BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
todd_dsm

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Is there a BlackBerry Manager for linux?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm looking for the BlackBerry Manager for linux, or equivalent.

I have one user in the office (the boss) that uses a blackberry. You get 1 freebie license with the purchase of the phone apparently so we've downloaded the BlackBerry Manager and now he's getting emails to his BB Tour 9630.

Now, we're moving all services to linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 to be specific. We will be using Zimbra to replace MS Exchange and then I'll need something like BB Manager to keep the emails going to his Tour 9630.

If anyone knows the answer to this mystery I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance.

TT
Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
the maddman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: 3312e4fc

I'm guessing you are using a single license version of BES, perhaps BES Express.

Blackberry Enterprise Server runs on Windows and supports Lotus Notes, Novell Groupwise and MS Exchange. That's it.

If email is all you want, just make his mailbox available via IMAP and setup BIS to pull the email from there. You do not get Calendar or contact sync that way and it only polls the email every few minutes.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
mqazi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 211C331E
Carrier: Telenor

try this:

Mobile collaboration tools for enterprise messaging for mobile devices
Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

If you are using BES Express or BPS (Blackberry Professional Software) for small installations they run quite well in a virtual machine. You can even use Windows XP if you have the license hanging around.

My personal system I have one machine running VMWare ESXi with an XP guest running BPS and the Zarafa BES connector, an Ubuntu guest running the Zarafa server (it came as an appliance so getting it running was a snap), and two CentOS guests, one running an LDAP server, one a web server. I'm guessing Zimbra with their BES connector would do the job. The whole thing has been incredibly stable even though I use it as a test bed for software development.

You may of course use your own preferred flavor of Windows and virtualization.
VMWare Server works, I think Virtual Box would probably do as well.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
todd_dsm

Default More Info, replies, et al

Sorry I can't speak more eloquently on this subject we've been working with it for about a week. And honestly it only took a few minutes to set up. I hope this clarifies:

The Shortcut on the desktop says:
Code:
BlackBerry Manager
If I were to right-click on it, It points to:
Target:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BBMgr\Server\SMBbbmgrw32.exe"
Start In:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BBMgr\Server\"
Comment:
Code:
Tool to manage BlackBerry handheld configurations
The splash screen says:
Code:
BlackBerry Manager 4.1
Open the app > Help > About:
Code:
BlackBerry Manager 4.1.1
"the maddman"
Q: A single license version of BES, perhaps BES Express?'
A: I remember the term 'single license' from doing the research a week ago. That sounds correct.

"mqazi"
Zimbra Mobile Connector: this is the part we have not gotten to yet. I intend to buy a license for this and give it some testing time. It seems cool but on the "Zimbra Mobile Device List" page they list specific BB devices, which makes me thing that no all BB devices are supported; the Tour is not listed.

"hrbuckley"
We will be keeping 1 XP system up and running as a print server as the printer we are using has no linux drivers. It will serve a few other purposes as well. Maybe that's the key. Whether we use the Zimbra Mobile Connector or the BB Manager depends on how well each functions.

I hope I've gotten you more relevant information; I'll include this in my profile moving forward. Thanks for taking the time everyone. Any more suggestions based on the new info above are certainly welcome.

Cheers mates-

T
Old 10-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Blackberry Manager is the GUI management interface for the BES which does most of its work with services. I think what you are looking at is this: BlackBerry

RIM used to offer BES and Blackberry Enterprise Server Express, which was essentially a full BES with one free license and a upper limit on the number of licenses that could be added (15 IIRC). Then they had a product storm that resulted in a number of things including Blackberry Professional Software which is a BES with a simplified admin interface aimed at small installations that don't need or want the management complexity that comes with the flexibility provided by the full on BES. The also moved the "Express" introductory offer to BPS, which probably makes a lot of sense.

If you want to provide BES services then you need some flavor of BES which will include the "Blackberry Manager" admin interface, and if you also want to provide email, calendar, etc you need some flavor of group ware Lotus, Domino or Exchange or their moral equivalent Zimbra with their Mobile Connector in your case. The "Blackberry Manager" is just one piece of a complex jigsaw that include Microsoft SQL server, Apache Tomcat server and a bunch of other stuff you'd probably rather not know about.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
todd_dsm

OK, so it can't be done. I'll test Zimbra/Mobile Connector with the Tour. Thank you all for taking the time - great forum.
Closed Thread