BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
potvinwannab

Model: 7100T
Default Why do people choose blackberries?

Please Login to Remove!

Ever since i walked into radio shack 5 or 6 years ago (im not sure of exactly when) and saw a blackberry i always wondered why anyone would choose it, I mean they are astonishingly expensive dont have touch screens, or good screens at that (small little things) and unlike palm or pocket pc phones are low on extra features. How good could the web surfing on a blackberry possibly be? These things look like overpriced smartphones, what compelles people to buy a pda phone that doesnt have 1)third party software (thunderhawk even allows pocket pc phones full web viewing) 2)a large viewable screen(ppc phones and treos both have beautiful high resolution displays) 3)a stylus/ touch screen, isnt it hard to navigate without it, having to probably press a button multiple times to find what your looking for, must be time consuming

Ofcourse ive never owned or really been interavtive with a blackberry, so from what i see they look like overpriced wnna be smart phones that fail to be as feature packed as ppc phones (I mean some people were even sayin a blackberry beats out an mda, wich is literally impossible) so could someone give me the scoop on these blackberries and why you would choose one as aposed to a powerful ppc? even though they are around the same price (I might even get on if i like what i hear)
Old 03-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
MrX
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

The push email is a huge selling factor, especially in a corporate environment. The Blackberry is less prone to hackers and viruses since it does have a built in firewall and dose not rely on a MS OS. There are quite a bit of third party apps available as well. Im happy with mine, have no problems surfing the web or doing anything else I need to do. Mine (7100i) was priced pretty well in my opinion. I also have the Moto i930 that runs Windows Mobile. I dont really think it has is much if any advantage over my BB.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
potvinwannab

Why ,a ppc can do anything a blackberry can do a so much more, it doesnt make sense a u-star com ppc with a 1.3 mp camera sliding keyboard wndows os 5.0 and so much more than any bb is like 500 canadian while a bb 8700 is 550
Old 03-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
dallas.grant

Model: 7105t

The push email is the only real reason I picked it up is because of the push email. I own a PalmOne Treo as well, and accessing email on that phone in a reasonable time frame killed the battery in 6 hours or less (depending on my use) ... with the blackberry, the battery lasts most of the day (7105t)

I still don't know if I like it yet, but I am getting used to it.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
genearch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Coming from "the other side" my take is:

1. I want something that just works. No need to "hot sync" or "activesync"
2. No need to manage or become overly concerned with battery life

I'm all about simple. My Treo was extremely unreliable, constant reboots. Third party apps step on each other.

The BB just works as it should, it's not a swiss army knife with MP3 and camera and that's fine by me.

Last edited by genearch; 03-11-2006 at 01:12 PM..
Old 03-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830

Shouldn't this be posted in the General forum and not a model-specific forum? and why would you register on a site just to badmouth the product that the site caters to? This I will never understand about some people and message boards. I mean, do some people just go around registering in message boards just to pick fights?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Treo: Terrible construction, awful operating system and hacked to death. Security: non existent.

BlackBerry: The opposite of that.

Think about where BB started - they marketed to corporations and governments. The same organizations that Palm would not even bother to call. RIM made a rock solid, secure push based e-mail system. Palm, on the other hand, split into two comapnies and is, at best, a niche player now.

Fairly obvious why businesses, government and the military choose BlackBerrys.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
ajg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: M600i
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'll keep it simple. BB's are some of the most impressive devices around. I've used a lot of OS's. Mac, Windows, Linux, Palm, PPC, Symbian (S60 and otherwise), etc. In the end, only a few stand out. On being BB. Great messaging, rock solid stability, great battery life, and fantastic security. Not to mention, they are very easy to use. Price isn't really that bad. My BB's have been priced at 200-300 USD. That's pretty much what most other non-smartphones cost if they have any special features let alone PPC's and Treos. The new ones have better screens and there isn't a need for a touch screen. In fact, that's a HUGE selling point for me. That means I don't need two hands to operate it. Blackberry and S60 win over any other mobile OS in my opinion.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

My take: communication.

I have had and currently have a PPC, but for contact with others, I rely on the berry.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
potvinwannab

Lolz just what to expesct from a site full of blackberry users..as to how this got posted in non-general i have no idea im pretty sure i posted it there originally, owel
Old 03-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #11
potvinwannab

Yah Lets Fight
Old 03-12-2006, 06:59 PM   #12
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

For the same reason I buy Trojan's, I don't want to worry about it malfunctioning when I need it.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
overmycrossbody

Model: 7130e
Default size.

Because a BB fits in most pockets comfortably, whereas PDAs are freakishly big. And I don't like having a big PDA to my ear... feels too geeky.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #14
MrX

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvinwannab
Lolz just what to expesct from a site full of blackberry users..
You asked why do people choose Blackberries. We answered your question. What did you expect our response be??
Old 03-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #15
Postalrecon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: N80

Think of it this way, I choose a blackberry because of the email security, plus it beats getting a notice that I have an email, then having to use a ppc to go online, when a blackberry gets my mail to me, I don't have to go "online" to get it.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #16
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvinwannab
Lolz just what to expesct from a site full of blackberry users...
I guess if you do not like those answers, we have to tell you the truth, and the truth is: Cause strawberries are out of season!!!

Now put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #17
potvinwannab

Lmao How Gay
Old 03-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #18
schizm

Model: 8130

He said he doesn't own a blackberry and never been interactive with one. I would venture to say he probably doesn't own a cell phone either and doesn't know what the fuss is about the whole wireless concept is either.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #19
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

This thread has long since outlived itself...
Closed Thread