BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
brokerrookie

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default New 8310 Am I expecting too much??

Please Login to Remove!

I bought this thing yesterday. I expected to be able to surf the internet. The web pages don't look close to the "normal" way they look while I'm on a PC. It seems cumbersome at best. Sure I can get email but I'm overly disappointed so far. Did I have expectations that were too high or am I missing something?

Todd

Add: Just tried Youtube. "Not supported"

Last edited by brokerrookie; 01-29-2008 at 09:44 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I think you did might have been a bit too expecting. It is after all, a mobile device, not a laptop nor a PC.

i would never use it for just free-for-all surfing the net. For checking something I need, when I need it? Yes. Weather, news headlines, etc., it is great.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Have you downloaded the Opera Mini browser? It's free and it lets you look at web pages the way they're supposed to look for the most part.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
brokerrookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanden View Post
Have you downloaded the Opera Mini browser? It's free and it lets you look at web pages the way they're supposed to look for the most part.
I haven't but would love the link or instructions to do that. I know I'm asking for a lot as a new guy but I could really stand the help here.

T
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

http://www.operamini.com/download/
From your BB browser.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
brokerrookie

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. I've downloaded it. I wonder what the return policy is on this thing. I want my flip phone back. Just too complicated and cumbersome.

T

Last edited by brokerrookie; 01-29-2008 at 10:19 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I believe it is 30 days at AT&T.

The BB is not for everyone, you need a device you like, not one you like to hate.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
brokerrookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I believe it is 30 days at AT&T.

The BB is not for everyone, you need a device you like, not one you like to hate.
Thanks so much. I greatly appreciate it.

T
Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Anthony569
Knows Where the Search Button Is

BB is not for people who put an internet browser as first-priority on a smartphone...it's for people who are big on mail, texting, voice and THEN browsing. Depends on what you're looking for re: top importance.

But if you are willing to wait for a semi-decent browser (and use a respectable-enough Opera Mini 4 in the meantime)...your patience should pay off if you stick with BB.

If not, and a really pretty browser and YouTube is the most important thing for you on a "phone"...yeah, go with an iPhone - but definitely research the current caveats about it re: battery consumption, etc. Great browser but it has its current noteworthy shortcomings about battery, touch-texting, EDGE vs. (and including) WiFi, etc. and it's a crapshoot when those caveats will be addressed.

If Apple had linked up with Verizon for the iPhone, it may have been a more attractive package from an internet standpoint. With ATT...maybe not so much. Just keep reading and do your homework if you're considering a switch.

Alot of reviews out there from non-biased sites.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 AM   #10
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Agreed. There are plenty of sites that are formatted for mobile phones (including the BlackBerry)... but if you want full web page rendering, the iPhone is your only option (Does Windows Mobile or PocketPC do full HTML?).
Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
michaelbharris

Model: 8310T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrzejewski View Post
Agreed. There are plenty of sites that are formatted for mobile phones (including the BlackBerry)... but if you want full web page rendering, the iPhone is your only option (Does Windows Mobile or PocketPC do full HTML?).
I had a Treo 750 WM6. The IE Mobile is nothing to write home about. The BB Browser I find to be superior as long as you go into the options and turn them all on. The WM6 browser goes through a WAP just like anyone elses. It does not handle frames and the like with grace and routinely overlaps items and blurrs/skews images. Looks like pixilated hell most of the time.

BTW, my Treo is gone, what a POS. I love my new 8310. Its the best PHONE I've had. Great email/text and good browser and calander. And oh.. built in GPS. Freaking cool.

I held out on the BB vs. WM for a long time. My eyes are now open. All I can see are Blackberrys.

Last edited by michaelbharris; 01-30-2008 at 08:58 AM..
Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
moorken
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: ?

blackberries are exceptionally good for what they are made for: email traffic. i don't think they will ever get closer with any other device. However, indeed its only made for this purpose, if you want to surf the web over the mobile network i suggest to buy an ultra-portable-laptop with built in 3G. since the browser is indeed crap. unless you surf only on mobile sites or to look up something quick.
just remember 1 thing, it was built for business, not as an entertainment unit...
Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
moorken
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: ?

... and i forgot: you can get a 8707 which is able to use the 3G network, which is much faster then GPRS...
Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
OP might actually want to try the iPhone. I haven't myself but supposedly browsing on it is pretty nice.
Closed Thread