BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Can Anyone Point Me to Outlook.com Info?

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings everyone.

In another thread, I've attempted to seek assistance in synchronizing my BB Z10 with my Outlook calendar and contacts using USB connection to the computer and BB Link. There's no need to add anything to what I've already posted, and it's apparent that many, many of my fellow BB OS10 users are experiencing the same issue. Of course, I am absolutely LIVID over the fact that what I could once do in about sixty seconds with a few clicks of a mouse on my very first BB more than ten years ago (that is, sync calendar and contacts using USB connection and BB Desktop Manager) is now IMPOSSIBLE with the current Z10/OS10/BB Link configuration. BB Link simply can't write data to the device (can't even perform a backup of the device). BTW: This was NOT the case until the most recent OS and BB Link software upgrade. It is absolutely unfathomable. More than a decade has gone by, yet the "new, mega-wonder" OS10 and Z10 can't do what my lowly BBs did way back when.

Some have said to be patient and wait until the bugs are fixed in BB Link, and that USB-connected BBs running OS10 will likely be able to sync locally once the software has been upgraded. So...

Reluctantly, I'll try what I've been reading about: establishing an account at Outlook.com, and syncing wirelessly. However, I'm unable to find precise information as to how to go about doing all that.

I am NOT asking anyone to take the time to outline the necessary steps to accomplish this. I just would like to have someone provide me with links to sites where I can get information on the procedure to upload my calendar and contact data to Outlook.com and then wirelessly sync to my BB Z10. I'll tackle it on my own. So far, my on-line searches have not resulted in the info I seek.

Thanks!

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)

Last edited by Bobb; 03-20-2014 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Fix Spelling
Old 03-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default Re: Can Anyone Point Me to Outlook.com Info?

Add your outlook.com account to the BlackBerry. You will be asked to Sync Contacts/Calender/Tasks. It should be directly under Edit Folder Option on your Account Edit screen.

After that you do not need to do anything.

Import Calender to outlook.com http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...t-vs-subscribe

Importing contacts from where? This link should have you covered. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 03-20-2014 at 03:03 PM..
Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

BlackBerry has made adding Outlook super easy. When you add Outlook to your email accounts you'll have the option to include Contacts and Calendar. In fact, they'll be checked off to be included by default.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
Add your outlook.com account to the BlackBerry. You will be asked to Sync Contacts/Calender/Tasks. It should be directly under Edit Folder Option on your Account Edit screen.

After that you do not need to do anything.

Import Calender to outlook.com Import or subscribe to a calendar in Outlook.com - Microsoft Windows

Importing contacts from where? This link should have you covered. Import, export, or change the format for contacts - Microsoft Windows Help
THANKS! I'll run through all of that and give it a try. I just have to do SOMETHING to sync my calendar and contacts until RIM updates the BB Link and OS10 so I can regain "local control" of syncing. Funny how something I could do with a few mouse clicks and a few minutes with my first BB over a decade ago can't be done now! Ugh!!

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
PJD642
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
PIN: N/A

What ZombieBerry been suggested should work just fine for you. I got so damn frustrated with Link and trying to sync and back up contacts & calendars, until I just said F* link, quit using it entirely, and added an outlook.com account to my Q10. Now everything stays sync'd, calendar, tasks & contacts all match without duplicates, and I don't have to hook the phone to the PC or do anything.

The only thing Link is useful for is making sure your PC has the drivers to allow you to run autoloaders or Sachesi when loading a beta OS.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJD642 View Post
What ZombieBerry been suggested should work just fine for you. I got so damn frustrated with Link and trying to sync and back up contacts & calendars, until I just said F* link, quit using it entirely, and added an outlook.com account to my Q10. Now everything stays sync'd, calendar, tasks & contacts all match without duplicates, and I don't have to hook the phone to the PC or do anything.

The only thing Link is useful for is making sure your PC has the drivers to allow you to run autoloaders or Sachesi when loading a beta OS.
Thanks for your comments. My only assertion...and I believe it's totally valid...is that BB Link clearly indicates that it is supposed to be able to do a "hardwired sync" of calendar and contacts via a USB connection to a computer. That's what Link says it can do, SO IT SHOULD DO IT!!! Wouldn't anyone agree? Sure, other schemes may work, and that's cool, but all I'm saying that if any piece of software claims it can do something, it should do what is says it can. I hope it does, indeed, get fixed.

Thanks all!

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
ZombieBerry

Well, aside from last year (May) when they announced one way sync, they said two way would be right behind it. Guess not.

I wouldn't hold your breath, as it has almost been a year since it was announced.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Since BlackBerry should/is concentrating on enterprise accounts, I very much doubt that we'll see any major Link improvements. It is one terrible piece of software.
It can take backups...
Old 03-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
ZombieBerry

It can take backups...sometimes

FTFY
Old 03-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Ditto on the Outlook.com account. It was the best thing I ever did. Everything works perfectly.

Link....only when I have 10-15 minutes to wait for it to run and finally connect to my phone.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post

FTFY
I have YET to be able to successfully perform a backup of my Z10 using BB Link! I've been attempting it for over two months.

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my original post and has shared information. Embarrassingly, I have to admit that I am even more baffled than I was before. I have attempted to follow some of the instructions you have given, only to encounter things which I just can't understand, despite hours of trying.

Let me see if I have this correctly understood: by establishing an outlook.com account, I should then be able to create/delete entries on my Outlook calendar on my computer, then upload them to my calendar in my Outlook.com account, and then download/sync that back into my Z10....am I comprehending that correctly?

My bewilderment must appear quite amusing to many of you....LOL. I sure as hell thought I was pretty savvy, but I guess I'm not!!

I'll keep plugging away....

(Suburban Philadelphia)

Last edited by Bobb; 03-31-2014 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Added Content
Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
I have YET to be able to successfully perform a backup of my Z10 using BB Link! I've been attempting it for over two months.

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my original post and has shared information. Embarrassingly, I have to admit that I am even more baffled than I was before. I have attempted to follow some of the instructions you have given, only to encounter things which I just can't understand, despite hours of trying.

Let me see if I have this correctly understood: by establishing an outlook.com account, I should then be able to create/delete entries on my Outlook calendar on my computer, then upload them to my calendar in my Outlook.com account, and then download/sync that back into my Z10....am I comprehending that correctly?

My bewilderment must appear quite amusing to many of you....LOL. I sure as hell thought I was pretty savvy, but I guess I'm not!!

I'll keep plugging away....
Once you have an Outlook account on your BlackBerry the syncing of events should be automatic and over the air. Type an event into your calendar on your pc and it will arrive on your BlackBerry seconds (or minutes in some cases) automatically. And it should work both ways: pc --> BlackBerry and BlackBerry --> pc.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Once you have an Outlook account on your BlackBerry the syncing of events should be automatic and over the air. Type an event into your calendar on your pc and it will arrive on your BlackBerry seconds (or minutes in some cases) automatically. And it should work both ways: pc --> BlackBerry and BlackBerry --> pc.
Yet again....THANKS! I'm going to give it another go. Your patience is just wonderful.

Will this also sync contacts in this manner? Those are just as important to me as having my calendar syncing with the Z10. All other apps are wonderful, but I could do without them if I had too, so valuable is having my calendar (with alarms!) and contacts on my Z10.

(Suburban Philadelphia)

Last edited by Bobb; 04-02-2014 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Add content.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I'm making progress, but I have one VERY important question:

I installed "Outlook Connector" within Outlook on my computer. Then I opened an account on outlook.com, using a microsoft.com account that I believe I created a long time ago but never accessed until now. Surprisingly, the calendar on outlook.com did populate with the data that's in my Outlook calendar on my computer! No contacts were imported to Outlook.com, HOWEVER, I find over 300 people in my outlook.com "people" section! I have no clue as to how they got in there, but let's not dwell on that. What I'd like to do is close that Outlook.com account and wipe everything out. I'll then create a new account and proceed. I just need to know one thing (and it's a HUGE thing!):

When I close my account on Outlook.com, will that affect the contacts and calendar that are in Outlook on my computer? I know it seems silly to ask that, as I'm assuming that deleting my Outlook.com account will have no effect on the data in my Outlook application on my computer...BUT I MUST STILL BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT THIS IS THE CASE!

Better to ask a stupid question and feel stupid BUT still have my data on my computer intact!

Thanks for your advice.

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 04-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

you should be able to export your data to a PST file and then you will have a backup of it all
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzn View Post
Dude, you don't use the same software as the OP. He's using a Z10 and BB Link. You have BlackBerry Desktop Software with your 9700.
Closed Thread