BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #61
mikeruoc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Seems like we are all seeing different things. Mine are delayed a bit to show up but I see no sync. If I delete an email from Gmail or read one the email remains new and unread on my BB and does not delete.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #62
mikeruoc
Thumbs Must Hurt

That is great. Thats what I want but mine will not do that. Wonder what is different. I am on BES and BIS. Of course BES works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanese View Post
Ok, I've testing your question and yes it will delete/show as read when I delete from the web app to the BB, but it took about 20 minutes for that to occur.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #63
havanese
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruoc View Post
Seems like we are all seeing different things. Mine are delayed a bit to show up but I see no sync. If I delete an email from Gmail or read one the email remains new and unread on my BB and does not delete.
I didn't think it was going to happen on mine either, but after about 20-25 minutes the messages I had deleted on gmail finally were deleted on the BB, compared with Thunderbird that removed the deleted messages about 5 seconds after I deleted it on gmail's web app.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #64
mikeruoc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just wiped out the account again and made sure all service books where gone. Setup the IMAP GMAIL and sent a test message from Yahoo to my gmail. We will see. It has been 6 mins so far but we will see after an hour. Before I had emails an hour old and deleted and they where still on the BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanese View Post
I didn't think it was going to happen on mine either, but after about 20-25 minutes the messages I had deleted on gmail finally were deleted on the BB, compared with Thunderbird that removed the deleted messages about 5 seconds after I deleted it on gmail's web app.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #65
athenslb57
Thumbs Must Hurt

On the phone with ATT now. I'm at 3-tier support now, they are getting ready to conference RIM in now. I don't receive mail at all when I configured my BIS with IMAP. The IMAP works perfectly with MS Outlook on my laptop so I know it doesn't seem to be on Google's side.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #66
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenslb57 View Post
On the phone with ATT now. I'm at 3-tier support now, they are getting ready to conference RIM in now. I don't receive mail at all when I configured my BIS with IMAP. The IMAP works perfectly with MS Outlook on my laptop so I know it doesn't seem to be on Google's side.
Let us know what happens. I suspect RIM has no idea google now supports IMAP.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #67
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

I'm going to take a moment and plug our *only* up and coming full IMAP client for the BlackBerry - it's currently in a young stage but you can read, reply and send email right now (delete/trash/sent support is in the roadmap). While it's not yet ready for prime time, I encourage everyone to check it out:

Main site:
http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail

Open tickets that show a good view of "where are we":
http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail/report/1

The project is open source, anyone can jump in and join the development effort - right now it's primarily one developer doing all the work. I run the nightly source code builds which sometimes work and sometimes don't, so you need to be willing to play a bit.

Help create the be-all end-all IMAP client for our devices! Open source for the win.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #68
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Riverpop,

That's an excellent addition to the list of alternative email clients for BlackBerry. Excellent for people using BlackBerries on a non-BlackBerry data plan (regular APN data instead of data over BIS). Since Rogers Canada $5 Vision data plans have 10MB, and Rogers Canada $40 BlackBerry plans have only 7MB. This Canadian data pricing means some of us are using GMAIL Mobile on $5 data plans as a workaround for expensive Canadian BlackBerry plans.

For more information about using BlackBerry on generic data plans, see the sticky in the "BlackBerry Network" topic area.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #69
athenslb57
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
IMAP is a no go with with RIM and this is straight from RIM. I have been on the phone with ATT & RIM. The RIM support guy said since gmail uses special hybrid protocols and notification servers its better to use the pop way. Oh well.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #70
havanese
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

After earlier success I am not getting sync between BB and web app. I do receive new emails on a scattered time frame, but deleting emails in web app or from BB do not sync back to the other side like it should with IMAP. Strange.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #71
Wishdemon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
You already have two-way message reconciliation (of deletes) with Gmail.
It has nothing to do with POP or IMAP.

GMaill allowing IMAP will not necessarilly provide read/unread mark reconciliation.

Basically, GMail now supporting IMAP has absolutely no impact on Blackberry users.
From reading the threads, it looks like what some of the others were having problems with is the same as mine - I could never sync the deletions, most likely bc I was using pop - thats why i thought we'd get two way sync now...now i understand!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #72
whsbuss

Quote:
IMAP is a no go with with RIM and this is straight from RIM. I have been on the phone with ATT & RIM. The RIM support guy said since gmail uses special hybrid protocols and notification servers its better to use the pop way. Oh well.
That's what I figured. Did you get the feeling that all IMAP-IDLE support for non-gmail IMAP accounts were also a no-go w/RIM?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #73
athenslb57
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
That's what I figured. Did you get the feeling that all IMAP-IDLE support for non-gmail IMAP accounts were also a no-go w/RIM?
Funny thing was, he told me RIM preferred IMAP but for GMAIL they have setup special notification servers which is why POP is preferred with Gmail. Said we would have more options with the POP way vs. IMAP. I am gonna configure IMAP on my 8125 Windows mobile 6 phone tonight and see how it works there. IMAP is working beautifully on the Iphone, I set it up this morning for a friend.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #74
rivviepop

Quote:
I would guess it's because IMAP (and the IDLE extension) help make people realize how piss-poor BIS actually is comparatively. Anyone who's used a good mobile IMAP client with caching ability (for reading/replying disconnected) understands that BIS is no better than a junky old POP account. IMAP competes directly with their BES product which is why we don't get an IMAP client on the phone (unlike every other phone out there almost).
Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #75
athenslb57
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
I would guess it's because IMAP (and the IDLE extension) help make people realize how piss-poor BIS actually is comparatively. Anyone who's used a good mobile IMAP client with caching ability (for reading/replying disconnected) understands that BIS is no better than a junky old POP account. IMAP competes directly with their BES product which is why we don't get an IMAP client on the phone (unlike every other phone out there almost).
You are right on with your assessment of BIS. It is down right pitiful actually. I might very well be going back to my 8125 w/ WM6 or getting an iphone since they are both working great with IMAP accounts.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #76
whsbuss

Quote:
You make a good point. However, IMAP is only for email whereas the BES does give calendar/tasks/memo sync functionality. I sure hope RIM will support realtime IMAP soon.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #77
rivviepop

Quote:
You make a good point. However, IMAP is only for email whereas the BES does give calendar/tasks/memo sync functionality. I sure hope RIM will support realtime IMAP soon.
...which is why they also don't natively include a SyncML client - I sync my cal/con/task (memos coming, client limitation) over the air, no need for BES. Again, almost every mobile (except Windows Mobile devices) besides the BlackBerry include SyncML support; Nokia for instance has been doing it for a decade probably.

Don't get me wrong, I love my BB - but there were obvious, blatant things kept out of the device OS so as not to compete with the BES offering.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #78
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love my BB - but there were obvious, blatant things kept out of the device OS so as not to compete with the BES offering.
It is a shame to. Because there are A LOT of other reasons to use BES (end to end encryption, management features, etc., are a few things that come to mind). They could even come out with a version of BES that supports Google Apps....
Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #79
unknownvirus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Ok I guess from reading this thread. We are basically out of luck when it comes to using gmail imap? Although some people did get it to work, there were delays. I guess we should continue to look into this over a few days until imap is implimented entirely throughout googles systems.

I'm just looking for message status sync. That would be great
Old 10-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #80
Jaime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

Message status sync is the only missing thing from imap? Or I'm missing something?

Best,
Jaime