BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Jericho2550

Model: 8100
Default Which do you recommend, T-Mobile's Pearl or Cingular's?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone, first time poster...

so here's my issue: I got a Pearl from Cingular, and I loved it, best phone I have ever owned, but when I got it, they stuck me with a 2 year contract, something I cannot do, so I sadly returned my phone. Now I decided I'm gonna get it without a contract for around $400. My 2 choices are getting it from Cingular, or from T-Mobile then unlocking it. I compared both, and in my opinion, the T Mobile looks much nicer, so if I get the T-Mobile one and use it on my Cingular service, will it be just as good as a Cingular Pearl?

Personally I would prefer a better working phone than a better looking phone.

and how about software updates? What if I got the T-Mobile Pearl, how will I upgrade its firmware if I use it with Cingular?

thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

If you get the Tmobile one. you can use the firmware from Cingular to upgrade the OS.

What you are losing is the PTT feature (you would have to pay for that anyway) and the GPS feature in BB Maps. I have a TMobile one so I am not sure exactly how the GPS thing works.

EDIT: Sorry this was confusing. Thanks secrecyguy.

Last edited by zimbu1234; 01-21-2007 at 11:17 AM..
Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbu1234
YOU can use the firmware from Cingular to upgrade the OS.

What you are losing is the PTT feature (you would have to pay for that anyway) and the GPS feature in BB Maps. I have a TMobile one so I am not sure exactly how the GPS thing works.
You loose the GPS feature when you get a Cingular? That's interesting...
Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
secrecyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho2550

so here's my issue: I got a Pearl from Cingular, and I loved it, best phone I have ever owned, but when I got it, they stuck me with a 2 year contract, something I cannot do, so I sadly returned my phone. Now I decided I'm gonna get it without a contract for around $400. My 2 choices are getting it from Cingular, or from T-Mobile then unlocking it. I compared both, and in my opinion, the T Mobile looks much nicer, so if I get the T-Mobile one and use it on my Cingular service, will it be just as good as a Cingular Pearl?

Personally I would prefer a better working phone than a better looking phone.

and how about software updates? What if I got the T-Mobile Pearl, how will I upgrade its firmware if I use it with Cingular?

thanks
I personally will choose the T-mobile. They have better rate plans and data plans than Cingular.

Believe it or not, T-mobile ranked 2nd in most areas while Cingular ranked 3rd in most areas.

T-mobile even have the white 8100 too. But I know lots of people don't like it but I like it.

Go for T-mobile.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
Jericho2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy
I personally will choose the T-mobile. They have better rate plans and data plans than Cingular.

Believe it or not, T-mobile ranked 2nd in most areas while Cingular ranked 3rd in most areas.

T-mobile even have the white 8100 too. But I know lots of people don't like it but I like it.

Go for T-mobile.
Actually, I don't plan on switching providers, I'm happy with Cingular, if I get the T-Mobile Pear, it would be so I can use it on Cingular...
Old 01-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Jericho2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbu1234
If you get the Tmobile one. you can use the firmware from Cingular to upgrade the OS.

EDIT: Sorry this was confusing. Thanks secrecyguy.
thanks, don't care for PTT, but you're saying I just stick my Cingular SIM card into it and I'll be able to download the Cingular Firmware?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
DrMoze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

so here's my issue: I got a Pearl from Cingular, and I loved it, best phone I have ever owned, but when I got it, they stuck me with a 2 year contract, something I cannot do, so I sadly returned my phone. Now I decided I'm gonna get it without a contract for around $400.
OK, I don't understand this. First, did you not even notice the conditions when you signed up for the Cingular Pearl? They are not exactly hidden.

More importantly, what do you mean when you say you "cannot do" a 2-year contract. ???? Instead, you are going to pay $400 for a Pearl??!?!?! Do you not understand that terminating a contract early will cost much less than the $400 you're going to pay? Are you sure you're going to change carriers within 2 years? Did you maybe skip out on some math classes in high school?

I don't understand your actions at all. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
sirgolf82
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: a
Carrier: a

As far as functionality goes, same phone, same issues.

I have the TMO Pearl, and I can tell you that it is more 'black' than the Cingular Pearl, which a few of my coworkers have.

TMO's is pure black on the battery cover and also on the body of the phone. The keys are all black except for teh letters, and for the number keys, they are 1/2 black, 1/2 gray.

The Cingular pearl is a sort of 'dark gray' all over the phone. The number keys on that one are a light silver, as well as the bottom cover where the carrier logo is.

I've shown my TMO Pearl to the Cingular guys, and for sleekness factor, they seem to like the TMO one better.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze
OK, I don't understand this. First, did you not even notice the conditions when you signed up for the Cingular Pearl? They are not exactly hidden.

More importantly, what do you mean when you say you "cannot do" a 2-year contract. ???? Instead, you are going to pay $400 for a Pearl??!?!?! Do you not understand that terminating a contract early will cost much less than the $400 you're going to pay? Are you sure you're going to change carriers within 2 years? Did you maybe skip out on some math classes in high school?

Dr. - the poster did not ask for financial advice, so please refrain from providing additional high school math tutoring for the sake of being derogatory. If you don't have any constructive information or personal experience to share within the realm of the posted question, then please disregard and move on to another thread.

Thanks,
Seattle18
Old 01-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
thanks, don't care for PTT, but you're saying I just stick my Cingular SIM card into it and I'll be able to download the Cingular Firmware?

It seems like you are willing to buy the Pearl from TMobile for $400 or whatever without a contract. Are you sure They will even let you do that? I have read a few threads on here where they are saying you can't get one without a contract unless you buy through Ebay or some other illegal way.

Anyway, once you have your Pearl for TMobile, you can upgrade its OS using the upgrade that is available from Cingular.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...?highlight=.88
Old 01-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #11
Jericho2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze

what a polite way of putting it! well I guess I can lay out the details, I got the Pearl KNOWING about the 2 year contract, but a week after I got it, Apple announces the iPhone which I'm sold on cause I'm an Apple freak, so if I kept the BlackBerry, I wouldn't be eligible to get the iPhone when it comes out, so I decided to return the Pearl, but I really liked it, so I'm getting it without a contract to hold me until September or October, hopefully by then the iPhone would have all of the kinks worked out and I'd just pick one up, is that a good enough explanation?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
GregH-BBPearl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Default what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
Dr. - the poster did not ask for financial advice, so please refrain from providing additional high school math tutoring for the sake of being derogatory. If you don't have any constructive information or personal experience to share within the realm of the posted question, then please disregard and move on to another thread.

Thanks,
Seattle18
Hey Seatle, lets not be putting people down for stating the obvious. Who are you to get in the way of the help the Dr. is giving this person by letting him know how silly the question was? The poster made no sense to begin with and is talking about how he "can not do" a two year plan, but asking which pearl at $400 (t-mobile pear or cingular pearl) is better? It's a mute question to begin with. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to search or browse these here forums and find out once you unlock the pearl it is the same phone except for the look of the phone. We have also talked about in these forums that you can use other OS upgrades on different carriers so thatxxx8217;s also a mute point!
I for one completely agree with the Dr. and think this poster needs more then just a few math classes! I cannot stand people like you, Seatle. Why should we listen to you over this Dr. guy after such a backwards post anyway?
Each person has a view and in some way or another can be used as help.
I only hope you take my view and perhaps turn it in to some help you need in letting others post their view and not opening a can of worms.
Btw, if we follow your idea of how we should post then your post does nothing for anyone here either Seatle.

added after seeing the responce:
In love with the iphone? Ok whatever. Your willing to pay $400 untill sept. and then pay $600 so you can touch your pad. Strange at best.
And all this in the "BLACKBERRY" forum!

Last edited by GregH-BBPearl; 01-21-2007 at 01:00 PM..
Old 01-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
hrhenry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
what a polite way of putting it! well I guess I can lay out the details, I got the Pearl KNOWING about the 2 year contract, but a week after I got it, Apple announces the iPhone which I'm sold on cause I'm an Apple freak, so if I kept the BlackBerry, I wouldn't be eligible to get the iPhone when it comes out, so I decided to return the Pearl, but I really liked it, so I'm getting it without a contract to hold me until September or October, hopefully by then the iPhone would have all of the kinks worked out and I'd just pick one up, is that a good enough explanation?
Actually, you probably can get a decent deal on the iphone when it comes out, even if your contract isn't up. I got a Blackberry Pearl with 11 months left on my contract for 250, instead of the 400 they ask full price for. As far as the 2 year contract goes, you realize you're going to have to sign one when you get an iphone, right? Cingular is the only provider that will offer the phone, and they state up front that you need to sign a contract.

The Dr. could have perhaps been a bit more polite, but he's right. Consider your pricing options.

Rick
==
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #14
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH-BBPearl
"It's a mute question to begin with. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to search or browse these here forums and find out once you unlock the pearl it is the same phone except for the look of the phone. We have also talked about in these forums that you can use other OS upgrades on different carriers so that’s also a mute point!"

Its a 'moot' question/point. Not mute. Maybe you need to go back to grammar class.

Just kidding..a little humor for this silly thread
Old 01-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #15
Jericho2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhenry
Actually, you probably can get a decent deal on the iphone when it comes out, even if your contract isn't up. I got a Blackberry Pearl with 11 months left on my contract for 250, instead of the 400 they ask full price for. As far as the 2 year contract goes, you realize you're going to have to sign one when you get an iphone, right? Cingular is the only provider that will offer the phone, and they state up front that you need to sign a contract.

The Dr. could have perhaps been a bit more polite, but he's right. Consider your pricing options.

Rick
==
I am willing to do a 2 year contract for the iPhone, I didn't wanna do a 2 year contract for the pearl, then 6 months later, attempt to extend it for the iPhone, they wouldn't allow it....
Old 01-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #16
Jericho2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH-BBPearl
added after seeing the responce:
In love with the iphone? Ok whatever. Your willing to pay $400 untill sept. and then pay $600 so you can touch your pad. Strange at best.
And all this in the "BLACKBERRY" forum!
dude, you have issues, seriously, seek immediate attention, is it illegal on this forum to discuss other phones? I'm still new so I have no idea, did I offend you by stating the iPhone is great? you really need to take a deep breath and relaaaaaax
Old 01-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #17
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Well that explains it all, you are one of "those people" who wants the iPhone, no questions asked. You should have put that info in your initial inquiry.

My tip is this: considering the expense and all [see Dr. Moze post], why are you looking at getting a Pearl in the first place? Seems to me the better route is to get a $50 phone to tide you over until June, in which case you will have $350 "extra" to put toward the purchase of the iPhone.

Your post otherwise creates the impression that you have money to burn [$400 Pearl now, $500+ for an iPhone in Sept.]. I assume you know the iPhone will not be less $ than in June, because it won't be, at least not by that much.

If money is no object, then why would the length of a contract concern you. Assuming a $250 early termination fee, seems you can handle that, especially if you get the Pearl free with a contract.

As the Doctor says, I don't see the logic behind the math and your dilemma. Get a $50 phone and buy your iPhone in Sept.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #18
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: iFone
Carrier: AT&T™

I haven't seen the Cingular Pearl in person so I can't really say.

I'll just be biased and vote for T-Mobile
Old 01-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #19
secrecyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18

Thanks,
Seattle18
I think he was just being helpful here. I too don't understand it either.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #20
secrecyguy

Quote:
Now it make sense! Thanks for clearing that one up!