Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Silent Alerts / Loud Profile

Please Login to Remove!

I thought I had figured out this new alert profile scheme for the Tour, but I just discovered a new problem. I don't want to get alert sounds for emails. I get too many to be bothered knowing about each one, and all I want to do is turn the LED on. I thought I had figured this out, I set the Volume on the message alerts to "Silent", and all was well. But recently I noticed that if I have the "Loud" profile enabled, I start hearing alerts for Messages (and other things that I don't want to hear for that matter). It seems like "Loud" overrides the volume setting (which makes sense), except that it would make more sense to me that if I had "silent" selected it would stay silent ... but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Is there a way to silence alerts for messages for *ALL* profiles? I couldn't see any obvious way to do that...

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Each profile needs to be adjusted individually. No setting for "all" .
Old 08-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
Each profile needs to be adjusted individually. No setting for "all" .
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I don't see how to adjust each profile. Or, more specifically, I don't see any options associated with the "Loud" profile, as an example. All I can see is the "Set Ring Tones / Alerts" menu, which I have already set to "Silent" for all my email accounts. This works as expected when I select "Normal", but when I select "Loud", I get audible alerts for emails...
Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Travis02

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatti View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I don't see how to adjust each profile. Or, more specifically, I don't see any options associated with the "Loud" profile, as an example. All I can see is the "Set Ring Tones / Alerts" menu, which I have already set to "Silent" for all my email accounts. This works as expected when I select "Normal", but when I select "Loud", I get audible alerts for emails...

Your not the only one because im confused. I thought I had made a profile and adjusted ringtones for each person and then all of the sudden I switch to vibrate and my phone kept making sounds.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Joe1004
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW

There are multiple posts and threads on this subject. Search and you will find.

Quickly, the out of the box profiles are only edited in a minor way, such as what tone you want. They are all based on the "Normal" profile. There is no editing the others.

However, the fix is to create a custom profile. A custom profile can be edited even more individually than in previous OS versions. Make a new custom profile to do exactly what you want, then use it for that occasion.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1004 View Post
There are multiple posts and threads on this subject. Search and you will find.

Quickly, the out of the box profiles are only edited in a minor way, such as what tone you want. They are all based on the "Normal" profile. There is no editing the others.

However, the fix is to create a custom profile. A custom profile can be edited even more individually than in previous OS versions. Make a new custom profile to do exactly what you want, then use it for that occasion.
I'm aware of custom profiles, but it seemed like I shouldn't need to create a custom profile to get my desired behavior. But maybe that's the only official answer.

Another thought I had was creating an empty MP3, and assigning it to the message alerts...
Old 08-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Berto
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
I'm aware of custom profiles, but it seemed like I shouldn't need to create a custom profile to get my desired behavior. But maybe that's the only official answer.

Another thought I had was creating an empty MP3, and assigning it to the message alerts...
I agree. This is stupid. I want to use THEIR vibrate profile but just silence my e-mails. Now you're saying I need to make "Custom Vibrate" just to change one little thing? Stupid. BlackBerry OS shouldn't be taking away features because I did this with 4.5 on the Pearl.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I agree. This is stupid. I want to use THEIR vibrate profile but just silence my e-mails. Now you're saying I need to make "Custom Vibrate" just to change one little thing? Stupid. BlackBerry OS shouldn't be taking away features because I did this with 4.5 on the Pearl.
Man ... I didn't realize the same problem applied to "vibrate" ... what a drag. This definitely seems like a flawed concept to me .....
Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Berto

Agreed. Is there an official place to put bug reports / feature requests to the BlackBerry OS teams?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

[email address]
Old 08-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #11
Berto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
[email address]
Thanks NJBlackBerry. I urge everyone to e-mail this list whenever the Tour is giving you annoyances, and link to the discussion if there are a lot of others complaining about it. Hopefully RIM's team listens. The Tour is very good but needs some touch-up work.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
fizz

Carrier: Sprint

this new type of "Profiles" are a pain in the a$$, it's taking up most of my time just trying to get it to do what my Curve did. no idea why they reinvented the wheel on this one instead of being able to transfer profiles.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
pvdiamon

PIN: N/A
Carrier: US Cellular

Quote:

This Profile thing is a real nuisance. How do you create an "empty MP3"?

That might be the answer to get emails to NOT alert in the profiles. My custom profile was successful in stopping Email alerts, but it also stopped SMS alerts which I had set to vibrate. So there is clearly a problem.