Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
daseff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Alltel/Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I thought this would get more views here than on the handheld forum, so I'll try to make it a rant.

I'm currently on Verizon with a BB Curve. I don't really use the data much so I'm looking to change phones. But, as usual, Verizon has no good phones! They never have, and probably never will. Except for Blackberrys; but I don't use enough data to be spending an extra $30 a month. My question is: now that Verizon has acquired Alltel and will be working Alltel customers into Verizon's network, will I be able to activate an Alltel phone on my Verizon plan? From what I've heard it seems like you can, but here's the problem... I was thinking about getting the HTC Diamond. And, of course, Verizon is now requiring data plans for all smartphones released and sold after some date in November '08. But since the phone was not released through nor will it be purchased through Verizon, do you think I could activate it and use it without a data plan? I'm seriously considering switching to AT&T or T-Mobile. Better prices, phones, and options.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

Alltel recquires the data plan as well!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by daseff View Post
I'm seriously considering switching to AT&T or T-Mobile. Better prices, phones, and options.
If you do switch, make sure there's good coverage for that carrier where you live/work/etc. Better prices, phones, and options won't mean too much if you can't use them to the fullest potential!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
daseff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Alltel requires data plans too? Ah, anything for money I guess...
And both AT&T and T-Mobile have good coverage where I live, otherwise I wouldn't even consider it!
But thank you both for the information and advice!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
as usual, Verizon has no good phones!
As opposed to what carrier, and what models in specific that others have that are "good"?

Quote:
I was thinking about getting the HTC Diamond. And, of course, Verizon is now requiring data plans for all smartphones released and sold after some date in November '08. But since the phone was not released through nor will it be purchased through Verizon,
As a matter of fact, Mr Know it all......Verizon will have that phone sometime this year.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #6
daseff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRPriester View Post
As opposed to what carrier, and what models in specific that others have that are "good"?

As a matter of fact, Mr Know it all......Verizon will have that phone sometime this year.
I was referring to the fact that the Diamond would be purchased from a third party, not through Verizon. And I'm changing plans now, hence why I asked about the Alltel Diamond, because the supposed Verizon model isn't out, and if it does come out it will more than likely be dumbed down.

And about phones... I have never liked Verizon's selection. Phones that I consider "good" and am looking at are the Curve 8900, HTC Diamond, iPhone, HTC Dream (or G1). I've always like Sony Ericsson phones, Samsung sliders, and have just generally found AT&T's selection better. Not only that, using AT&T or T-Mobile would have a much broader range of options since I would be able to use an unlocked phone.

I am not a, nor did I claim to "know it all." Please keep rude comments to yourself. Thank you.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I was referring to the fact that the Diamond would be purchased from a third party, not through Verizon. And I'm changing plans now, hence why I asked about the Alltel Diamond, because the supposed Verizon model isn't out, and if it does come out it will more than likely be dumbed down.

And about phones... I have never liked Verizon's selection. Phones that I consider "good" and am looking at are the Curve 8900, HTC Diamond, iPhone, HTC Dream (or G1). I've always like Sony Ericsson phones, Samsung sliders, and have just generally found AT&T's selection better. Not only that, using AT&T or T-Mobile would have a much broader range of options since I would be able to use an unlocked phone.

I am not a, nor did I claim to "know it all." Please keep rude comments to yourself. Thank you.
People walk right by the HTC models every day like they don't even exist. I've sold one HTC Touch since it was released. I sold it last September and it was returned and that has been it. We've (VZW) got the Curve 8330, what's the difference?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
daseff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
People walk right by the HTC models every day like they don't even exist. I've sold one HTC Touch since it was released. I sold it last September and it was returned and that has been it. We've (VZW) got the Curve 8330, what's the difference?
Okay? I don't. I happen to like them. I don't see how this relates to the question that was even asked. And if you read the post before responding, you would see that I already have the Curve 8330 and am trying to get something different.

Mods: please close or delete this thread. Thank you
Old 02-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Okay? I don't. I happen to like them.
You are one of the very few
Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
Dennis C. Treadway
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
You are one of the very few
I, as many T-mobile, AT&T, and Sprint customers, dislike Verizon's selection of phones or customer service. You, like many other Verizon Reps that I talk to daily seem to like to bully other customers about their carriers. I personally have had my old verizon rep (before I switched) pity me as I switched carriers. Its pathetic what some stoop to in order to keep a customer.

If you ever happen to read the other part of this site; blackberrynews.com you will notice many things missing from the 8830 that the 8900 or even the 8350 have: wifi, gps, better screens and keyboards, better operating systems, the 8900 has a better processor and camera.

What keeps me from verizon, apart from their less than perfect coverage, is there poor customer service, their lack of a full line of quality phones for a majority of consumers, and a lack of phones to compliment their network; which btw is all they mention to have going for them besides '3G'
...There, thats my rant..
Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C. Treadway View Post

If you ever happen to read the other part of this site; blackberrynews.com you will notice many things missing from the 8830 that the 8900 or even the 8350 have: wifi, gps, better screens and keyboards, better operating systems, the 8900 has a better processor and camera.

What keeps me from verizon, apart from their less than perfect coverage, is there poor customer service, their lack of a full line of quality phones for a majority of consumers, and a lack of phones to compliment their network; which btw is all they mention to have going for them besides '3G'
...There, thats my rant..
I'll use the same "one of the few" comments towards you in regards to VZW's coverage, especially with our purchase of Alltell. Complain about it all you want, but it's rated best over and over again by any given trade publication. I remember the day the IPhone 3G was released...we had ATandT reps walking customers down to our store to cancel their service, I can't tell you how many of those customers came back within a month; they loved the phone, but got poor phone service.

You mention the other models of the Curve and World Edition not having WiFi....and sure, go ahead and insert your insult to Verizon for not having Wifi....but as a business selling phones that feature our biggest product, our EVDO Broadband Access, why would we? If the other carriers want to offer phones that have these immense capabilities, and not take advantage of it (read wasting money) then terrific. If I owned a wireless carrier and offered phones capable of the things that Blackberry, Palm, an Windows Mobile are capable of, I'm sure not going to add a feature to a phone that allows customers to not use the phone for what it's intended for.

BTW our 8830 and 8330 most certainly do have navigation, and I dont know how much nicer of a screen you would want than what the Curve offers.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
Dennis C. Treadway

Quote:
I'll use the same "one of the few" comments towards you in regards to VZW's coverage, especially with our purchase of Alltell. Complain about it all you want, but it's rated best over and over again by any given trade publication. I remember the day the IPhone 3G was released...we had ATandT reps walking customers down to our store to cancel their service, I can't tell you how many of those customers came back within a month; they loved the phone, but got poor phone service.

You mention the other models of the Curve and World Edition not having WiFi....and sure, go ahead and insert your insult to Verizon for not having Wifi....but as a business selling phones that feature our biggest product, our EVDO Broadband Access, why would we? If the other carriers want to offer phones that have these immense capabilities, and not take advantage of it (read wasting money) then terrific. If I owned a wireless carrier and offered phones capable of the things that Blackberry, Palm, an Windows Mobile are capable of, I'm sure not going to add a feature to a phone that allows customers to not use the phone for what it's intended for.

BTW our 8830 and 8330 most certainly do have navigation, and I dont know how much nicer of a screen you would want than what the Curve offers.
I'm sure that VZW has good coverage at my work, but everywhere I go, so does T-mobile, which btw has better coverage at my home without wifi over UMA. Secondly Alltel doesn't have any extra coverage in most of CA; where I work, live and play. If I decide to travel I can always roam off of a regional carrier or connect to a wifi network via UMA for calling over wifi. Btw, sprint and VZW don't have any regional carriers left to roam off of because VZW keeps buying out their competitors and divesting markets where they don't earn bring in customers (markets with 200,000 or less customers). AT&T is an easy target for poor coverage in many areas for the phones they keep pushing (I-Phone 3G, Blackberry Bold, some of their 2G phones that are becoming slower because of AT&T's weakening of 2G coverage in an effort of strengthening their 3G). And sprint is probably the second best data coverage company based on thorough coverage and speed, and yes Verizon's 3G may be the fastest data in the states which roam from off of towers, but Wifi is the Global Standard for inexpensive and quick data, and Edge is the standard for data which roams off of towers. I would rather have fast data where I use my phone (every other corner has a starbucks or other area to roam off of wifi (no need for roaming off of towers for hi speed data; evdo rev. 0, A)

I wouldn't mind the CDMA Rev. 0 data that the Curve 8330 is based off of if it had a better screen (the Curve 8900 has the same resolution as the blackberry storm that VZW keeps pushing; the one with tons of bugs that was released 6 months ahead of schedule for competition sake) the 8830 is horrible for data; the processor is way to slow and can't even keep up with CDMA Rev A. (the constant hour glass) and don't even get me started on the Storm (I had high hopes for this phone before it was released with VZW, I almost took a second look at VZW, but lost respect when such a high percentage were returned and replaced by iPhone 3G's and G1 Phones).

The reason why you don't see any of the htc models sold is because your company handicaps the features on the phone and make the name sound generic (i.e. Verizon Wireless 6900), seriously though, if you want to sell a phone to any serious business owner or individual user don't make the phone so undesirable by taking the brand name and phone name away (No mention of it being the HTC Touch is on it, only the battery or backdoor on the phone has the name HTC on it).

And personally, its Verizon employees like you that took the company as a whole from earning the JD power and Associates award for customer service 8 years in a row (owned by yours truly, T-mobile)
Old 02-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

Just a side note data plans are required by tmobile and AT&T and AT&T has the same pricing as Verizon and in some areas more expensive. Tmobile may be cheaper but if you get there 2G phones there 3G phones now have a 35 month data and unlimited text plans so any carrier requires data for BB/Smartphones! Only if you get a dumbphone on carriers can you avoid the data.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
Dennis C. Treadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangel View Post
Just a side note data plans are required by tmobile and AT&T and AT&T has the same pricing as Verizon and in some areas more expensive. Tmobile may be cheaper but if you get there 2G phones there 3G phones now have a 35 month data and unlimited text plans so any carrier requires data for BB/Smartphones! Only if you get a dumbphone on carriers can you avoid the data.
Actually I visited a T-mobile store less than a week ago and read an alternate pricing on a 1 and 2 year contract for non-data plans! I assume this is to allow for just the use of wifi on wifi enabled blackberries (all of which t-mobile offers, excluding the pearl 8100 without wifi)
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #15
Arcangel

well I used to have Tmobile and all my BB had Data plans on them once you pick a BB it sends you to the Data screen to selelct which one, maybe they changed it now tht would be a first, but I doubt it! Besides a blackberry without data , whats the point that means no push email, no IM none of the Blackberriness that makes a BB aBB so why would you want it?

Last edited by Arcangel; 02-10-2009 at 11:08 PM..
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #16
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

And personally, its Verizon employees like you that took the company as a whole from earning the JD power and Associates award for customer service 8 years in a row (owned by yours truly, T-mobile)
Not entirely true; I just viewed JD Power's website and T Mobile was number one in the "West", but not in the entire company.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #17
Dennis C. Treadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangel View Post
well I used to have Tmobile and all my BB had Data plans on them once you pick a BB it sends you to the Data screen to selelct which one, maybe they changed it now tht would be a first, but I doubt it! Besides a blackberry without data , whats the point that means no push email, no IM none of the Blackberriness that makes a BB aBB so why would you want it?
First, yes I saw the new prices with my own eyes. Second, they have changed their GPRS/EDGE (2G GSM) version of MyT-mobile to include a new interface, new features, and yes you can now get a smaller data plan (100 mb or 50 mb depending on the plan) Thirdly, you can decide to just purchase a blackberry push email without data (which btw is mediocre on most of the 1st Generation Curves, Pearls and older model blackberry's). 4th, you can use the blackberry browser with a wifi connection if your blackberry is enabled with wifi. 5th, many blackberry users I know have a limited data plan for non-push email and wifi enabled applications, and texting for the sake of the legendary blackberry keyboards (sorry blackberry storm users) 6th, I do believe IM's go off of the sms package of the phone plan. And Lastly, Blackberriness is not a word, so there!, I have dispelled all your Blackberry misconceptions you previously mentioned here!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #18
Dennis C. Treadway

Quote:
Not entirely true; I just viewed JD Power's website and T Mobile was number one in the "West", but not in the entire company.
That may be true, but what about the rest of my post?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #19
Arcangel

OOOHHH you are right I forgot about the 9.99 email add on Tmobile does! I used to have a minutes and mail plan 1000 min a month unlimited messaging and unlimited email/data 59.99 you couldn't beat that!! The problem was inside buildings there signal was weak! Blackberriness is a registered trademark or Arcangel incorporated!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #20
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
That may be true, but what about the rest of my post?
It's to late at night to read a novel.
Closed Thread