Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon
Default HELP: Absolutely Can Not Upgrade OS

Please Login to Remove!

I have never run into this problem before, and I can't find any solution that works. I have tried reinstalling the Desktop Manager, upgraded to the latest version, rebooted the PC, rebooted the BB... nothing.

I plug the BB into the computer. Windows recognizes it. I then start Loader.exe to upgrade to the latest OS (and I have already deleted the Vendor.xml file). Loader.exe connects to the BB just fine. I then get a list of software installed on my device. I uncheck the language files, and click next. I click on through (as I always have) to start the process. The BB goes black, and the red light comes on. Meanwhile, Loader.exe shows a quickly scrolling progress bar and states that it is uploading the ROM image (or something like that, it is step 1). Then, the red light on the BB goes out, and it is unresponsive. About a minute later, Loader.exe fails, and complains that communications was lost (and gives an error code: Unspecified error encountered [A:0x00000001]. Wow... that helps!

At this point, the BB is still unresponsive. I have to pull the battery to get it to come back to life. However, when it does, the device works fine (as in it hasn't been wiped out), but of course, the latest OS is not installed.

I never had this problem with my Bold, and never had it with any previous device. So what in the heck is going on? Why can't I get past the first step (if that step is even working properly in the first place)? Anyone out there have the magic cure?

I am running a Rogers Curve 8900 with OS 4.6.1.94 on AT&T in Georgia, if that helps. I am running Vista on Fusion on a Mac Pro, as well.

Thanks.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 01-10-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Ian I have had the process stop when using my docking station on my laptop. I assume you are have a direct USB connection. No hubs or docks. That sounds like what I have when I forget to take the dock off.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
ifonline
Magic Bananas

No hubs, no docks. Direct USB to computer via the very short, supplied USB cable.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
iliveinyourhead

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

i never use the loader i let DM do it and i dont seem to have any issues..

when you uninstalled did you go through and make sure all of the RIM directories were gone? just a thought.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Carrier: None

also what i found is you need to have all other previous OSs off your PC as well... so if you have .94 and .101 on there and you were trying to upgrade to .114 that may have been the issue as well... at least thats what i was finding when trying to upgrade and it wasnt working for me... try deleting all those old OSs and then try again, or since you got it to work now, maybe try that next time if you are having the same issue
Old 01-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Unfortunately, both were considered. I had no previous OS's for the 8900, and removed the OS I had for the 9000. When I uninstalled the DM, I made sure all directories were removed.

I am wondering if it is Windows Vista through virtualization on my Mac. Maybe the USB isn't implemented correctly? Maybe, when thinking about what Stinsonddog said, virtualization causes the USB ports on the Mac to behave more like hubs than direct ports?

I will try again using DM instead of Loader.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 01-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Well... I tried DM and it failed, once again. However, I noticed something. I was not able to remove Slacker from the device via DM. When I tried to remove Slacker from the device through the device itself, I was warned that Slacker was currently running. Odd, considering I wasn't using Slacker and I had not started it since the last reset. That got me thinking... the first thing DM tried to do during the upgrade process was pull Slacker from the phone for backup... and the process failed shortly thereafter.

I have removed Slacker and any remnants of it from the device. I am waiting for the device to reboot, and then I will try again through DM to upgrade the OS. My current thinking is that Slacker is somehow interferring with the upgrade process.

Will report back in a few.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 01-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Well... that was a bust. So much for my theory. I now can only assume that my problems stem from a virtualization of Windows on my Mac. I suppose I will have to borrow a Windows PC and try that to be sure.

This is turning into a big pain, and makes me really question getting this phone.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 01-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

i bet its the mac issue... sorry but BBs DM and macs do not mix nicely... like baking sode and vinegar... lol

i'm sure a PC will do it without issues...

on a side note, why are you upgrading your OS... i see your running .94... thats a solid build, why not just keep it and not upgrade if nothing is wrong?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I want to upgrade for two reasons:

1. I am a phone junkie, and I like to have the latest OS whenever possible.
2. I am having some minor issues with the phone at .94, and was hoping they would be fixed.

I am experiencing an odd lag when browsing applications contained within a folder. For example, when I click on the Applications folder, I see several icons for apps like calculator, voice control, etc. When I scroll using the trackball, the "cursor" jumps from icon to icon in a stuttering fashion. I don't see this from the main application window or from the home screen. Additionally, battery life seems to be a bit short, and reports indicate that it has improved with the latest OS.

Other than that, the only issue I currently have with the device is Sudoku and online games. There is a bug with the application that won't allow you to properly upload your score for each game. I doubt this one would be fixed with an OS upgrade, though.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

i can tell you right now that cursor thing you are talking about is the same in .114, i have the same issue, i have my downloaded folder and at times when i reboot its fine works like the home screen, but after a while it slows down... dont know why, but i rarely go into that folder so i live with it...

and i do understand the phone junkie, i'm the same...

as for battery life, it is a bit better, but not much... i'm testing as we speak to see if it really improved, but its hard to do when you tether as it charges while you tether lol
Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Dang... thanks for the info.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
tricky_ott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Unfortunately, both were considered. I had no previous OS's for the 8900, and removed the OS I had for the 9000. When I uninstalled the DM, I made sure all directories were removed.

I am wondering if it is Windows Vista through virtualization on my Mac. Maybe the USB isn't implemented correctly? Maybe, when thinking about what Stinsonddog said, virtualization causes the USB ports on the Mac to behave more like hubs than direct ports?

I will try again using DM instead of Loader.
I had very wonky issues using Vista virtualized on a Windows box before. I wouldn't say it is a mac only issue but the Vista virtualization issue.

I would always just use the host XP box to upgrade the device and it worked.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Thanks. This may be it, then. Now that I think about it, I had some flakey issues when upgrading the Bold, but it never outright refused to upgrade. Oh well... I will get my hands on an XP laptop tomorrow to try it out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I wanted to take a moment to follow-up with this... it appears that the culprit was running Windows in virtualization on my Mac. I got hold of a Windows Vista laptop, installed DM 4.7, installed OS 4.6.1.114, and hooked in to the BlackBerry. I fired up Loader.exe... Bam! Everything worked perfectly, and was finished in a record 8 minutes or so. Impressive.

So... I am left wondering where the breakdown is. Is it VMWare Fusion not handling USB properly? Is it Vista in virtualization not handling USB properly? Or is it something to do with DM running on a virtual PC?

In any case... my 8900 is now running 4.6.1.114, and is ready for the next OS update!

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #16
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: askme

Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

I think its a vista not a mac issue. I couldn't upgrade the os for nothing, I wiped, nuked, loader /nojvm, I mean nothing could do it with vista. I plugged the same device to the desktop running xp and upgrade went smoothly. Something is not right bw BlackBerry™ DM and vista.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
BB8900awesome
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Never had a issue with Vista with me. I am running windows 7 now, there are issues with that. But I made sure my laptop would dual boot vista and 7, and I can only upgrade with vista not 7.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #18
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: askme

Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8900awesome
Never had a issue with Vista with me. I am running windows 7 now, there are issues with that. But I made sure my laptop would dual boot vista and 7, and I can only upgrade with vista not 7.
Don't want to hijack the thread, please pin me on how you setup the dual boot with vista and 7 pin:249F9F3D
Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #19
iLawCDN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I had this problem before....

Long story short, it has to do with Fusion's handling of the USB port from Mac OS X to Vista in the VM.

What happens is when it reboots the phone (Screen goes black and the red light comes on), the connection via USB is dropped. Once the device turns back on, Mac OS X (the main OS in this case), grabs hold of the USB port. Now, usually Fusion would ask something like "The USB device 'Blackberry 8900 Smartphone' has been detected, would you like to use this device in 'Windows Vista'?"

Because of that Loader doesn't see the USB port anymore, it losses the connection. Fusion may reassign a the Blackberry to a different USB number (0002 vs 0001) for example, and so your blackberry isn't where Loader.exe expects it to be.

I've only really seen this issue on VMware Fusion 2.0 and higher. I don't know why.

The work around I have been doing is using Boot Camp, syncing via MobileMe, to Outlook, then syncing my Blackberry to Outlook.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #20
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Yeah... I don't think this is a Vista issue, although Vista has its share of problems. iLawCDN, I think you explained it best. Fusion isn't handling USB ports very well. Thanks for the details, by the way... interesting read.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Closed Thread