Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Telus
Default Rebuild Exchange / BES too?

Please Login to Remove!

Our Exchange server is now crippled, external / internal and BES emails works on it but not OWA. The only way to get OWA working again is to reinstall Exchange, I am wondering if there is any kind of disaster recovery system that allows me to install BES on a new Exchange without having to reinstall everything from scratch again?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 08-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

BES is installed on your exchange server?

The permissions are in Active Directory unless AD is borked it should work fine. Although you may have to reactivate people.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||
BES is installed on your exchange server?

The permissions are in Active Directory unless AD is borked it should work fine. Although you may have to reactivate people.
Well we have separate machine running our BES 4.0.x server, I just thought that when you installed BES (obviously I have never installed it before) it also installed some kind of plugin to talk with your Exchange server?

The problem is our Exchange server was initially setup on on AD server which was causing us problems (the previous CTO set it up that way) so I installed a new AD and moved all the roles off the Exchange AD including the GC to the new box. Anyhow once we removed Exchange from AD our .net stuff for OWA got a screwed, BES is emails are working still, and normal internal/external emails are working. So its said that I need to uninstall Exchange and reinstall is using the /disasterrecovery option, but I was thinking of playing it safe and building new Exchange and moving everything from the old box to the new one before removing the old box. I just don't know how it's going to effect BES?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 08-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...-big-sigh.html

From this thread AD is part of the problem...
Old 08-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...-big-sigh.html

From this thread AD is part of the problem...
AD is not the problem as far as what's going with Exchange as I found out from talking with Microsoft's PSS who I think know better. The problem is that when you remove AD from a Exchange box it changes the permissions on .net which Exchange sets up when installed initially. The only short way to fix it is to move the mailboxes and uninstall Exchange then reinstall Exchange using the /disasterrecovery option.

My question still stands regarding how BES intergrates with Exchange, and if I where to build a new Exchange box and move the old mailboxes over before nuking the current Exchange does it effect BES if so how? Or what do I need to do?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 08-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I was merely referring to your earlier thread. I am glad Microsoft helped you out.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
I was merely referring to your earlier thread. I am glad Microsoft helped you out.
Nothing here still explains to me how BES intergrates with Exchange, is there something on the BES side that I can change which will allow me to point BES to another Exchange server or does it talk to Exchage the old fashion way, smoke signals?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 08-21-2006, 07:54 AM   #8
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

BES "integrates" into Exchange by the admin account --> So if you move this account to the new Exchange box and follow the install guide for the correct permissions, you will be all set.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
silentbob

Model: 8700

Hi autsoldnow - product version info would help, assuming your E2K3 w/ BES 4.x? I'd definetly go with building a new Exchange Box. E2K3 on Domain Controller your asking for trouble.

Re how it all 'integrates' - BES still references a user's legacyExchangeDN assuming your new box is in the same Exchange org, you can safely move mailboxes between stores & servers (i do this all the time as i have to constantly juggle space between my stores).

I'd use ESM to move the mailboxes - as this also moves "BlackBerryHandheldInfo" folder at the root of the MAPI folder (you can use mdbvu32 to view this). Not sure if exmerge will do this.

Hope this helps.
Closed Thread