Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
lornedreger

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Bluetooth and no data plan

Please Login to Remove!

Will be switching to a new smartphone in 2 weeks. I have a golf gps program (Intelligolf) on the Pearl that I like. I have been using the program and the Pearl Bluetooth paired with a Holux GPS to track the yardages, etc.
Will the Intelligolf software still work and will I still be able to use the Bluetooth to connect to the Holux when my Telus service is transferred to a different phone?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Bluetooth and no data plan

Maybe you should check with the software developer to make sure that they have an app that will work on the device that you plan to buy.

Without knowing the device and the OS, there is no way for anyone to say.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
lornedreger

Thanks. The software isn't available for the new phone. Do you know if the Bluetooth will still work (pair) with the Holux? I assume the golf software would still work.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Bluetooth connection is not reliant on having a data plan, so the Bluetooth GPS receiver would still work.

However, it looks like that golf software requires a data plan.

As noted above, you should contact the developer.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

You say the software isn't available for the phone, and in same post say you assume it will still work? What gives?

Have you picked out the new smartphone? Does it have GPS? If so, then you don't need the bluetooth GPS puck.

Your main issue is finding an app that runs on the new smartphone. It doesn't have to be the same one, but just one that does what you need.

If by chance the new smartphone does not have GPS, or if the carrier blocks it, the odds are it will pair with your puck. But you should luck it up and verify.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
foysyl

Model: 8300
Carrier: grameenphone,BD
Default Re: Bluetooth and no data plan & free wifi

hlo e1, does any one know ...how to use any wifi net (which is restricted by pass -log in page) for free.
one of my frend did it by using Opera mini 10.1, but i fortunately i lost my friends contact number. he had a nokia e71 & opera mini 10.......when he turned on his wifi, his phone found a network & he connected , but when he tried to browse a page , the page redirected him to their (wifi provider) page & ask him to log in with user name & password.......after changing some option of opera mini 10 (likely ...proxy,turbo off,othrs) he had succeed to bypass longing page as he connected to wifi net. bt i forgot that option he had changed.....does any one know how to do that??? if any one know thn let me know wth e-mail (foyfox)gmail.
Thnx in advance.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Bluetooth and no data plan & free wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by foysyl View Post
hlo e1, does any one know ...how to use any wifi net (which is restricted by pass -log in page) for free.
one of my frend did it by using Opera mini 10.1, but i fortunately i lost my friends contact number. he had a nokia e71 & opera mini 10.......when he turned on his wifi, his phone found a network & he connected , but when he tried to browse a page , the page redirected him to their (wifi provider) page & ask him to log in with user name & password.......after changing some option of opera mini 10 (likely ...proxy,turbo off,othrs) he had succeed to bypass longing page as he connected to wifi net. bt i forgot that option he had changed.....does any one know how to do that??? if any one know thn let me know wth e-mail (foyfox)gmail.
Thnx in advance.
It is considered bad forum manners to hijack another's thread, especially when your post is not related to that of the OP. In addition, writing in "text-speak" is also frowned upon as we have trouble translating your post.

And finally, asking to do something that is not appropriate, such as trying to bypass a password protected network to get service without paying is stealing in my book and will get you banned if you ask again.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
You say the software isn't available for the phone, and in same post say you assume it will still work? What gives?

Have you picked out the new smartphone? Does it have GPS? If so, then you don't need the bluetooth GPS puck.

Your main issue is finding an app that runs on the new smartphone. It doesn't have to be the same one, but just one that does what you need.

If by chance the new smartphone does not have GPS, or if the carrier blocks it, the odds are it will pair with your puck. But you should luck it up and verify.
What I took from the OP is that the OP is getting a new phone on which the golf software will not work. So the OP is wondering if it will work on the old BlackBerry without that device having a data plan (and presumably without a voice plan either) which I don't think will work.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ahhh, you're right.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
lornedreger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post

Thanks

The Intelligolf software program relies on GPS data from a HOLUX receiver that is paired with my BB Pearl and nothing more. Everything else i.e. scores, etc. is simply keypad input. I don't want any other golf GPS software program as I find this one to be the best.
In short, the Bluetooth capability is still available on the BB Pearl without a data or phone plan?
Old 03-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

As Motorcycle Mama says, the bluetooth communication between the BlackBerry and another device has nothing to do with the data plan. If as you say the app is not dependent on data service, then you should be good; but from what Motocycle Mama says above, sounds like the app does require data service.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
lornedreger

Thanks again. I have run the software on the Pearl with the Mobile Network turned off (to say battery power) using only the Bluetooth pairing with the HOLUX and no problems at all.
Just wondering if the Bluetooth is disabled when the carrier service is discontinued but I assume it is NOT after reading all the posts to date.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Obviously, if you have used the Bluetooth in the past with the Mobile Network turned off, it's not dependent on that.
Closed Thread