Old 08-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #161
9duc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (9630)

@ patriot123-

The date code is on the box, just below one of the bar codes, above where it says it was made. I read that somewhere on these forums, so I'm not 100% sure that is the actual manufacture date, but it seems to make sense.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:52 AM   #162
bigdaadio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
PIN: chin pennies
Carrier: sprint

I just activated my new Tour last evening, and other than all the OTHER quirks

Some TOUR issues I noticed...

My SMS messages dont come bundled with my other email accounts. Am I doing something wrong? Its very annoying to have to open another icon when a SMS comes in.

Browser speed- No faster than my pizz-slow curve on Sprint- Do I need to change carriers? ( It's definitely a $ thing here , there SE plan is VERY hard to beat.

And the biggest ( for me) after asking the sprint rep at BB activations, I was told NO PHONE AS A MODEM, with the tour... Whatta?

Any input?
Thanks
Dean
Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #163
patriot123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9duc View Post
Wirelessly posted (9630)

@ patriot123-

The date code is on the box, just below one of the bar codes, above where it says it was made. I read that somewhere on these forums, so I'm not 100% sure that is the actual manufacture date, but it seems to make sense.
Thanks! Looks like 7/7/09. Bought it on 7/30, so that would seem reasonable. Says handheld manufactured in Canada. Battery door seems a little loose ... very small IMHO. Other than that, build seems fine. Sound is very good. The only thing that sounds muffled is the ring tone in the ear piece when calling someone. Does not seem to effect voice quality either way.

I've been using BB's for 4 or 5 years now .... nice phone!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #164
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaadio View Post
My SMS messages dont come bundled with my other email accounts. Am I doing something wrong? Its very annoying to have to open another icon when a SMS comes in.
From the Messages inbox, press the Berry Key | Options | General Options - down near the bottom, there is an option to have SMS and Email inboxes either Combined, Separated, or Theme-Controlled.

Quote:
Browser speed- No faster than my pizz-slow curve on Sprint- Do I need to change carriers? ( It's definitely a $ thing here , there SE plan is VERY hard to beat.
Can't speak to that on Sprint - Verizon is plenty snappy.

Quote:
And the biggest ( for me) after asking the sprint rep at BB activations, I was told NO PHONE AS A MODEM, with the tour... Whatta?
Verizon definitely permits tethering - I'll be using mine that way daily until summer is over. I'm playing by the rules and paying the extra $30 a month for the privilege - but it's working great. Does Sprint not allow this?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #165
angieth08
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajones19 View Post
Verizon definitely permits tethering - I'll be using mine that way daily until summer is over. I'm playing by the rules and paying the extra $30 a month for the privilege - but it's working great. Does Sprint not allow this?
Sprint allows tethering... I'm usually connected 8-10 hours daily via USB or Bluetooth. I pay $15/month for the service, but was told that if I used less than 5gb/month, it would be considered casual and I could eliminate the charge. I do know that the Simply Everything (Unlimited) plan does not have the PAM add-on, but call Sprint back to inquire about casual usage. I know people who aren't being billed for it with smaller data usage, but I also know people who have been restricted from it for "stealing" the access and they were clearly going over the 5gb/month -which is far more than what's considered "casual".

As for Browser speeds, my suggestion is to use Opera Mini and/or Bolt as opposed to the native browser; I'm experiencing ultra-fast connect & page loading.

Hope this helps...
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. ~ James 5:16
Old 08-15-2009, 01:51 AM   #166
benh

Model: 8830
Carrier: bell mobility

on my first tour with bell mobility it had the creaky top ear piece, LCD screen rippling and then trackball issues. it would lockup randomly 4-5x/day. only way to fix the trackball was a battery pull. I just received my replacement. right off the bat, it has an issue with top speaker. the sound of the person i was talking too sound very tinny and loud and vibrated the whole phone. it sounded like a buzzing bee in my ear. Such crappy quality control RIM!! am not impressed!! what a POS product! I'm not expecting much on the 3rd replacement coming next week.

Last edited by benh; 08-15-2009 at 01:52 AM..
Old 08-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #167
dimi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

I just switched from VZW (treo755p) to Sprint. Got a Palm Pre that I am returning tomorrow because it doesn't do a good job syncing outlook. I was going to get a BB (never owned one . . . 14 years of Palms). I thought the Tour was the best bet but based on this thread I am wondering if I should go for the 8330 curve instead. Is that a better choice? I need a phone that vibrates correctly since I never turn the ringer on and poor call sound would be bad.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #168
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Wirelessly posted (Tour)

I can honestly tell you this is one of the best BB's I have ever owned. I don't expect it to replace my pc though. If you want something that will sync with Outlook and is secure. You can't go wrong. But try it out for yourself.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #169
Dyoungjr

Carrier: sprint
Default 9630 Clock Problem

I have the 9630 Tour from Sprint. Great phone but the clock is 6 minutes slow!When I go to the set time function it shows that the network time (which is what my phone is set to) is 6 minutes faster than what the clock time of the bb is. How can i fix this? Thanks...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #170
djdonnyk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9850
PIN: 32FDED**
Carrier: Sprint/Now Network

I have had mine since the day it launched, so far all is good except it just recently started acting silly with a white screen. It has done this twice once after I finished typing a text and then after ending a phone call. I assume this may be a software issue, anyone else had this issue?

Last edited by djdonnyk; 08-17-2009 at 07:18 PM..
Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #171
BoogieNYC

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Follow-up on my earlier post:

I went to Verizon because -- I'm sort of ashamed to admit this -- every time I would play Texas Hold 'Em (that comes standard with the device, mind you) I was getting a spinning clock icon every time I went to bet (T). Sometimes it'd last for 15 or so seconds, and I was really getting irritated. Not a big deal, but I figured if that was happening, I was wondering what would be happening next. Also, the battery door and the call timer were issues I mentioned.

The VZW tech replaced the battery door and it's much better (barely jiggles, whereas the original moved around like a lily pad on the surface of a pond). The battery life is awful, which she confirmed; no fix until -- if/when -- they tweak the OS to address this. It doesn't look good, btw, b/c the Storm has the same battery and, unfortunately, we all know how well that's gone. Finally, the call timer issue (weird random numbers in lieu of the actual, proper call timer, appear at the end of a call before they revert to the proper number).

Her recommendation was to make sure the device was backed up completely and do a wipe/restore. The clock icon is still a problem (elsewhere too, but Texas Hold 'Em is the most pronounced example of this problem) and the battery life...well, my battery died yesterday afternoon and the Tour would only power on to say "battery drained...shutting down handheld."

They shipped me a replacement, should be getting it today. Hopefully everything will be solved with the new incoming device.

Or at least one can hope
Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #172
ramonaquimby

thank goodness mine has been more than fantastic. i do have this thread bookmarked just in case, though :(

it's my first BB and i am very very pleased. battery is fantastic, trackball smooth, and syncing/media superb. we'll see. loving it so far, though!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #173
mnlg

PIN: 30c42b85
Carrier: verizon
Default text ans picture messaging

Is there a way to seperate text messages from picture messages? I would like to find out how to have a seperate icon for picture messages.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #174
rvinny
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsaa View Post
Tour has no Wifi
Tour cannot do voice and data at the same time.
When 5.0 comes out, the Bold will be the best device (I think it still is).
The Tour is awesome, but I may have to agree with you, the Bold is still the king of the BB heap IMO. Add a 3.2 shooter and it reigns for another year.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #175
rvinny
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmuras View Post
Has anyone had any success getting a corporate Verizon Rep to lower prices on the BlackBerry Tour? I really want one (mostly to see how fast I can break it), but I do not want to go buy one espically if I can get my Verizon Rep to get me one for a lower cost.

-mmuras
I called to cancel my service and they gave me one for $99. That's not bad.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #176
U_did_what

I've had mine almost two weeks and the track ball won't register down or left. Going back to the store when they open.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #177
iJon

Model: none
Carrier: VODAFONE

Seriously, you guys got me confused xD
I'm thinking in ordering the BB tour from the amazon website and than unlock it for my current carrier....
I had some doubts 'cause I've been reading some reviews on this and some said the battery door jiggles, some said it had bad voice sound, some said they had problems with the track ball, some said it's a great BB.... Sounds like too many problems :S Are all you guys experiencing problems with you tour? 'Cause I'm ordering mine from amazon, so I can't go to the store and complain about any problem, which sucks :S
Old 08-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #178
rvinny
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJon View Post
Seriously, you guys got me confused xD
I'm thinking in ordering the BB tour from the amazon website and than unlock it for my current carrier....
I had some doubts 'cause I've been reading some reviews on this and some said the battery door jiggles, some said it had bad voice sound, some said they had problems with the track ball, some said it's a great BB.... Sounds like too many problems :S Are all you guys experiencing problems with you tour? 'Cause I'm ordering mine from amazon, so I can't go to the store and complain about any problem, which sucks :S
Most of the issues have been with people who bought the phone when it first came out. The stuff shipping now seems to be a better product. It's hard to say what kind of stock Amazon has but if you get a bum one you should be able to swap it through your carrier. You have a contract with them after all. Or are you buying an unlocked one at full price?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #179
matt992

Carrier: Bell Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbp View Post
It really depends on which hand you hold the phone in when on calls. For half the people the move is better and for half it is worse.
The USB charging port is in the wrong position, it shouldn't be on the sides where your hands go. Left or right are both bad if you use two hands like many do. Put it at the top, or bottom, or simply include a charging cradle to use the back charging points.

micro USB? it isn't really smaller than miniUSB, which my other devices have (ps3 controllers old mp3 players).
microUSB looks like it's a weak point that will break. Claiming it's "standard" isn't an excuse to use a bad design. The most common breakage I hear of with laptops is the charging port.

For a phone that costs more than my last laptop, or desktop+monitor it should come with a decent cradle.

There is something wrong with the bluetooth audio.

Google maps not working with the GPS.

Reboots are way too long.
Even after it reboots it takes several minutes before it's up to full speed.

Default voice calling app works okay, but you can't save your own voice tags. I don't like having the names of the people I'm constantly calling repeatedly mispronounced by my phone.

Camera quality is poor and noisy, it looks like they have the room to increase the lens diameter which could have really helped the camera performance.

It's sometimes slow, even with just the default apps installed and running brick breaker would sometimes hang/stall for a fraction of a second.

After opening and closing the battery door ~10 times it got a bit loose.

Addressbook has poor support for calling cards, I would like to be able to dial the calling card, then dial the name already in my addressbook. Maybe there is a way to make a shortcut to accomplish this. (my long distance rates are excessive)

in messages - view folder- it has Inbox, but doesn't specify which inbox you are looking at.

Bad defaults
messages by default doesn't include sms texts, but includes almost everything else. Easy to fix, but annoying for a newbie.
Appstore after upgrade- prices in Euros?
The $ key was configured as a yen symbol.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #180
k9th
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30D86D60
Carrier: VZW

I have had NO problems with my Tour at all and love it. as for the beeps. mine are totally settable with whatever profile I want to develop. I have not upgraded the OS I received when I purchased the phone from VZW.