Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
gfator24

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Blackberry Desktop/Outlook Calendar Sync Issues

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I just purchased a Blackberry Pearl yesterday and am trying to sync it with my Outlook on my PC. I imported all of my Palm Desktop data into Microsoft Outlook and am now in the process of trying to sync Microsoft Outlook with my Blackberry Pearl. I set it all up and press syncronize now, and it syncs my memos and tasks seamlessly, but just seems to skip right over my calendar (that i setup to sync) and doesn't transfer any data. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by gfator24; 11-25-2007 at 01:20 PM..
Old 11-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Check your setting, did you set it to transfer all items or just furture items.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
gfator24

i've tried it both ways, nothing happens, it just skips right over it...it goes tasks, memos, then cancels/finishes?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
barbotus

Model: 8130

I've just had the same issue. Worked fine early last week when I set up initially, and then synched a day or so later. Today it's ignoring the calendar sync.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
gfator24

if you have any luck fixing it can you please help me out! thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Bwidell

Hello gfator24, My first post here xxx8211; I have the same problem on my VZW 8130. The Desktop Manager application on both my home and office PCs skip right over the calendar sync. Both had worked well until recently. Long story short xxx8211; RIM technical support advised me last Friday (Nov 23, 2007) this is a known problem which has appeared in the past few days. They have no solution yet but are working on it. It is definitely in the phone, not in the DM application. In addition, the phone would spontaneously deleted hundreds of my calendar entries (I have about 2000 xxx8211; lots of history). My free memory is typically 8MB but sometimes drops to zero.

BTW: Neither reinstalling DM nor updating the service books has corrected the problem. I havenxxx8217;t tried re-flashing the phone yet but Ixxx8217;d imagine the problem would reappear anyway. RIM will email me when they have a solution. I will post it here.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
gfator24

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
barbotus

Okay, I sorted out what the problem was for me and got it resolved today. This may or may not be the same situation as for you gfator24, but I'll post anyway.

As I had said, my calendar originally synched just fine but then the problem started. After some pondering I figured that it might have something to do with all the futzing around I did with e-mail addresses trying to get my ISP's (Comcast) BIS-based e-mail to hit the BB device in real time. In the process of doing that I had created a VZW blackberry e-mail address at BIS and forwarded my Comcast mail to the BB on the server side. So far so good. But after modifying the VZW BB e-mail account to look like my Comcast account, I deleted the Comcast account from the BIS.

All of this rambling to say that it seems that my default calendar on the BB got changed from the Comcast account that was synching successfully with Outlook to the new VZW BB account. Which has no calendar.

Anyway, after adding the Comcast account back to BIS, I found what seems to be the problematic item under Options - Advanced Options - Default Services. The entry under "Calendar (CICAL)" was the VZW BB account, not my Comcast account. I had since added the Comcast account back to BIS, and was able to "Change Option" to make the default item the correct account. Went back to desktop manager and Voila! The account was found.

The first time I synched I had dup records of everything, but was able to clear everything out from the calendars on the BB using the backup utilities in DM and then get a clean synch.

Again, don't know if this will help you at all, but it turned out to correct my problem. Best of luck.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
Doughdaddy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: thumb or push?
Carrier: VZW

I posted this elseware before and think it may help you also:

I have the 8130 which comes with 4.3 OS and use it on the VZW BIS for personal emails and such. I sync with my laptop for my work calendar and contacts though (Lotus Notes version 7 but calendar app does not matter). After a week of using the BB I added a some calendar entries into Lotus and then sync'ed the BB to get them on there but nothing sync'ed on the calendar. Dismayed I check all my settings and even reset DM sync settings and readded. Nothing worked. I contacted VZW but since the 8130 is so new they don't know much about it so I was transfered to RIM.

After more than an hour of trying different things and never getting the calendar to sync (everything else does fine) we found that with the 4.3 OS it creates a calendar service book for each BIS email address (we know that, it has a multiple calendar thing) but that it does not create a default calendar for DM syncing. Since no default calendar is created there is nothing for the DM to sync with.

The fix was to go into the service books and delete all the CICAL service books for each email address. There is one per address. After doing that we reset and readded the sync configuration in DM. On the next sync it creates the default calendar and it will now sync with DM.

My recommendation is to get rid of the calendar for each email address. Why would I want to have appt's on 4 different calendars? I have enough trouble doing everything in my one calendar!

But anyways, if you have the same issue that is the fix and if you resend the service books to your BB then you must again delete the CICAL service books for each email address so that sync works. RIM is aware of this issue and are tring to find a fix but this was their work around for now.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
mybeloved47

Carrier: AT&T

I just got my pearl a few days ago, and am just now trying to sync it up with my Outlook (I've only had my Mac laptop, so I couldn't try it until now.) I don't have the blackberry service, I'm just using it as a phone. Is there a way for me to sync it? I have no idea how to use the BlackBerry software, so maybe it's just something I did wrong.

I'm using it for personal use, no company involved, so when installing the software I just selected BlackBerry Internet Service- even though I don't have internet... I didn't think I should click on the Enterprise Server since I'm definately not using it for business uses... It keeps displaying "data connection refused" on the screen, but as I've already discovered that just has to do with the fact that I don't have the BlackBerry service. I have AT&T as my provider.

Is there any hope for me to sync it?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
mybeloved47

Carrier: AT&T

i got it to work! somehow i hadn't checked a box and it was keeping it from syncing. thanks though
Old 11-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #12
gfator24

Wow, great reply DoughDaddy, that was the fix! I am ecstatic that it's working now, thank you so much! The only thing is, now it's syncing from computer to blackberry, but it is not allowing the blackberry to edit the computer's files or transfer calendar items from the blackberry to the computer :(
Old 11-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
Jodi80

Model: pearl
Carrier: Cingular

Hello everyone, before I even attempt to sync my outlook to my blackberry my question to you guys is (more of a computer than phoen question) why can i not find a calendar in my outlook. I have outlook already on my computer called outlook express. Is that the problem because its express? At my old job I remember using outlook and having the calendar at the bottom left but here I dont see one. How can I go about getting the correct Outlook onto my computer so that I can update my calendar and have it sync to my blackberry???????????
Old 11-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That's it....Outlook Express is not Outlook.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #15
Jodi80

Model: pearl
Carrier: Cingular

ok so I have no clue about anything ... so from the very beginning. If I have appointments and stuff in my outlook calendar what do i do in order to get them onto my blackberry?
I have the blackberry desktop installed on my computer and have outlook on my desktop computer also. Now where do I go from there?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

With your blackberry connected, launch the sync module from desktop manager. I'm not looking at it so can't say exactly what to do, but I think you will see a configuration button or something like that. Navigate around until you open the window with a selection of applications, and select Outlook. Then one by one set options for calendar, tasks, etc.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #17
runningraz

Model: Pearl

gfator24 - I was having the same issue as you. You stated that now it's syncing from computer to blackberry, but it is not allowing the blackberry to edit the computer's files or transfer calendar items from the blackberry to the computer.

Here what was happening for me. If I went into my calendar on my BB and started a new calendar entry and left the Send Using email address at the top of the new appointment entry as my Comcast (default calendar email) email address then the BB and Outlook would sync. When I initially set-up the Outlook sync after I installed the DM my Comcast email was the default email address.

Where I was having troubles syncing my BB to Outlook is when I would start a new calendar entry and then changed the Send Using email address to my gmail account. If I did that then the BB entry would not sync to go to my Outlook calendar. So, from what I gathered from Doughdaddy's and barbotus's posts is that you need to use the initial email address you used when you set-up your initial Outlook calendar sync in the Send Using portion of the new calendar entry on your BB. Or according to them you can try and delete the the CICAL service books for each email address like they mentioned. I have not tried this yet.

So, Doughdaddy and barbotus, what will happen if I go into my Service Book on my BB and delete the CICAL for all my email addresses and then try and sync my calendar? I have a feeling that the sync will not work. Will I then have to reinstall the DM after I delete all the CICALs in order to establish that default connection again with Outlook and the BB? How do I get my CICALs back for the email addresses if deleting them does not work?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #18
bb*paint

Exclamation 8130 Calendar Stops Syncing

I can confirm Doughdaddy's solution. Calendar synced up again on the first try. I think my problem stemed from trying to sync from two different PCs.

Doughdaddy Wrote:

'The fix was to go into the service books and delete all the CICAL service books for each email address. There is one per address. After doing that we reset and readded the sync configuration in DM. On the next sync it creates the default calendar and it will now sync with DM.

My recommendation is to get rid of the calendar for each email address. Why would I want to have appt's on 4 different calendars? I have enough trouble doing everything in my one calendar!

But anyways, if you have the same issue that is the fix and if you resend the service books to your BB then you must again delete the CICAL service books for each email address so that sync works. RIM is aware of this issue and are tring to find a fix but this was their work around for now.'
Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #19
usetheforce

Smile Thanks - that worked!!

Sorry for the duplicate post....
I read through this thread just now and tried your suggestions - deleting the calendar files for each e-mail account and resetting the DM synch settings.

Worked great!!!
Thanks!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #20
usetheforce

Default More problems...

Maybe too good to be true.
Although, it is now apparently synching the calendar I now have duplicates of everything on the BB and items not in Outlook are not getting there from the BB.....
Closed Thread