Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Apple Mail attachments and BB 8700c

Please Login to Remove!

I created a new desktop image today (I've attached it here if anyone would like it) and attempted to send it to my 8700c via email as an attachment using Mail. However, doing so only resulted in an empty (attachment-less) email arriving on the BB. I tried attaching both by dragging the new file to the open email compostion window and by using the browse for attachement way. I then tried this with other types of files, thinking that it might be related to .jpgs, but no dice. I fired up my browser and went to my Gmail account and sent it from there and it worked perfectly.

Anyone else encounter this issue? Does Mail handle attachments differently than say Entourage or Outlook? I have "Always send Windows friendly attachments" checked, but they still won't show up on the BB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mac_bb_background.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	3112  
Old 05-02-2006, 01:02 AM   #2
brace! brace!
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

I just downloaded the image and sent it to my BB from Mail. Normally I don't bother clicking "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" option but in this case I did and I received it okay.

Once I received the message, I was able to select "Open Attachments" and then open the Content of the attachment so I could download the image and save it in my pictures area on the BB.

Worked okay for me. My Mail settings for composing are the detault I think (ie compose Rich Text messages etc) so not sure what's going on with your email attachments. If you want, I can try and email it to you from my computer.

cheers
brace! brace!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile

Had the same problem and found the answer this weekend -

Mail:Preferences:Composing:Message Format

Set to Plain Text vs Rich Text.

Attachments are now recognized. Weird isn't it?

And this only occurred after an upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4.6
Old 05-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
brace! brace!

Chinasaur,

That's interesting. I just tried sending plain text, RTF, with and without clicking "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" again and all emails and attachments went through just fine.

I'm using Mail 2.07 on 10.4.5 (PPC of course) and all my attachments get recognised. I seem to recall they did something with Mail under 10.4 which improved attachment compatibility but I think that was in receiving mail only rather than sending. Not too sure.

We'll just have to wait and see if the OP has fixed the problem.

cheers
Old 05-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
getthething
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Tmobile

I was just about to post the exact same problem. I haven't tried changing the rich format to plain text. I will try it and report back. In the mean time anybody else have and ideas? I have tried from both of my accounts (aim, and gmail) i am running 10.4.6

Last edited by getthething; 05-04-2006 at 06:02 PM..
Old 05-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Plain text instead of RTF is the ticket. Worked like a charm. Weird, though. I wonder what the difference between a RTF email with an attachment is versus a plain text with an attachment.

Should have posted this earlier, but I'm on an Intel Mac running 10.4.5.

Thanks for the fix!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
getthething
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine
Plain text instead of RTF is the ticket. Worked like a charm. Weird, though. I wonder what the difference between a RTF email with an attachment is versus a plain text with an attachment.

Should have posted this earlier, but I'm on an Intel Mac running 10.4.5.

Thanks for the fix!
No dice for me. I changed the email to plain text and i still get blank emails. Any other ideas? I'm using an 8700g with tmobile, power pc, 10.4.6. The weirdest thing is that i've successfully emailed myself pictures from my computer before.

Last edited by getthething; 05-05-2006 at 10:59 AM..
Old 05-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
I created a new desktop image today (I've attached it here if anyone would like it) and attempted to send it to my 8700c via email as an attachment using Mail.
I like it!

Old 05-05-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
getthething
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just tried sending a picture from mozilla thunderbird from my computer and i received the attachment just fine.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile

jonlevine, glad it worked.. I was happy to get my mail app back in business too

gettheking, yeah. Any other app other than Mail doesn't seem to have the problem..just Mail. Sorry it didn't work for you.

BTW, did you try Plain Text w/out "windows friendly" attachments OFF? I don't use Windows Friendly attachments along with Plain Text and it works for me..but then I'm on 10.4.6.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #11
brace! brace!

OK, it's good to see that people are starting to get this working with Mail. Anyone left still having problems with Mail adding attachments, post them and I think together we can work out what the problem is. Don't forget to post OS version (Intel or PPC) & Mail version.

I think Mail version clearly has something to do with this. The only way the BB would not pick up the attachment would have to do with the encoding.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
getthething
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok so i just sent one with rich text and the windows friendly attachment box check and it worked. Then sent one with plain text text no checkmark and it didn't work then plain text with the checkmark and it worked. The windows friendly checkmark seems to be the key (for me at least). I've never used that checkbox before and have successfully emailed pictures to myself. Could it have anything to do with which email address your sending to? ie: [email address], or [email address]
Old 05-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #13
brace! brace!

getthething,

Yes, it's possible that the email account that you send the message to (before getting forwarded to a BIS server could be removing the attachments. However this is unlikely as the strip attachment option is usually well hidden in user options or just not provided at all. So, it probably just comes down to some setting somewhere.

BB: 8700g
PIN: 20403872
Google Talk: brace.brace
Old 05-07-2006, 03:08 AM   #14
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've actually tried all of the combos (window friendly + rtf, no windows friendsly +rtf, etc) and the only thing that works is if the message is sent as plain text (either with windows friendly or not).

Weird.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #15
brace! brace!

Quote:
I've actually tried all of the combos (window friendly + rtf, no windows friendsly +rtf, etc) and the only thing that works is if the message is sent as plain text (either with windows friendly or not).

Weird.
Weird indeed!

Noted you are on an Intel Mac. Tomorrow night I'll stop by a friend's place who has an Intel iMac and I'll try it out to see what the problem could be. Despite PPC and Intel having the same version numbers, I've already noted some differences in the actual output of the two different systems when you dig down below what the user sees. I noted this when logging HTTP requests to find another issue but that was with Safari and unrelated to the BB.

If possible, I'll have a closer look and see just how the encoding is occuring.

BB: 8700g
PIN: 20403872
Google Talk: brace.brace
Closed Thread