Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
xman1

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default sk3 to 8320

Please Login to Remove!

I have been interested in the new 8320 since I used it a week ago at a tmobile store. Almost ready to switch BUT:

1. May be silly but does the 8320 do multitasking like the sidekick?

2. Is there a site available where I can get animated doppler radar weather..like weatherunderground?

3. Also how about a spreadsheet application..is there one?

4. Is there a site where one can do online banking including bill pay with the 8320?

Thanks

Still a little apprehensive about the smaller keyboard but received positive feedback from 8320 users that were former sk3 users..that the adjustment wasn't bad.

Paul
Old 10-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
inphiniti

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman1 View Post
I have been interested in the new 8320 since I used it a week ago at a tmobile store. Almost ready to switch BUT:

1. May be silly but does the 8320 do multitasking like the sidekick?

2. Is there a site available where I can get animated doppler radar weather..like weatherunderground?

3. Also how about a spreadsheet application..is there one?

4. Is there a site where one can do online banking including bill pay with the 8320?

Thanks

Still a little apprehensive about the smaller keyboard but received positive feedback from 8320 users that were former sk3 users..that the adjustment wasn't bad.

Paul
i just started using the bb and i love it... i havent gone crazy into it, but ive had many sk3s... i hate them, cant really stand them or their products anymore... just a paper weight to me now...

i think ull be fine withthe transition to the Curve... jsut dont ask just do LOL
Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
jsternbach
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 24218F0B
Talking

Hey Paul I used to be a sidekick 2 and 3 user myself, but have since than switched to several blackberries (cause I love the bb so much!) Ok, first off the bb has SO many apps, a hell of a lot more than the sidekick ever did or will! I know there is FREE weather app some where on this site or pinstack that you can dl. One of the reasons I switched to a bb is because there is so much free stuff, unlike the sidekick where you must pay for tones, themes, apps, etc...(Don't you have to pay like 2 bucks a month for the underground weather service?)

To answer your second question, the bb can open excel, word, and some of the other major windows/mac programs. Although, I think the spread sheet app for the bb you must buy (check out handango.com). The keypad on the bb is smaller but you certaily do get used to it, it isn't that bad after you have played with the keys for a while, it works great!

The bb can definitly multi task paul! You can be on aim chatting while on the net looking for a movie or can even be getting directions or a traffic report from google maps all at once! I never understood why some sidekick users said that you can't multi' it never made sense to me.
The only couple things I can say you might want to take into consideration (and there minor) are that the bb plan DOESN'T cover unlimited texts, that's an extra 14. Second, at the moment the aim service on the 8320 is not functioning very well this problem is not the 8320's fault but is something that tmo has to figure out with their service configs (should be fixed soon.) There is always another im service called jive talk which works phenomonally well! I am thinking about purchasing it for my 8320. Other than these two minor problems, everything else works amazingly well! I definitly say it feels so much better to be off of the sidekick, after using a berry you really see how limited the sidekick was. Hope this helps you and let us know what your decision is paul.

P.s. The battery on the blackberry lasts longer as well, so you don't have to worry about coming home at 7 to charge.

Last edited by jsternbach; 10-02-2007 at 08:11 AM..
Old 10-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
xman1

Carrier: tmobile

Hi joshie,

Thanks so much for your honest crackerjack response to my many concerns. You should be selling for bb.

Anyhow you sold me...I really like the 8320 but will actually probably wait for the 8310 cause I can use the gps feature.

Wish bb had a device with both gps and wifi but maybe sometime soon.

Thanks again
Paul
Old 10-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
anesone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

For the animated weather radar, you can modify this URL for weather underground:
http://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi...1&r=1158083101

Just change the latitude and longitude to wherever you want to see.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
XBGM3R
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900c
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsternbach View Post
Hey Paul I used to be a sidekick 2 and 3 user myself, but have since than switched to several blackberries (cause I love the bb so much!) Ok, first off the bb has SO many apps, a hell of a lot more than the sidekick ever did or will! I know there is FREE weather app some where on this site or pinstack that you can dl. One of the reasons I switched to a bb is because there is so much free stuff, unlike the sidekick where you must pay for tones, themes, apps, etc...(Don't you have to pay like 2 bucks a month for the underground weather service?)

To answer your second question, the bb can open excel, word, and some of the other major windows/mac programs. Although, I think the spread sheet app for the bb you must buy (check out handango.com). The keypad on the bb is smaller but you certaily do get used to it, it isn't that bad after you have played with the keys for a while, it works great!

The bb can definitly multi task paul! You can be on aim chatting while on the net looking for a movie or can even be getting directions or a traffic report from google maps all at once! I never understood why some sidekick users said that you can't multi' it never made sense to me.
The only couple things I can say you might want to take into consideration (and there minor) are that the bb plan DOESN'T cover unlimited texts, that's an extra 14. Second, at the moment the aim service on the 8320 is not functioning very well this problem is not the 8320's fault but is something that tmo has to figure out with their service configs (should be fixed soon.) There is always another im service called jive talk which works phenomonally well! I am thinking about purchasing it for my 8320. Other than these two minor problems, everything else works amazingly well! I definitly say it feels so much better to be off of the sidekick, after using a berry you really see how limited the sidekick was. Hope this helps you and let us know what your decision is paul.

P.s. The battery on the blackberry lasts longer as well, so you don't have to worry about coming home at 7 to charge.
jsternbach, To honest, this is excellent post! this is more clarification. Yes this is helps for sidekick users who consider to swtich from sk to bb.

Last edited by XBGM3R; 10-02-2007 at 10:55 PM..
Old 10-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
hrtlss22
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsternbach View Post

The only couple things I can say you might want to take into consideration (and there minor) are that the bb plan DOESN'T cover unlimited texts, that's an extra 14.
there is a 59.99 a month blackberry plan on t-mobile that includes- unlimited text, unlimited data and email, and 1000 min. trust me i have it and its great.

heres a link Unsupported Browser
Old 10-03-2007, 05:29 AM   #8
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I used to have a Sidekick. It's JUNK!

There's good replies here so I don't know what else to add here but I can show you my comparison chart and you will see how bad the Sidekick is compared to other smart phones.

The link to my comparison chart is in my signature.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
evaflowin

Carrier: T-Mo

so im a newly converted bb user too..

i had the sk2 and sk3, and i really liked those phones. minus all the shortcomings they had (browser was kinda slow, no option to watch videos (not record, jus load and watch), etc.)

if you're really used to typing on the sk3, there will be a learning curve when switchin to the bb. ive only had mine for 2 days so im still getting used to it.

other than that, the transition has been good. its a little more expensive since i had to add a text plan, but ive been playin wit this thing since i got it, reading up on what i can do with it, neglecting work.. haha.

but yea, i kinda bought the bb quickly (well, 2 days research or so), and have no buyers remorse whatsoever.

good luck wit ur decision..
Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
hungdang80
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I'm also a SK3 to Curve user. Evaflowin is right about adjusting to the keyboard on the Curve. The SK3 was much easier to type on, but it was also bulky as hell to carry around. You have so much more flexibility with the Curve. For instance, I'm always changing ringtones, and with the Curve, I can just make my own from my exstensive mp3 library. Even able to use the parts of the songs I like only. Never will pay a dime for ringtones from now on. I haven't delved that deep into the Curve yet though. Just been experimenting with video/audio playback since purchasing it last week. Just the fact that the Curve blows away Sk3's internet browsing is worth the purchase. I'm not even gonna get into the wifi phone calls you can make with the Curve.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
XBGM3R

To sidekick users,

Keep in your mind, the keyboard on the Curve and the SK3. The SK3 was much easier to type on, because it is horizontal keyboard. the Curve is more different type on from the SK3. Curve's keyboard is vertical.

So, you have getta used to type on the curve's vertical keyboard in few days or few weeks.

Good Luck!

Last edited by XBGM3R; 10-04-2007 at 06:52 PM..
Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #12
hrtlss22
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBGM3R View Post
To sidekick users,

Keep in your mind, the keyboard on the Curve and the SK3. The SK3 was much easier to type on, because it is horizontal keyboard. the Curve is more different type on from the SK3. Curve's keyboard is vertical.

So, you have getta used to type on the curve's vertical keyboard in few days or few weeks.

Good Luck!
what do you mean vertical? the curve's keyboard just has smaller keys; full qwerty nonetheless....
Old 10-05-2007, 03:16 AM   #13
XBGM3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtlss22 View Post
what do you mean vertical? the curve's keyboard just has smaller keys; full qwerty nonetheless....
hrtlss, No, that's not reason "The curve keyboard is smaller keys". there is no an excuse. Sidekick keyboard has smaller keys too. Curve and SK3 have the same button small keys. UMMmmm.. Look picture as below:

My sexy curve on left. My fiancee's sk3 on right side.

Curve is vertical and Sidekick is horizontal. If the horizontal sidekick is in hands that much easier to type on.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 AM   #14
hrtlss22
Thumbs Must Hurt

well thanks for the elaborate picture display. i understand the vertical and horizontal layouts now. but they keys or buttons on the 8320 are smaller and closer together. thats all i was saying.
Closed Thread