BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: What will you or have already purchased? (you may select multiple choices)
I am waiting for the Playbook, that is the device I want 121 70.35%
I will purchase a Windows 7 tablet 4 2.33%
I will purchase a Android tablet 9 5.23%
I will purchase a iPad tablet 8 4.65%
I have purchased an iPad/Android or Windows 7 and do not care to replace it with a Playbook 10 5.81%
I purchased an iPad and will repalce it with a Playbook 14 8.14%
I purchased an Android tablet and will replace it with a Playbook 4 2.33%
I purchased a Win 7 tablet and will replace it with a Playbook 2 1.16%
I do not need a tablet, and do not plan on purchasing one in the future, 17 9.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #41
swervable
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Will you purchase one?

Please Login to Remove!

I would love to get a playbook. My biggest concern about it is the lack of enterprise support without an existing Blackberry Device. I have a BB already but I think for this device to be as competitive as it should be, it needs to have enterprise support without a device. If that can happen I can then convince my boss to get at least one for me for testing. Nearly everyone here at my work are pro apple.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #42
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

As a developer I'd love the device - QNX, Java, Flash etc. - but it already sounds like RIM is going to sabotage this thing by making it dependent on Blackberry and/or RIM's proprietary network/legacy BS for such basic functions as email and calendar.

I won't be placing any preorders but I'll continue watching with interest.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #43
Sobo

Model: 9600
Carrier: Rogers

Watched a video of it, looks good, but would like to see the real stuff first before I buy it.

My friend told me the Playbook may be able to connect to iPhone, does anyone hear that before? I doubt it...
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #44
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobo View Post
My friend told me the Playbook may be able to connect to iPhone, does anyone hear that before? I doubt it...
Why would you doubt it? The PlayBook will connect to any WiFi hotspot... and the iPhone can be a WiFi hotspot, just like an Android device.

Current iPhones can be jailbroken to make use of MyWi and soon to be released iPhones from Verizon will have WiFi hotspot features built into iOS.

iOS 4.3 will bring WiFi hotspot functionality to all current model iPhones.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #45
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I will buy a tablet eventually. I don't know what kind I will end up getting.

I won't buy a tablet that I would only use for entertainment. I'm waiting for the right device to come along that would actually benefit me at work as well. The main feature I need for workplace support is good handwriting recognition.

Since all 4 tablet types you've listed here (BB, Win, iPad, Android) have comparable entertainment, communication and PIM support, and since I don't really have any niche needs that would require one type of device as opposed to another, I expect that the tablet I end up buying will be the first one to implement good solid handwriting support as part of the OS itself (as opposed to using some half-baked handwriting app).
Old 03-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #46
blackberryfreeware
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-mobile

Just got a nook color running honeycomb on as sd card. Would love to get my hands on the playbook but price will really affect my decision.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #47
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I spent an hour with one yesterday at Staples. They left me unmolested the entire time. I downloaded BlackBerry Bridge to my 9650 and linked it to the demo PlayBook. Easy and smooth, and immediately all my data was on the PlayBook. Very slick. No lag in the PlayBook OS, and a gorgeous screen.

What I didn't like was needing to keep my BlackBerry linked via Bluetooth to keep my stuff on it and to use Mail and the other BlackBerry services. It works well as a stand-alone tablet over WiFi but I don't think it will replace my iPad. Huge potential, but this is RIM's first go-round and I'm curious to see where they take it.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #48
sekmekji

Model: Z10
Carrier: Tmobile

My wife pre-ordered one for my bday from bestbuy but they didnxxx8217;t ship it till the day it was released which meant I didnxxx8217;t get it till several days after (and yes they did charge shipping)......so when I got it and realized she got the 16gb I called around found a bestbuy that had the 64gb and exchanged it the same day I got it......gotta say it's pretty nice looking and in theory a great toy...bridged it with my torch and worked great.....problem is after about 20 minutes of playing with it I put it down.....I was done....nothing more to do........I am a diehard blackberry consumer and a tech freak....I setup my own BES at work...Ixxx8217;m a RIM stock holder...the whole nine yards....but I was soooooooo disappointed...I told myself to give it a few more days....and after a few days same thing....after 10 min's I was bored of it...maybe they havenxxx8217;t released all the apps for it (not even a bbm app) but for $599 and the amount of time we waited for it's release, not to mention all the other tablets that beat RIM to the punch I was turned off.....I returned it and got all my money back except for the $9 shipping....I couldxxx8217;ve complained but I was happy they didnxxx8217;t charge me a restocking fee......I did a quick search and found viewsonic has a cheap tablet that can do most of the stuff if not more and was less than half the price....I haven't bought anything else but may soon....I haven't given up completly on RIM.....I bought more shares when it bottomed out recently but they gotta shake things up.....
Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #49
sandboxshooter

Model: 9780
Carrier: TMobile

I got mine here in Iraq yesterday and love it. It'll be nice when I'm traveling back and forth across the pond. More travel friendly. And with the quick rush of apps now and the imminent opening of Android apps, I think it'll be a game changer.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #50
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

I have one, my 6 year old twins have one, wife has one and might need one for my mom soon.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #51
red_jude
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: orange

Apparently not released in the UK yet so I was prepared to wait............until I realised I could get one.
Have had 4 BB phones, now have the Torch 9800 and love it.
Why would I want anything other than the PB, Id feel like a defector.

Everyone talks about Androids, ipads, iphones. I dont want the same as everyone else and must say I think the PB is a great size and stylish.

Bit gutted I cant download Citrix Receiver though, I really wanted to be a full mobile worker but cant use my work server without Citrix, boo hoo:((
Old 06-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #52
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

there is a vnc client to tie you over, maybe make a PC the middleman with citrix on it.
It doesn't even matter

Old 06-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #53
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I spent an hour with one yesterday at Staples. They left me unmolested the entire time. I downloaded BlackBerry Bridge to my 9650 and linked it to the demo PlayBook. Easy and smooth, and immediately all my data was on the PlayBook. Very slick. No lag in the PlayBook OS, and a gorgeous screen.

What I didn't like was needing to keep my BlackBerry linked via Bluetooth to keep my stuff on it and to use Mail and the other BlackBerry services. It works well as a stand-alone tablet over WiFi but I don't think it will replace my iPad. Huge potential, but this is RIM's first go-round and I'm curious to see where they take it.
Same, same.

The lack of 3g was a dealbreaker for me, as far as the Playbook replacing my iPad.

Can I use the 3g on my tethered BB 9800 to use the Playbook online outside a wifi hotspot?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #54
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

yes you can tether or use bridge mode with the 9800
It doesn't even matter

Old 09-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #55
georgejo

Model: 9000
Carrier: roger's

I purchased one.

Pluses, the video is AMAZING, seriously.

Negatives (so far): Out of the box, its hard to use for an impatient idiot like me. It has a lot of potential but getting started seems to be a pain in the ass. I'd love to have a stupid manual.

My intent was to use to pair it with my blackberry 9000. Unfortunately, I had to connect to my WIFI first. I was already annoyed

Went through the bother to:
1) Upgrade my 9000 to OS 5
2) Run the install procedure on the playbook
3) Download Blackberry bridge from the app store. (Already discovering that the so called barcode scan isn't working on my phone)
4) Now, I still can't make them talk. The problem I'm experiencing seems like a common one. I saw at least one thread on it, tried all the steps without luck.

So anyway, this poll doesn't have options such as:
- bought playbook, hated it
- bought playbook, love it
- bought playbook, frustrated with it so far.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #56
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

I would like to get a playbook but I need something with a good bible application complete with commentaries and other library type stuff. I don't think these will be on BB anytime soon so I may have to go with another tablet. I want to know what this android thing will be since I am sure there is good bible applications for android...
Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #57
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

I am pretty sure there is a very good (at least rated as such) Bible app on App World for the Playbook.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #58
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I just added a PlayBook to my tablet collection. I currently have a Kindle, a Kindle DX, and an iPad. I was probably not going to buy the PlayBook but a deal came along that was too good to pass up.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #59
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I am probably going to get one but not for the retail price of $500... It's way to much for what it is IMHO...

If I can get a deal for a 16GB under $325 then I will pounce on it...
Old 11-17-2011, 03:33 AM   #60
katander

Model: 9360
Carrier: Mobi
Smile Re: Will you purchase one?

16GB for under 200.00 Cdn at Walmart.

Other stores will soon be following, such as Best Buy and Sears. Who knows, it may get even cheaper as Xmas gets closer.