BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #61
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

They have policies in place, some which prevent certain functions of the device to work. They may disable the camera or SMS for example. Would you call and complain if that were the case?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #62
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
4. The only ignorance I see is where IT administrators forget the one reason why they even have a job - to SUPPORT THE USERS, not to act like trolls.
I think it is obvious who the troll is here.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #63
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
I could not guarantee 100% I would not need to call IT about a problem, but why would use of a personal device for business reasons be a problem. If I called them up to ask why facebook or myspace wasn't working then they would be justified in hanging up. But if my address book stopped syncing (company address book that is), how would that be wasting resources, when another BB user with a company owned BB could legitimately ask the same question. It gets back to the whole purpose of the IT support function. They do lots of good stuff that keeps all our equipment running, but at the heart of it all - what is that equipment for ...... to keep the business running ... so we can make money!
The Storm is a new device running a new version of the OS. If you call because your calendar is not syncing, I can't tell if it's a setting relating to the OS.

My guess is that your IT department also restrict which version of the BB OS is allowed on a company owned device.

You will also be the first one to complain when you leave the company and your IT department wipes ALL data from your BB.

Grow up.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #64
CanuckBB

Quote:
The worrying aspect of what I've read on this thread is that the IT administrator could disable certain features on MY device - well that sux royal ass. Could an admin actually disable my camera or even prevent me from accessing my media card? What a joke. Why would they do that - other than spite?
Device on my network, I have total control over it.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #65
CanuckBB

Quote:
Correct - very much so. I work in this business and I'm double the age of the average person here which is why I probably do not understand their point of view.

Strangely enough someone referred to me as Gen-Y when I was thinking the same thing about them - how ironic.

Seeing as this forum is frequented mostly by IT admins and managers, that would then make you well into your 60s then.

If your as old as you claim, you should understand the concepts behind network and data security.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #66
pandaman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I keep forgetting the calling people Nazis is a joke.
I have to remember that.

BES Admins around the world - IT'S JUST A JOKE!

Don't tell me how to run my life, junior. Go back to the iPhone and learn a bit about security and privacy before you start calling people Nazis, which in most circles is considered an insult and not a joke.
Junior .... iPhone .... run your life. Sheesh, timeout buddy. How many more insults before the pot is calling the kettle black here. Why don't you go and take your grievances out on Seinfeld - you might even make some money out of it. (don't take that as direction on how to run your life - OK)

I accept that using the "N" word, which you have probably done now more than me, can strike a fine nerve or offend. I have apologised, and now again for the last time. Really I do mean it.

Please contribute to the thread. Surely after up-teen thousand posts you have something constructive to say.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #67
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I have given you much advice as to why companies enforce IT policies. You refuse to accept that with the response "but it is a personal device".

You don't want to listen to the administrators who explain that they are responsible to the corporate, auditors and shareholders to enforce these policies for everyone. Even those with personal devices. You refuse to accept that with the response "but it is a personal device".

I seriously wish you the best of luck.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #68
pandaman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
Seeing as this forum is frequented mostly by IT admins and managers, that would then make you well into your 60s then.

If your as old as you claim, you should understand the concepts behind network and data security.
Not quite 60 but getting there <sigh>

True - I do understand the concepts, more than I can intimate here. And that is why no device of mine is ever going to be a threat to my company's network. You have made my point for me - thankyou.

BTW it's you're - not your. You younger people make that mistake too often these days.

Last edited by pandaman; 12-12-2008 at 10:22 AM..
Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #69
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Then act like it.

Quote:
BTW it's you're - not your. You younger people make that mistake too often these days.
Internet Forum Troll Trait #2: When nothing else works, attack the grammar. Petty and immature for some hitting retirement age.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #70
jsconyers

Who has the popcorn?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #71
devnull

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Quote:

True - I do understand the concepts, more than I can intimate here. And that is why no device of mine is ever going to be a threat to my company's network. You have made my point for me - thankyou.

pandaman,

You cannot guarantee that your device will not be a threat to the company. More importantly, the company cannot guarantee it since it is your device.

As you have already stated, the goal is to keep the company running(your words). You must( I hope) understand that keeping the company running requires resource management. If you are the age you elude to, you know what resource management entails.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #72
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

Quote:
You make some good points here - and this touches on a point I also made. I see IT as a support function - it is broadly acknowledged as such in my company (that's why they call it IT support).

I could not guarantee 100% I would not need to call IT about a problem, but why would use of a personal device for business reasons be a problem. If I called them up to ask why facebook or myspace wasn't working then they would be justified in hanging up. But if my address book stopped syncing (company address book that is), how would that be wasting resources, when another BB user with a company owned BB could legitimately ask the same question. It gets back to the whole purpose of the IT support function. They do lots of good stuff that keeps all our equipment running, but at the heart of it all - what is that equipment for ...... to keep the business running ... so we can make money!
Speaking from recent experience of setting up & supporting some Storms within our org... I suspect your IT would like to standardize on specific devices to limit support issues. The Storm is quite different than any BB we've had (from 7520's forward) and requires, in my opinion, substantially more support. Supporting non-standard, personal devices takes away from maintaining network infrastructure, rolling out new hardware, etc.

Just a suspicion...
Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #73
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:

Then I doubt you are twice the age of the average poster

No. You don't understand or this thread never would have been started.

YOUR just adding fuel to the fire this this comment.

Last post from me.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #74
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Who has the popcorn?
ROTFL!!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #75
CanuckBB

Quote:

No, you don't understand. It's not about you. It's about not being to fully support a device/OS that is unknown. What if I miss an IT policy setup for the new OS and information is either leaked or not logged properly? Guess what, YOU won't be front and center explaining to the board and the auditors and perhaps even government compliance agencies what happenned. I will.

Would you ask your IT admin why you can't connect your personnal laptop to the company's network and get access to all of the company's resources?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #76
jc1350

Model: none
Carrier: ATT

Pandaman:

You don't seem to understand what a policy is. It's a rule/law in the corporate world. It's more strict than a guideline (which is a suggestion, not rule).

You also don't seem to understand that it is not the IT grunts (myself being one) who make the policies. They are made by upper management (usually a committee, not just one person) and filter down. If the IT folks cave to your desires, they open them selves up to be fired just for the act (regardless if you or your phone do anything intentional or not that causes a problem, loss of data, etc).

Maybe you should schedule some time with your company's CIO to discuss the policies. He/She is ultimately responsible for the company's data integrity, so he/she is ultimately responsible for either setting the policies (if there is no committee charged with that duty) or with bringing the ideas/thoughts to the committee.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #77
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbulldog View Post
\

Last post from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbulldog View Post
ROTFL!!
You lied to me!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #78
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
You're right it's different but meant in the same spirit - as a joke.

Judging by the number of posts you've made on this forum I think it's you who needs a break my friend.
NJBlackBerry has been a mod here for a long time... and by 'retiring', he may get that break...
Old 12-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #79
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I have given you much advice as to why companies enforce IT policies. You refuse to accept that with the response "but it is a personal device".

You don't want to listen to the administrators who explain that they are responsible to the corporate, auditors and shareholders to enforce these policies for everyone. Even those with personal devices. You refuse to accept that with the response "but it is a personal device".

I seriously wish you the best of luck.
Seriously... but since he won't listen to reason, the correct answer at this point is simply "BECAUSE I (the IT department, enforcing corporate policy) SAID SO".
Old 12-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #80
jjmach
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830

Quote:

It would make things a lot easier if people took the time to explain rather than point the policy book and just ask me to speak to the hand. No technical/security reason has been given yet as to why a personal device would pose any greater risk than a company owned device. Please enlighten me ... but be gentle
Let me explain it in a way even you will undenrstand, if you hook your personal BB into your company's BES, you will get e-mails, that may contain confidential data, if you quit or get fired, that company can't retain that BB, because it belong to you, so you could keep confidential data on your hands.

Do you want it more clear ?
Closed Thread