Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
andrewilley

Model: 9360
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK
Default Help - Virgin 9360 upgrade seems to have frozen

Please Login to Remove!

I've just downloaded the current OTA upgrade for my daughter's 9360 (just a newer build of OS 7.0 than the one that it came with) in the hopes of maybe dealing with an intermittent issue of SD card errors. I made sure the SD card was error-free before starting, in case the upgrade needed to use it.

The upgrade (33.9MB) downloaded and verified OK, and the phone was going though doing a backup of her current data. The last time I checked the screen it showed it was about 50% done with the backup phase, however about 30 mins later I looked again and the screen is now completely off and no buttons work at all (the charger is plugged in). I can't get it to do anything, and I'm sure an upgrade process shouldn't act like that with no progress indicator showing.

Any ideas? Is this normal for a Blackberry? And if not, what's my next step?

Andre
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
andrewilley

Default Re: Help - Virgin 9360 upgrade seems to have frozen

I left it overnight in case it was still doing something, but it was just as dead this morning.

I did a battery pull and when I re-inserted the battery the phone came back on (without pressing power button) to a white screen with a spinning hourglass and a small icon top-right. That lasted for a couple of minutes and then a progress bar saying "Patching OS" appeared. This took about 3-4 minutes to move up to 100%, and then it started again at 0%. This time it got up to 34% and then the phone turned off again (with a brief red flash from the LED).

Now it's in the same state as last night, powered off and no buttons will do anything. Tried another battery pull and the LED then goes red for a couple of seconds when I re-insert the battery, but otherwise it's still dead and won't power up.

Help! Any advice?

Andre

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-07-2012 at 01:25 AM..
Old 10-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
andrewilley

Problem sorted. I connected it to a PC and that kicked it back into life eventually (took a while) and after some false starts it reverted itself back to the old OS and restored data from the backup it had made. Seems OK now.

Next time, I'm going to use the PC software rather than relying on whatever Virgin have fired out over the air!

Andre
Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks for posting the followups. What you experienced ahouldnt be normal, of course, but it seems to be common if you can judge by the forums. And even when the OTA update works, it still can take hours and hours sometimes, again going by the forums.

Best thing to do is use the computer. Many people will say the best thing to do is download the device software and install the old fashioned way. Fingers crossed, but I've had good luck so far letting Desktop Manager do it automatically.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread