Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
lyndah

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Default help water damaged phone

Please Login to Remove!

Hi you all and thanks in advance for reading this... my daughter dropped her phone into a rock pool :(, she has only had it 4 weeks!!!, she took everything out and did the rice thing she was told to do..and it was left over nite. the light came on with the battery symbol on it with the red x... i took it into a phone shop and the guy put a new battery in and it turned on ( loading the blackberry line) then went off again... there is red inside the phone and the battery bit also... in my wisdom ( not) i thought i would help while she at school and blow dry it with hair dryer for a bit ( still red), i now again have it in plastic bag covered in rice.. can anyone tell me have i ruined any chance of it working as this is her 3rd mobile and her dad will go nuts at her breaking yet another with being clumsy..
any advice be much appreciated
Old 05-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: help water damaged phone

From your account, you only left it to dry over night. That is not even near long enough. But it is probably ruined now; if it wasn't immediately, it is now by putting the battery back before it was thoroughly dry.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
ChloeSky

Model: 9330
Carrier: Verizon

I agree with aiharkness. I've been in the same situation before, mine was dropped in bath water (clean, no soap yet). I immediately removed the battery and towel dried the outer casing, battery and it's compartment as best I could. I just knew it was ruined but planned on letting it sit for a day or two with battery removed just to see. I was informed about the rice trick that same day and immediately rushed to the store for a bag of rice. I placed the device and battery seperate into a tupperware container with the rice completely surrounding all sides of the phone. I left it there for 48 hours exactly before powering it back on and voila! Worked just fine. This was about a year ago, and I still use that same phone to this day. The rice trick is no hoax, you just have to quick about removing the battery, placing the phone, batt and rice in an airtight seal and not powering it on for at least 2 days. If there's any moisture still present while the phone's running it's very likely to short out and become useless. Also, you should never use hot air (blow dryer, HVAC in ur car, etc.) to dry the device as the high temperature can damage the circuits and such inside the phone also rendering it useless. If your blow dryer has a cool setting then that's fine though. Sorry for ur loss, it really sucks to lose a phone and violate ur warranty with the high prices and contracts carriers use nowadays.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Please do not double post as one is enough. Your second thread has been closed.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
alondradiaz

Model: 9800
Carrier: telus

hello i have the same problem but its a blackberry 9800, i need help..do you think it will doing good when it get dry?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by alondradiaz View Post
hello i have the same problem but its a blackberry 9800, i need help..do you think it will doing good when it get dry?
Read the thread. Two key points. You need to remove the battery immediately, and you need to dry the device completely. Do that and there is a good chance, but no guarantee.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
natashaclaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: meteor

Hi Guys! I have the same problem..... Lost my phone a few days ago and had it returned to me today. Was told that water had gotten into the phone but that it was left to dry out for two days. When I went to turn it on today the battery symbol with the red x is showing up. Does this mean the phone itself is still working and that its just the battery that's broken? Is it too late to do the rice thing now? Would really appreciate any help, thank you all
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

It's your call.

Here is the skinny. Two days of drying would ordinarily not be enough. (See blackberryfaq.com.) Putting the battery back before the device is dry has a good chance of ruining the device very quickly. So the device may be dead. Or maybe not.

If you can, test your battery in another device. Or, if you can borrow a battery, do that. And the thing you may want to do is dry the device in uncooked rice for four days or more. Then test. But you need to dry the device properly first.

Or you may just want to get another device.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 07-10-2012 at 07:25 AM..
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
natashaclaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: meteor

Thanks a million
Closed Thread