BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
jsadony

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default SBE -> Enterprise Migration

Please Login to Remove!

I found this thread which looks like what I need but I'd like to confirm if I may...

We switched to VzW and in the process I got a big discount on new 8830's and a BES Enterprise license with 11 cals.

Currently we are running a maxed-out BES SBE server (v4.1). I purchased the extra cals needs to go to 16 total. Now I need to do the upgrade.

Unfortunately the upgrade license key from SBE -> Enterprise was not available through the VzW deal. Now I have a new BES Entrprise download and new licenses to install.

My preference would be not to have to wipe and re-activiate all of our devices to get the new version on.

I would like to upgrade the software on the same hardware.

So I think I have these options after doing a full backup of the condif database:

1. Try to install the new BES download over the top of the currrent SBE installation just to see what happens or...

2. Uninstall the current SBE version and install the new BES Enterprise download. Then restore (or move) the configuration database to the new installation using the "knife-edge cutover" process in the knowledgebase.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Joe
Old 12-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Welcome to the forums!!!

I've not used SBE enough to know the best way to do this ... I'm not sure how the SBE database will react to the new CAL ... I would guess that it wouldn't matter. With that said, I'd do a swing method, where you'd install BES on new temporary hardware but to the same configuration database that exists; migrate all the users to the new BES by dragging and dropping. You'd then uninstall the old BES, and install the same version of BES you installed on the temp hardware on the original hardware (being sure to not start the services). You'd then stop the services on the temp hardware (and set them to disabled), and then start the services on the original hardware.

Again, I'm not sure if this'll work; I've not had enough experience with SBE ... hopefully someone who has will chime in.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #3
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Nope
Carrier: Nope

SBE CALs and Enterprise CALs won't mix.

There is a way to clear all license keys from the database and then you would be able to enter the Enterprise CALs which should switch the BES over to an Enterprise BES.

I used to know the command and I believe that would be the easiest method. If you talk to any of the RIM BES Reps they should know that command. I had that booklet but burned it.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:52 AM   #4
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

>osql -E
>use besmgmt
>go
>delete from licensekeys
>go
Old 12-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
jsadony

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the helpful hints. Saved me a ton of work.

The keys are stored clear text in the MSDE database which I found interesting. Just for future reference here are the steps I performed:

1) I ran the downloaded version provided by the VzW deal which simply did an over-the-top version update.

2) Using the BB Manager I removed all of the licenses from the database except for the base license which cannot be removed this way.

3) Using MS Access I found the table in the configuration database that contained the base license key and replaced the base key with the new key from VzW.

4) Reboot.

5) Went into the BB Manager to check the license: "Enterprise Edition 11 Licenses"

6) Changed the SRP ID and Auth Key to match the set sent with the VzW base license.

7) Added the VzW provided additional 5-user license key (for a total of 16).

8) Applied the latest BB service pack.

9) Reboot.

10) Sent test email.

Done.

This Upgrade was done using BES Server 4.1.4

Last edited by jsadony; 12-18-2007 at 03:13 PM..
Old 12-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Nope
Carrier: Nope

That's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
>osql -E
>use besmgmt
>go
>delete from licensekeys
>go
Jsadony: I would strongly advise you not to change information like that in the database. What noname stated would be the correct way of getting rid of the license keys. Once that is done you can open the BB Manager and enter in the license keys.
Closed Thread