Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
acupsa

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default BB Storm 9530 poor AUX sound quality

Please Login to Remove!

I am having some problems when connecting the BB Storm directly to my AUX input in the car (from the head-phone out connector): the sound is terrible (very low level, lack of bass, etc.).

I have purchased the BT gateway to bypass the head-phone out connector, and using this to stream the music to the AUX port in the car audio system, I get MUCH improved sound quality (actually, it sounds better than anything else I have used so far...), however, it has some quirks that drive me crazy - volume seems to go down after an incoming alert message (be it e-mail, or voice call) and I have not found a way around that yet. Anybody experience this? Solutions?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
lostman72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Turn off your RF radio so you can stream what you want. After you are done than turn it back on.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
acupsa

Default RE: BB Storm 9530 poor AUX sound quality

I am sorry, but I do not understand what do you mean by RF radio?
Do you mean that I should turn off the radio in my car, and then turn it back on? How would this affect the level of sound coming out of the BB Storm? The sound level is dropped by the BB Storm, not by the radio in my car...
Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I am not sure what lostman is referring to.
If the Bluetooth option works the best, I would stick with that.
If you want to avoid the interruptions, make a custom profile to silence the messages alerts.
Not sure what is happening with your vehicle, I use an old cassette adapter in my older Tahoe, and the sound is great.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
texasPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Do you have an aftermarket radio? Not sure about factory installed ones but many aftermarket radios have an AUX in compensation adjustment. Put your radio in AUX mode then search through the menu of the radio and see if you can find something like that. With that you can increase/decrease compensation of the AUX source to match that of the other sources (ie: FM, AM..) so that there is not a big difference in volume when going from AUX to FM vice versa where you have to adjust the volume because its too high/low from the other source. Make sense? Tried to explain it as simply as possible, if I didn't let me know and I'll try again
Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
jmwking

Model: 9550

My first thought was you have your BB's volume turned up too loud, which can distort the sound on the radio.

But you may be getting some sort of odd grounding noise problem if using bluetooth clears it up. They can be really troublesome to track down and compensate.

If it's not too much volume out of the BB, I'd figure a way to live with bluetooth.

-jk
Old 10-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
lostman72

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupsa View Post
I am sorry, but I do not understand what do you mean by RF radio?
Do you mean that I should turn off the radio in my car, and then turn it back on? How would this affect the level of sound coming out of the BB Storm? The sound level is dropped by the BB Storm, not by the radio in my car...
What I was talking about was for you to turn off your cell phone radio and leave your BT on. This way your phone won’t be interrupted if you get a text or a call. But if you want to receive calls you need to leave it on. You said that when you receive a message your phone lowers the volume. Also maybe you can try and put the phone on silent mode and see if that helps?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
acupsa

Thank you all for your input.
So far, I have given up on the direct connection from BB Storm to AUX, because I do not have a AUX in compensation adjustment on my factory installed radio.
The volume is just too low to be usable.

Using the Bluetooth Gateway is quite good quality wise, and the problem with the sound being lowered, I am not quite sure if it comes because of an incoming alert or not - just seems to be more frequent when that happens. I still didn't find a solution for it, except executing a battery pull, which is highly inconvenient! I am living in the hope that release 5.xx.xx.xx will solve this issue, because it seems to be a BB Storm problem. If it will not be fixed, well, I guess I will have to learn to live with it, as there are not many other options available right now, and even though BB support sucks, I have no choice. There is a reason why so many other people try to stay away from BB's
Closed Thread