BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q20
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BT
Default Why do you still use a BlackBerry?

Please Login to Remove!

I am asked this question a lot. What is your reason?

To my mind there is no credible alternative to a BlackBerry. Its not about the brand. Its a little about the screen, a little about the apps, a little about security, but mostly about the keyboard.

99% of my phone usage is:
Reading: BBC News, LinkedIn, Maps, Browser.
Writing: BB Connect, Docs To Go.

I need to write. Laptops without desks are inconvenient, and my thumbs are incompatible with touchscreens. One significant factor is that touchscreens are optimised for new soft skin*, and even the most advanced touchscreens still fail to accurately detect the worn rough skin of my fingers**.

I want to feel the keys with my thumbs. I want immediate feedback as I type (synthetic sounds do not keep up with typing speed). I want to look only at what has been typed. I want to type with two thumbs at the same time, which means I want the device remaining balanced in my hands by gravity alone.

The best keyboard (and by extension the best phone) I have had was a BlackBerry 8800, and I am currently using a BlackBerry Classic Q20.

There is a safety benefit of keeping the input (i.e. keyboard) mutually independent of the output (i.e. screen). My phone allows me see where I am walking, and type safely, at the same time - how many touchscreens do that?

I still use a BlackBerry. What alternative is there?

* observations published by Cambridge University shows that older generations cannot use touch screens effectively.
** my touch-typed text is garbage, and I need to avoid using an iPhone X because strange things happen such as accidental email deletions!

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 05-19-2018 at 10:21 PM..
Old 05-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Why do you still use a BlackBerry?

Blackberry is not supporting the users and the apps we all use. When they give Google the control over the older BB models and do nothing to upgrade the OS so the new apps continue to load and work or work with developers to update current apps it tells users something. Google is using the android os to control marketing ads they send to users. If you read the latest user agreements Google sent it simply states they use everything and sell information on everything and you can only limit certain information. Read various forums on different phone types and you will see a trend to push users to os levels on android and apple Ios that gives users less and less control over ads. Sadly a lot of users either are clueless or don't care.
As another member said in another post. Welcome to The Terminator world. full control over everything.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just to be clear, tsac, are you saying that you use a BB because BB are giving control to Google?

It is worth noting that technologies such as Microsoft's PhotoDNA might encourage socially responsible companies to part-consolidate their user experiences. What does this say about BB PIN-to-PIN?

Long-term maintenance of 3rd-party apps is a problem no matter which platform you use. The HTC store is probably in a worse state than the BB store - leading me to suspect that HTC, Samsung, LG, and BB user groups are all equally keen to find their next app on the Google PlayStore.

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 05-20-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Old 05-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

No I'm not using BB because BB is giving control to Google. BB is simply not keeping up with the OS required to allow users to use the apps they want when they want.
Yes Google is talking control of the apps on the play store just like Apple is on their app site. my issue is why all of a sudden we have an obsolete phone and the manufacturer does not care to do any updates. to sell new phones? When a manufacturer obsoletes a phone in 4 years all it indicates is they are pushing new models. When Apple designed the I-phone with a battery that is not user replaceable it was done to sell new versions. It is estimated better that 70 percent of users will upgrade when their phone has problems like a battery that does not last long. my last replacement battery cost $5. A lot less than a new phone

my problem with the google play store is they wont even let a user download the app unless the phone meets their spec's. A lot of apps were downloaded before and tried on phones and the users found a way make them work. I suspect the new Android OS allows a lot more user info to be used by Google and the older OS did not.
The release date for the Z10 was 2013 and your Q20 was 2014 so it may be next.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:59 AM   #5
dTech
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Class
Carrier: None

People use BlackBerry for unbeatable security feature it provides, it provides the wide range of devices.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

@tsac, the iPhone reacts to a worn battery by slowing down instead of the battery not lasting as long. Some users complain about that, but it seems more sensible than overheating or crashing.

The iPhone series is a great extension to a MacBook: For a time I effectively lived in a research library silently holding sms conversations directly from my MacBook connected to a muted iPhone via bluetooth. I just think the iPhone series sucks as a stand-alone smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac
It is estimated better that 70 percent of users will upgrade when their phone has problems like a battery that does not last long. my last replacement battery cost $5. A lot less than a new phone
A lot of after-market batteries are fake with lower capacity and shorter lifespan. Those batteries can damage brand reputations. If i were a cellphone maker, I would do everything I can to ensure those fake batteries cannot be used in my phones.

That is not to say batteries should not be replaceable. HTC used to sell aftermarket batteries direct to consumers and those were very expensive - maybe that is the true price of a genuine battery? The fake copies were a lot cheaper so selling direct does not solve the problem.

I think there needs to be hardware signature so that the phone can display the make/source/age of the battery; HP do something like that for ink cartridges!

Quote:
google play store is they wont even let a user download the app unless the phone meets their spec's. A lot of apps were downloaded before and tried on phones and the users found a way make them work.
Is there scope for an Abandonware site?

Quote:
The release date for the Z10 was 2013 and your Q20 was 2014 so it may be next.
I bought the Q20 after first trying a KeyOne. I knowingly paid double the market rate of a Q20 because I do not care about the price, I do not care that its old, and I just want to type fast.

BlackBerry tried many different key designs, and they did a great job designing their upmarket keyboard (first seen on the 8800 and last seen on the Q20). Although I think the smaller 8800 proportions might be faster, this keyboard is great for me in my current role where I type at conferences and type while commuting.

As my account of the iPhone4 above shows, my need for a keyboard (and a smartphone) can change. In another chapter of my life all I really wanted was a phone with hardware GPS.

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 05-21-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

As stated the various things are all items users need to be aware of to avoid problems. I agree with dTech in that security is now and will become very critical going forward. Most phones lack security and most users don't care until they get hacked.
Battery use is also a problem and OEM batteries are available at very low cost to users The exception is most new phones do not allow the users to replace the battery and it is as I stated before, the upgrade marketing most users are dragged into.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Given China's current regulatory climate, how many US businesses are going to allow Chinese devices to connect to their sensitive corporate networks?

Just as corporate laptops are a horrible experience, everything on a business mobile would need to locked down with centrally-controlled admin and VPN logins. Those kinds of phones do not currently exist.

TCL BlackBerry might be the best available.

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 06-14-2018 at 01:27 PM..
Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Sorry but they do exist. Blackberry BES service for business offers very high security

https://us.blackberry.com/enterprise/security
Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #10
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

I read the Gartner report and RIM BlackBerry BES is still the best available, but there are concerns that TCL could weaken the package.

The concern is that TCL BlackBerry are Chinese owned, and companies ruled by Chinese laws are difficult to trust.

China has a very different set of customs, ambiguous laws, and inconsistently enforced regulations. Chinese companies are very dependent on political backing. Would you want your business data being intercepted at the handset and copied in China? How can you know that isn't already happening?

One quick glance at the Transparency International is enough to tell you that China is extremely corrupt.

https://www.transparency.org/news/fe...ons_index_2017

Corruption raises concerns for security-conscious operations. According to Chinese sources, the official number of Chinese officials 'under supervision' is over 997,000. How many should be under supervision, or dismissed?

According to Forbes, "Foreign investors also have reason to be concerned. Firms in China find that corruption can divert staff time from normal work to satisfying government officials". So there are potentially many Chinese government agents not simply looking for exploits in in TCL handsets, but having tangible influence in hardware selection and configuration.

Fixing the regulatory landscape means opening media, reducing government control, and prosecuting former party members. There is no sign of that happening in China.

For these reasons there are security concerns when using TCL handsets, but there are similar concerns when using Foxconn handsets such as Apple iPhone.

I do not transmit business decisions over any handset because services such as BES cannot fix leaky handsets. But I agree if you just want to set the bar higher than average then BES is about as good as it gets.

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 06-14-2018 at 08:55 PM..
Old 06-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #11
dTech

Model: Class
Carrier: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
As stated the various things are all items users need to be aware of to avoid problems. I agree with dTech in that security is now and will become very critical going forward. Most phones lack security and most users don't care until they get hacked.
Battery use is also a problem and OEM batteries are available at very low cost to users The exception is most new phones do not allow the users to replace the battery and it is as I stated before, the upgrade marketing most users are dragged into.
I second you, buddy.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

I like to use a holster and have used BB since the Bold days.
I prefer security over trends
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #13
tsac
BlackBerry God

Security security security. At least for the older BB phones.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:22 AM   #14
willieaames

Model: 900C
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lactobacillus View Post
Given China's current regulatory climate, how many US businesses are going to allow Chinese devices to connect to their sensitive corporate networks?

Just as corporate laptops are a horrible experience, everything on a business mobile would need to locked down with centrally-controlled admin and VPN logins. Those kinds of phones do not currently exist.

TCL BlackBerry might be the best available.
Agreed. Trump reportedly still uses an unsecured iPhone, and China and Russia are listening in
Old 11-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #15
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

cause I like a holster
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #16
tsac
BlackBerry God

ok so depending on the holster, it fits in front of the other thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	holster (2).jpg
Views:	335
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	20054
Old 01-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #17
UnaMartins

Carrier: NONE

Cause BlackBerry more comfortable and has a good value for money. Still.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #18
tsac
BlackBerry God

adding posts wont get you anything. replying to a question with something useful rather than "nice one" or " perfect" would help.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #19
tsac
BlackBerry God

Recently purchased a spare Z10 in case the one I use commits suicide. so far I have not found any other that would work or is a good size replacement. Also the cost of new phones is ridiculous
Old 02-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You keep replying to spammers :O
Closed Thread