BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
ernopena

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Default WHITE SCREEN of DEATH FIXED WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE.

Please Login to Remove!

WHITE SCREEN OF DEATH ON BOLD 9700 FIXED WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE!!

I'm reposting this from another thread of mine.

---------------------

Thanks to AGorman and THX992 for the help. The white screen on 2 of the 4 Blackberries is back to normal, all because of 2 well placed slivers of electrical tape.

Here's that we did:

I placed 2 thin slivers of electrical tape on both sides of the fragile ribbon cable of the LCD screen. Apparently, this little ribbon cable is being cut or crimped too much over time by the case and/or circuit board. Placing tape on both sides lessens the pressure on the ribbon cable.

Little slivers of electrical tape fixed 2 of my 4 busted Bold 9700s. I'll fix the rest tonight. This is what I mean by poor design and defective hardware from Blackberry.

I hope this helps other people...

----------------------

Does anyone have any help or suggestions of fixing the WHITE SCREEN OF DEATH on a Blackberry Bold 9700?

Google doesn't have anything on the 9700. There's a bunch of suggestions regarding electrical tape on certain spots on the mainboard, but none of them are 9700 specific, and they all talk about areas that do not exist on the 9700.

Here are screenshots of a disassembled Bold 9700. We have 11 of these 9700's with T-Mobile and this is the 4th BB that's died 1 month after the warranty ends.

Unlike most posts here, I do not think the WSOD is caused by software. Pulling out the battery and wiping/reinstalling doesn't work. It's got to be a hardware failure that involves static buildup or connector/cable failure, originating from a Blackberry's poor design or substandard parts.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what part(s) to patch, replace or cover with electrical tape to fix this?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: WHITE SCREEN of DEATH FIXED WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE.

Interesting. thanks
Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
ernopena

Carrier: TMobile

Here are 2 more pics of what I did:

For this BB Bold 9700, I used 3 pieces of tape. 2 on either side of the LCD video ribbon cable, and 1 around the metal edge of the circuit board. I should also mention that on this one, I also broke off the plastic clip on the rear half shell of the case that was pressing against the ribbon cable. I don't have pics of this, but it did the trick, and over 24hrs later, no WSOD.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions...
Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Theopolisy

Model: 9870B
Carrier: T-mobile

You sir, have my sincere thanks. And are amazing. Its so nice to find someone who can post help that actually works. And its nice to know that people like you, are so intelligent and willing to share their knowledge. Thank you for sharing your knowledge...cuz frankly, I'd be screwed had you not posted. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
rpriel

Carrier: rogers

This fix worked for me - Thanks for sharing this info.

However, if I press the "end call button" to open the screen after locking the blackberry I get the wsod - This problem is fixed by refreshing the screen - by locking the BB and unlocking the BB.

Thanks again for this fix ernopena!

Last edited by rpriel; 01-05-2012 at 01:49 PM..
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
rnewyear

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

I had the same WSOD problem with my BB Bold 9700 after replacing the housing. I tried everything on this thread , taping the LCD ribbon to no avail. Finally I ordered a new LCD and replaced it. Voila, it is working again like new. It seems the problem is with the LCD ribbon located on the side of the unit. With the constant pounding while pressing the keys, it tends to damage the ribbon until it looses connection hence the WSOD. The illustration on this thread is helpful though.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
WeezyZee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: tmboile

Hey I Found this really interestin as i have the same problem :(
i have had my blackberry bold 9700 screen replaced today and it is still showing the white screen. i dont know what to do as ive just spent £35 on replacement of the screen. i dont know what is wrong with my phone please could someone help me :(
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
rnewyear

@Weezyzee . Did you order the right LCD screen? Look at the back of your original LCD and check the number i.e 002/111 or 004/111. Order the part with the same number. Hope that helps.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
WeezyZee

yes i have.
does anyone know where to put the electrical tape in more detail for me to understand?
please help x
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
rnewyear

@Weezyzee.,
If you replaced your LCD with a 'NEW' one. You dont need to put electric tapes as the ribbon tapes are still new. You said you replaced it yourself, make sure all screws are tight on all corners to make sure all the contact points are good. If they are loose, you'll still get the white screen.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
WeezyZee

@rnewyear
i gave it to a shop to repair my phone.
i had the white screen problem for 3 days so i went to check what was wromg with it the owners who work at the repair shop said i needed a new screen which would cost me £35. so i went ahead and had the screen replaced by them.
but im still getting the white screen of death :(
do you think i should dissamble the phone myself and put electrical tape as mentioned at the top of the page?
thanks.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyZee View Post
@rnewyear
i gave it to a shop to repair my phone.
i had the white screen problem for 3 days so i went to check what was wromg with it the owners who work at the repair shop said i needed a new screen which would cost me £35. so i went ahead and had the screen replaced by them.
but im still getting the white screen of death :(
do you think i should dissamble the phone myself and put electrical tape as mentioned at the top of the page?
thanks.
You should bring it back to the shop you paid and request they actually fix it.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
WeezyZee

yes that is what i have done.
thanks for responding.
does anyone know how to fix the white screen of death with electrical tape?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyZee View Post
yes that is what i have done.
thanks for responding.
does anyone know how to fix the white screen of death with electrical tape?
I am just not clear on what you are after. the photos above pretty clearly show what to do with the tape.

I suggested you return it to the shop to fix it properly and you said you did that, but then you again ask what to do with the tape.

You paid to have it fixed. They should do that. If you start poking around even just putting tape on something they will be able to claim you altered their repair and deny any more service.

To answer the question again, look at the detailed pictures above to see what to do, but return to the shop you paid and have them do a proper repair or refund your money.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
rnewyear

@weezyzee,
If you had the repair shop fix it, then bring it back to them. Obviously it wasnt fixed. How sure are you that they replaced the screen with a new one? Also, WSOD could be caused by loose screws , connections or and other component malfunction. Electric tape solution is well illustrated above. But you need to open the phone and put it on the spots above. It s not necessary though if you got a new LCD as the ribbon connector is still fresh and new.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
rnewyear

@weezyzee, are you getting a total white screen starting from boot or just intermittent white screen?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
WeezyZee

@rnewyear
hmm i dont think they've changed the screen if the problem is still occuring :s
maybe they are lying to me and saying that they've changed it but i doubt it as the white screen still shows however sometimes i am getting the white screen from boot and sometimes it goes back to normal.
i dont know what to do if the white screen of death is still occuring.
also i agree with you if they have replaced the LCD The ribbon connector is stil fresh and new. if they have replaced the screen will that solve the problem?
how do i fix the white screen of death?

im still getting the white screen, sometimes it will go back to normal and i dont know what to do, its white with purple lines.
please could you help me.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
natta

Model: 8250
Carrier: business

anyone knows the code PCB-21175-006?
which LCD is??? from BB 8520 curve!!!!
help me!!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #19
Elianabb

Carrier: Telus Mobility

This worked w my Bold 9700. Any other models w this particular ribbon cable problem? Please list other models this works with (photos too?) to help others.

IMHO you should only try this if you can connect to the Bold via USB (may want to remove sim first to keep it off the network) and log in to in from BB Desktop -- thus you know software is up and running, you just can't see anything. Also best if off warranty
These two conditions were there for me and now my Bold is running fine w 2 cents worth of tape vs $200 new screen.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #20
gsmhospital

Model: 9780
Carrier: orange

pls i have 8520 showing white screen of death. i have replaced lcd with new onees but the same thing . pls sombody help me
Closed Thread