ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops
I just tried the new version, I still get error message when trying to register
Cyclops, PM on the way, definitely trying to figure out what's going on with this on your version.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 07-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #122
antb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

Ron -

Definitely too late for lglg, but I can reinstall and see if I come across the same problem.

The delay when changing news sources confused me because I didn't notice any "updating.." Message. I'm not suggesting that it wasn't there, just that it went unnoticed and I was looking at my screen - maybe its something that can be better displayed if its going to cause confusion when ignored. Then again I could just have missed it on my own visual miscue looking at something else on the screen.

I'm not big into the font issue - and I definitely understand the "let's get it working then add the bells and whistles later" approach. The suggestion was raised because for whatever reason (call me crazy) I tend to migrate towards apps that allow me to keep a uniform "feel" to my interfaces. I like to go from im to email to whatever and not see 3 different "looks"

As far as the price - I'd much rather have the OPTION of paying once and getting a limited set of upgrades (say 90 days) and then whatever version I end up with within those 90 days is mine forever. Than paying once and knowing that in 12mos I'm going to have to pay again just to keep doing what I've been doing. I don't like the idea of rented apps. If I want to upgrade - then let me make that choice without threatening discontinuation of my current. Sound reasonable?

Anyway - I have some free time so i'll reinstall and see if I can recreate the exception and if so get u the data

Thanks

Ant
Old 07-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #123
antb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok no dice trying to recreate the exception - but something else happened haha.

I installed, started setting up cities and received phone call. After call completed I finished setting up cities, finished initial setup and received another call. When that call finished I had to 'update all now'. Once I did that I went into the settings to change news sources... Once in the sources list my bb started dragging BIG time. The highlighted bar that highlights what source in the list you're on would freeze for seconds. I then decided to push the resources and see if I could force a crash. I hot keyed to an im program, then hot keyed to desktop alt lglg then back to journal. All of this was sluggish (over 20 secs for lglg to open and it did so while I was in journal because I was switching rapidly). Once the "queue" of tasks cleared I switched back to im client and was getting an hour glass every couple seconds. Never had this happen before. I switched back to journal and couldn't find a button to actually exit the app! I checked status on my device and my avail mem was down to approx 27m bytes from 37m bytes!!!!! I uninstalled journal, rebooted, and now all is fine.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:18 AM   #124
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by antb
Ok no dice trying to recreate the exception - but something else happened haha.

I installed, started setting up cities and received phone call. After call completed I finished setting up cities, finished initial setup and received another call. When that call finished I had to 'update all now'. Once I did that I went into the settings to change news sources... Once in the sources list my bb started dragging BIG time. The highlighted bar that highlights what source in the list you're on would freeze for seconds. I then decided to push the resources and see if I could force a crash. I hot keyed to an im program, then hot keyed to desktop alt lglg then back to journal. All of this was sluggish (over 20 secs for lglg to open and it did so while I was in journal because I was switching rapidly). Once the "queue" of tasks cleared I switched back to im client and was getting an hour glass every couple seconds. Never had this happen before. I switched back to journal and couldn't find a button to actually exit the app! I checked status on my device and my avail mem was down to approx 27m bytes from 37m bytes!!!!! I uninstalled journal, rebooted, and now all is fine.
There is an exit to the app that is under options / general / close ... You have definitely found an interesting one, as that is *way* more memory than JB normally uses. Could you PM me with the cities that you set up? I've seen something like this on the latest version once before, and I haven't been able to repro it to track it down. Hmm. you seem to have the magic touch to get things to break. I need to hire you as a tester

Thanks, and apologies if that caused you some grief!

Ron

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:37 AM   #125
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Actually I think I just found the bug you saw Ant, it happens only when you start the app under just the right conditions. Theoretically the memory would come back, but it would massively slow the system down, as it would keep allocating a bunch of new bitmaps to update the system icon ... Side effect of my changing to day / night icons on the device.

I should have a fix for this up tomorrow.

Thanks for the find! This is one that had me worried, so I'm super happy to track that down. I had run into it once on my wifes BB but couldn't get it to happen again.

Last edited by ronrad; 07-10-2006 at 01:47 AM..
Old 07-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #126
antb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrad
Actually I think I just found the bug you saw Ant, it happens only when you start the app under just the right conditions. Theoretically the memory would come back, but it would massively slow the system down, as it would keep allocating a bunch of new bitmaps to update the system icon ... Side effect of my changing to day / night icons on the device.

I should have a fix for this up tomorrow.

Thanks for the find! This is one that had me worried, so I'm super happy to track that down. I had run into it once on my wifes BB but couldn't get it to happen again.
Cool

The cities were atlanta, toronto, nyc, jersey city, and cincinnati

You mentioned bitmaps and that makes perfect sense. When I received the second call the app was left in a state trying to connect. Once the call was over the homescreen icon was blank/blue. I'm assuming this is because there was no connection. Once I updated all it changed to the proper icon for my default city. So I guess it just keeps sending that icon not realizing it is already updated? If that's the case wouldn't this happen anytime a user runs the app without connectivity and then regains it and updates? Just guessing.

And yes - you should hire me as a tester . Pay me in unlimited unlocks and advance betas hahaha

Pin me if u have anything else - Its a lot quicker: pin:23d78b07

Ant
Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #127
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Latest version posted crashing bug fixed!

New version is up with a few new things, including help (although the links within the page are still not working for help)

And the bug that a few people hit that would eat a bunch of memory up on their device when left overnight has been fixed in this version as well.

For those of you on 0.98, the autoupdate feature should kick in either when you close (options / general / close journal bar) and restart, or sometime within the next 24 hours when it does the next version check.

Enjoy!

Ron
Old 07-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #128
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Hi Ron-

Is the OTA link still http://www.journalbar.com/JB/OTA/jb2.jad which includes the newest bugfixes? Looking forward to giving the BB version a go after loving it on my old ppc phone.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #129
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel

new to bb how do i get this loaded under my app loader? i find the file you post and hit add and i get an error that there isn't an application to work with this file?

help..
Old 07-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #130
backbeat
No longer Registered.

OK, so I went ahead and dl/installed from the link I asked about above. Version .99.

Cannot get weather to update, either on a schedule or manually. Have tried different update intervals to no avail. Tried 'Wireless Off/On' as well as pulling the battery, again to no avail. Am I missing a setting elsewhere or is there a limitation while this is still in beta that isn't referenced?? I'd like to see this work.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #131
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan
new to bb how do i get this loaded under my app loader? i find the file you post and hit add and i get an error that there isn't an application to work with this file?

help..
Hi Tritan, the easiest way to load is usually the Over the air. You take your browser, and click on the menu, choose go to, and then enter the following link exactly (it IS case sensitive)

http://www.journalbar.com/JB/OTA/jb2.jad

If this doesn't work for you, or you prefer to try the desktop version, go to the desktop download page, and then download the self extracting zip file. It should run automatically when downloaded, and unzip. If it doesn't, you need to run the app. It will ask you for an install directory on your PC, by default, "c:\program files\omegaone\jb-bb"

Once it is unzipped, you should be able to run setup.exe from that folder (again, it should be automatic when it unzips)

If this all fails, after you have unzipped, you can use application manager / loader to download the file, after it is unzipped, by using the add programs from the application manager, and pointing it to your install directory.

(Defaulting at c:\program files\omegaone\jb-bb)

Please let me know if you are unable to get this to work, and I will follow up.

Regards,

Ron
Old 07-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #132
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
OK, so I went ahead and dl/installed from the link I asked about above. Version .99.

Cannot get weather to update, either on a schedule or manually. Have tried different update intervals to no avail. Tried 'Wireless Off/On' as well as pulling the battery, again to no avail. Am I missing a setting elsewhere or is there a limitation while this is still in beta that isn't referenced?? I'd like to see this work.
Backbeat, I need to follow up with you to figure out what is going on. PM sent ...
Old 07-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #133
Cyclops
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Does JournalBar only work with a BES or can it work without?

Never mind
Old 07-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #134
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrad
Backbeat, I need to follow up with you to figure out what is going on. PM sent ...
PM reply back to you.

Follow-up since the PM was sent:

Came back to the BB8700 to check for any change/improvement. When I first tried opening the Weather section, I got an Uncaught Exception: Too Many Threads ... notification. Once clicking the 'Yes' to clear the notification, all the data filled up JournalBar. Now, to see if updates occur as they should. Hopefully, this is a step in the right direction. Uncertain if you may have tweaked something in the time since I left you the PM or if this was pure happenstance.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #135
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel

anybody have screen shots of this product? please, please pretty please.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:16 PM   #136
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops
Does JournalBar only work with a BES or can it work without?

Never mind
In theory, it should work with all configurations that can access the internet. I've worked hard on getting a connectivity sensing algorithm to work, and it seems to work well in most cases!
Old 07-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #137
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan
anybody have screen shots of this product? please, please pretty please.
Hi Tritan, we have some screen shots on the website
http://www.journalbar.com/bb/install.html

More should be up sometime soon! (And more flavors of screen size for the various BB devices)
Old 07-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #138
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Are there any other Telstra OS 4.1.0.309 users who are also trying the JournalBar beta? I'm trying to narrow down what makes my 8700G unique, preventing it from receiving updates on a regular basis. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:09 PM   #139
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
Are there any other Telstra OS 4.1.0.309 users who are also trying the JournalBar beta? I'm trying to narrow down what makes my 8700G unique, preventing it from receiving updates on a regular basis. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I run Telstra 4.1.0.309 on an 8700c with Cingular and haven't seen this issue specifically. I have seen issues where I attempt to view news and the browser locks up at 10% downloaded. My only option is to escape back to Journal Bar.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #140
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrock
I run Telstra 4.1.0.309 on an 8700c with Cingular and haven't seen this issue specifically. I have seen issues where I attempt to view news and the browser locks up at 10% downloaded. My only option is to escape back to Journal Bar.
Thanks for the response!

Ron from OmegaOne has been monitoring and working on this for a bit, but I'm still getting intermittent updating. Today was the best performance, in that I was able to fully d/l News for the first time, and Weather continued to update for almost all the day. Only had to restart the program once so far today. Looking forward to getting the bugs exterminated to I can relax and just enjoy.
Closed Thread