Old 05-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
MitchellBBPearl8230
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Missed call notification ... ??

Please Login to Remove!

I've only had this BB Pearl 8230 for about a month now. But today I had a situation happen and it's the 3rd time, and it's something that is pretty serious. I might have missed calls with my Samsung cell phone in the 4 years that I had it prior to this BB, but right afterwards, a missed call notification came through which had a beep so loud, I never missed it no matter what noise interference was around me at any given moment. It wasn't an insistent beep, just a long sequence that was very loud without splitting ear drums and I knew right away who to call back.

I know I have some wiggle room with the volume on the ringtones themselves but is there any way to assign a sound to a missed call/voice mail notification? This is serious. I missed a call from an 1½ hours ago that I just found out about half an hour ago. But when I called back, I couldn't reach them. There may be a serious problem and I won't know until they're near a phone and can try me again! Meanwhile, I'm here worrying and wondering what's going on.

Pls, is there anything we can do? I was testing out a friend's ringtone earlier today but didn't answer the call and then I actually coindentally saw the missed call notification icon come on. But no sound. So if you lose track of time and don't check visually very often, you're outta luck!

My provider was no help when I immediately called to ask them about fixing this serious lack (but they've given me bad or wrong information already so I can't trust their tech support).

Any idea on how to fix this, pls? This is a serious flaw that needs correcting.

Thx. Very much appreciated. I'd be very grateful for any assistance with this.

Last edited by MitchellBBPearl8230; 05-22-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
MitchellBBPearl8230

Anyone? Thx.

The call I missed turned out to be serious, but thankfully, not life-threatening. Having a better system in place re missed calls would save me a lot of grief! If my old rinky-dink stupid Samsung had a better system, surely the Pearl can be tweaked somehow ... stands to reason as in many ways it's head-and-shoulders above the old, very basic Samsung.

Last edited by MitchellBBPearl8230; 05-25-2010 at 10:50 PM..
Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T

Well i would think they would call back if it was that important.

To attempt to fix your problem, look up "berrybuzz" i used to use it on my bold so if i had a text, call, anything it would flash the LED till i cleared whatever message etc it was.

All of your fixes will be 3rd party apps as this functionality (making it beep louder or longer beyond initial notification) is not in the OS itself on the phone.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
MitchellBBPearl8230

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRinger View Post
Well i would think they would call back if it was that important.
Um, thought I should mention ... ever hear about what is said about the word "assume" ...

It turned out to be as I feared, they had a few moments to make a call, were rushed to leave a message and then were incomunicado till I managed to reach them later. Fortunately, though quite serious, not life-threatening. Sometimes people only have time to make a quick call and don't leave a message so as to not worry people. Esp. if they're not tech savvy, they don't realize that we have ways and means and the worry is worse when you don't know what's happening! So, I don't want this to ever happen again, as you can imagine!

Fortunately, unlike my first 3 experiences, last 2 calls to my cell phone provider truly yielded BB experts. I signed up here due to the idiots I got at first! <g> But this was so important I tried again. And I'm glad I did!

Although I haven't gotten _which_ setting is doing the job, the phone itself has the feature built in that is off BY DEFAULT. With some more tweaking I believe I'll have the behaviour working exactly as needed for both vibrate and my phone profile of choice. So far, it's working for when it's NOT on vibrate mode.

In the speaker, on the home screen, I clicked on this sequence:

ADVANCED > for each pertinent profile (i.e., for me mostly "Phone Only" > here's where he didn't know which so I changed them in _all_ - "LEVEL 1", "MESSAGES", "SMS TEXT" > for both OUT OF HOSTER and IN HOLSTER changed from "MUTE" to "TONE" in all.

Mute was the default!

Then underneath, for both in and out of holster, I selected the BB sound everyone is used to, "Notifier_Lightspeed", then set the volume to HIGH, and then the # of beeps to 3.

In other words, _wherever_ I set the MUTE to TONE, I chose the BB lightspeed, volume to high and beeps to 3.

What I haven't yet figured out is which of the options under ADVANCED actually is the one that handles voice mail, whether it's

- Level1

"Messages" seemed the most logical but when I had only that one, it didn't work. I tested by repeatedly calling myself from the land-line on hand and leaving a message <g>. But I'm leaving all of them as I've set them for now since it is working. But I'll narrow it down to which one is for voice mail one of these days.

Anyway, this works just perfectly so far. Walking by heavy traffic downtown last night I missed my brother's call but got the lightspeed notification 2 minutes later! This rocks! People won't mind my missing a call if they know that by leaving a message, I'll likely be calling them back within minutes.

The ringtones are set to high and I normalized my MP3s to a high volume without distortion, but music being what it is, traffic really blocks them quite effectively. The lightspeed notification, though, is audible even in traffic if it's set at high so that's good. And since they're beeps, I suspect the volume will be tolerable enough even in closed indoor quarters. If not, everyone is used to the BB sound so I'm hoping it will be okay even then.

I'm now going to go back to tweak the vibrate settings since I left those slightly different and they'll need adjusting. I get vibrate only for all when I need only incoming calls to be vibrate mode. The scheduler items and voice mail need two other and different settings.

Cheers.

Last edited by MitchellBBPearl8230; 05-29-2010 at 06:34 AM..
Old 05-29-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
MitchellBBPearl8230

Default Got it!

I got it. For when the phone needs to be in vibrate mode (i.e., at work), the setting to change when voice mail is coming in is SMS TEXT.

I have it also using the Notifier_Lightspeed but adjusted the volume to low and the # of beeps to just 1. In the remote chance of a call during the few meetings we have here and there, the phone is set to vibrate but the voice mail notification will now give me one beep at low volume.

This way I won't miss out on any job opportunity. I'm in a short-term, low pay contract, so can't miss _any_ of these calls, either.

Thanks everyone. I'll check out that buzz 3rd party, though. There may be options there that are better than the built-in BBPrl8203 ones.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Phone Only means that EVERYTHING other than a phone call; is set to mute by default.
Because its the "phone Only" profile.
Theres no point having a "phone only" profile, if you set everything to tone. That would be a normal profile.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
MitchellBBPearl8230

Default Regular phone ("NORMAL") and "VIBRATE" modes. My new settings ...

<rofl> OMG, that's too funny for words!! <g> I had everything working except in vibrate mode. Was not getting the voice mail notification there, at all. Well, d'uh! Turns out that as you pointed out, I was in the wrong profile for incoming calls! <lol> Too funny. I switched over to Normal and changed the settings for both and so far, so good!

For new BB users like me, this might be helpful ...

Via pressing on the Speaker icon in home screen, I chose ADVANCED at the bottom, below all the listed profiles.

From there I chose to edit each of the 2 profiles in _both_ "in-" and "out of the holster" here are the settings I chose:

VIBRATE

CALENDAR (for meeting notifications):
========
- TONE
- RingTone: Notifier_ChiGong (has 1 "bong" sound only, least intrusive)
- Volume: Low
- # of beeps: 1

LEVEL 1 [which I assume is term that means incoming calls (??)]
======
- TONE
- RingTone: Vibrate
- # of beeps: 3

SMS TEXT (voice mail)
========
- TONE
- RingTone: Notifier LightSpeed

Then for when I switch the phone off vibrate mode at the end of the day and then back to regular phone ...

NORMAL

CALENDAR (left same as above, no need for anything different)
========
- TONE
- RingTone: Notifier_ChiGong (least intrusive)

LEVEL 1 [incoming calls (??)]
======
- TONE
- RingTone: my favourite ringtone
- Volume: High
- # of beeps: 3 (left at 3 but don't know if this actually does anything since I'm using an MP3)

SMS TEXT (voice mail) - IMPORTANT one here since I miss calls when in high noise level situations
========
- TONE
- RingTone: Notifier LightSpeed
- Volume: HIGH (to hopefully always hear above ambient noise)
- # of beeps: 3 (maximum # of beeps)

Time will tell if I have it right but I just tried both phone profiles and left myself a message during each one. Seems to be doing the job okay. I might not need a 3rd party for this. I hope not; it's always ideal when you're able to use what's on hand.

Thanks for clarifying this for me. I somehow got onto the PHONE ONLY profile early on and I stayed there. But the notifications were definitely not working as they should when in vibrate mode. Seems to be okay now but I'll see how things work as time goes by.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
lorilatt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Credo

I don't know if this works with a Pearl, but...

Phone Screen> Menu key> Options> Call Logs> Select "Missed Calls" to show these calls in Messages list (when you miss a call, this setting should give you whatever sound you have selected for Messages in your current profile).
Closed Thread