Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
piggotl

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Curve 2 Continuously reboots

Please Login to Remove!

I have been experiencing problems lately with the Blackberry Curve 2. My company has been purchasing these for our corporate users. However, we have had problems with some of them getting into a continuous reboot, where the phone never boots up to the home screen.

I have done a lot of troubleshooting on this problem, and have been able to narrow it down to the Memory Cleaner option on the phone. So, what I do now is, whenever a new Curve 2 comes into the organization, before I even attempt to activate it with our BES server, I go into the Security Settings and enable the memory cleaner. Then I pull the battery out and let the blackberry reboot. If the phone boots up OK, then I know that there is not a problem. However, if the "looping reboot" problem exists on the phone, it will never boot up after the Memory Cleaner is enabled.

I have spent 4 hours on the phone with RIM tech support, and some time with Verizon tech support. Both say that it is a problem device, and that I should ask my carrier for a replacement. However, I have come across 6 phones over the past 3 weeks, all with this same problem. I find it hard to believe that all of these phones are faulty.

I have also tried installing the latest OS for these phones (at least the latest that is on Verizon's website - 5.0.0.508). If there is a newer version that this, I'd sure like to try it. I have even tried to back rev the OS to the older 5.0.0.337 version. Still does not fix the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
v2m6

Model: 9650

I am having the same problem with five of six 8350 devices I received last week loaded with 5.0.0.508.

After a successful enterprise activation, the device comes up with message "Memory cleaning is being enabled. This operation may take a few minutes to complete."

The only other information I was able to capture was the following message: "Application downloads or admin changes require device to reboot for approx 2 minutes. Device inoperable for voice, data and 911 while rebooting. Notice 1 of 1. Automatic reboot in 10 minutes if no selection made." REBOOT NOW.

Then starts the endless cycle of reboots. Our customer rep said call customer support but I was checking here first.

Anyone else besides piggotl with this problem?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
piggotl

Model: 8830

I spent another 2 hours on the phone with Blackberry Tech Support. After some run around, I finally got escalated to a developer. Turns out that they are aware of the problem, and that it seems to be a problem with the hardware. It is only on models that were manufactured within a certain timeframe. That explains why some of our 8530's work and some do not. He told me that they are rapidly working on a fix, and that it was close to being released. For the time being, he told me to return the problem phones to Verizon, and have them send us replacement phones.

It would have saved us a lot of head aches if the Verison support staff had know about this problem. They were giving us a lot of grief about sending replacements.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
v2m6

I created a special policy on the BES to prevent the memory cleaning function that appears to send these devices into the endless reboots. It does not prevent it. Unless the activated device has memory cleaning disabled, the device comes up with message "Memory cleaning is being enabled. This operation may take a few minutes to complete." It then goes back into endless reboots.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Carriers sell, most dont bother to follow the problem reports.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
v2m6

Now my carrier is saying that RIM knows about this. I'm on hold with RIM right now and they're saying they don't know anything about this!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
wh1999

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile and Verizon
Default VZ Curve 2 endless rebooting.

In the last 3 weeks, I've dealt with about 5 of these Verizon Curves rebooting.

I have a user that activated his BlackBerry overseas and now his BlackBerry is rebooting. I cannot find a quick fix for this.

Anyone have input out there?

I checked the policy he is on and I do not have forced memory cleaning.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
v2m6

It's not the policy, it's the device. RIM and Verizon have both confirmed this to be a problem with "certain devices" namely 8530's loaded with 5.0.0.508.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
larry.brown

Model: 8530
Angry 5 and counting

We have had 5 so far in the last two weeks...including a replacement for one that was rebooting.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
v2m6

Verizon has posted a patch called Recovery_Loader.exe on their site. I would give you the link but I don't have enough posts on this forum to post a url!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
v2m6

It's called the "Power Cycle Loop"

Curve (8530) Power Cycle Loop
Description of Issue If your Curve (8530) device is in a state where it will attempt to power up, freeze in the middle of the process and then begin to try to power up again, follow the below instructions. This problem occurs with Enterprise companies that employ an IT Policy to force Content Protection and/or Memory Cleaning ON. If an individual user enables either of these features by navigating to Options > Security, the problem will also occur. Customers who do not have Content Protection or Memory Cleaning enabled should not experience this issue.
Instructions
Connect the Curve (8530) device to the computer using the USB cable.
Launch the recovery tool on the Flash Machine Start Menu.
o
Start > Phone Flashing Applications > BlackBerry > Curve (8530) Recovery Loader
Enter the device password (only if required) and the Operating System is then updated (~1-2min).
Once the Operating System is updated and the "Done" message (shown below) is presented, the device can be disconnected as it reboots with all user data and applications remaining intact.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
tylerjwilson

Where is this patch on verizon's website? I am having this trouble on 2 of 3 Curve 2's so far
Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
tylerjwilson

Nevermind I found it, on the blackberry software updates page
Old 05-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
thestinger

Carrier: verizon

I still can't find the download. I have 5 in the past week that has done this. Can someone help me find it???

I can't see the link anywhere. Please help...

Last edited by thestinger; 05-26-2010 at 11:38 AM..
Old 05-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
larry.brown

Go here: vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/ (add the h t t p)
Click on Corp email
Next
Choose the Curve 2
Middle of the page
Old 05-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Here is the link:

BlackBerry® Software Updates

Here's the link to the file:
http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry...ery_Loader.exe

Follow the steps posted here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/1611180-post11.html
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]

Last edited by jsconyers; 05-26-2010 at 12:57 PM..
Old 06-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
jblackwoodmu

Carrier: Sprint
Default New to BB and confused by part of the reply

What did this mean?:

"Launch the recovery tool on the Flash Machine Start Menu."

I'm experiencing this loop problem on my not-quite-1-month-old 8530. I know that earlier I turned on the memory cleaning (not knowing it would do this), so I'm pretty sure that's the problem. I just need to know a way to get into it so that I can turn it off.

Carrier is Sprint, if that matters.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #18
gatica

Carrier: Sprint/Verizon/AT&T
Default Endless Rebooting

I have one user that had this reboot cycle start on their Blackberry 8530 (This was working fine for months ) we replaced this phone and the new one started the reboot cycle immediately after BES activation . Things I have done so far is reseting the device to factory to get it out of the reboot cycle, made sure it was updated with the latest OS, and manually turned on "Memory Cleaning" (Did not cause any reboot loop) Next step to activate BES and see if it happens again. I think this is an issue with software not hardware, but thats just my opinion.

Update:
After the factory reset, updating the OS and manually turning on "Memory cleaning" (I pulled battery afterwards to reboot phone) this device appears to have activated on the BES without the reboot loop issue, I will be pulling the battery out in a few hours to perform another hard reboot to make sure that it is resolved but only time will really tell. Best of luck to everyone else with this issue.

Last edited by gatica; 08-02-2010 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Update
Closed Thread