BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Grogg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Create sub-forum for users of BB regarding accessibility needs??

Please Login to Remove!

There seems to be considerable doubt here in this BB forum on the need for a subforum based on BB users' experience who would like to see improvements in the area of accessibility. Ironically though it is RIM who is helping set the stage on addressing accessibility issues for BB users as seen in their recent beta accessibility guide (docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/11936/JDE_5.0_AccessibilityGuide_Beta.pdf ).

Quote:
• blind people
• visually impaired people
• colorblind people
• deaf people
• hearing impaired people
• speech impaired people
• people with motor impairments
• people with cognitive or learning disabilities

Like any other group of users, people with disabilities or impairments have needs, wants, and expectations about the behavior of applications. Some of the reasons to make your applications accessible to as many users as possible include the following possible benefits:
• Social responsibility: Making it easier for people with disabilities or impairments to benefit from the functionality that your application provides can promote equality and is the right thing to do.
• Market share: Ensuring that your application can be used by people with disabilities or impairments increases the number of people who can purchase and benefit from your application.
• Compliance: Addressing the applicable guidelines and regulatory requirements (such as Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act in the United States) that dictate that your application must be accessible by people with disabilities or impairments can allow you to enter certain markets.
RIM is making a case on greater inclusion for those with certain disabilities in their ongoing design changes to address accessbility needs.

Great ideas are born not out of silence but of voices.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I think one thread is enough.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/site...-bb-users.html
Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Grogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I think one thread is enough.
No. That thread specifically discusses about deaf/hh BB users. This thread here is for those BB users with one or more "disability" or conditions who would like to discuss various accessibility issues regarding BB phones whether they are deaf, hard of hearing or hearing. Secondly, the moderator said to go ahead a start a thread to measure the responses. And so I did.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogg View Post
No. That thread specifically discusses about deaf/hh BB users. This thread here is for those BB users with one or more "disability" or conditions who would like to discuss various accessibility issues regarding BB phones whether they are deaf, hard of hearing or hearing. Secondly, the moderator said to go ahead a start a thread to measure the responses. And so I did.
You posted this exact same content in the other thread, so what is different in this one? Most disabled people I know don't want to be looked at differently than anyone else, and thus would prefer to assimilate. So why, then, would you want to segregate disabled BlackBerry users? If they can read and write, they can and should participate in ALL sections of this forum, not just some closed-off little world.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

While I agree dc/dc, we'll let it be. This thread can be for those with one or more "disability" or conditions discussion. The other thread... for HOH.

Meanwhile, dc, why are you dissing the Polish?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Grogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
You posted this exact same content in the other thread, so what is different in this one? Most disabled people I know don't want to be looked at differently than anyone else, and thus would prefer to assimilate. So why, then, would you want to segregate disabled BlackBerry users? If they can read and write, they can and should participate in ALL sections of this forum, not just some closed-off little world.
This is a matter of perspective here and certainly not about being looked at differently. Although, I'd be careful about the words "closed-off little world" when this thread is for BB users with a variety of "disabilities" or conditions (or not) to submit their own responses about the idea of creating a subforum that covers accessbility issues for future BB phones. The creation of a subforum is not the equivalent of having a "closed-off little world." You don't have to have a "disability" or condition to speak up or even propose ideas or suggestions in an accessibility issue subforum should it ever come about. This is, after all, a way to help RIM hopefully improve their BB phones even further.

Last edited by Grogg; 04-13-2010 at 05:57 PM..
Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogg View Post
You don't have to have a "disability" or condition to speak up or even propose ideas or suggestions in an accessibility issue subforum should it ever come about.
You are absolutely correct. But look at it the other way, too. Nothing is preventing those with a "disability" from posting in the other subforums.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Nothing is preventing those with a "disability" from posting in the other subforums.
Exactly... what we've said in the other thread.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
Grogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
You are absolutely correct. But look at it the other way, too. Nothing is preventing those with a "disability" from posting in the other subforums.
Under the "accessibility" subforum and not about "disability" per se.

Now, how many discussions were there under the " accessibility" topic thread ? Or are they sprinkled all over the place and not under one roof? Instead of searching one can simply go to the "accessibility subforum" section and find something they were looking for. I'm bringing this up only because addressing accessbility needs seem to be RIM's goal lately.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:38 AM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Meanwhile, dc, why are you dissing the Polish?
LOL