BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
twonk

Model: 7100v
Default Hello from the UK

Please Login to Remove!

Hello folks,

Just a quick note to say "Hello". I'm new blackberry 7100v from the UK. Had several smartphones before this (Nokia series 60, sony UIQ, Windows Mobile etc), but none of them come near the BB as far as email usability goes. I was amazed that the device just worked, as soon as it was switched on.

I've had a good read through the forums, and am most impressed with it all.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 05-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
asianmaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9520
Carrier: Tmobile

Hi Twonk

I'm in the UK too - doesn't seem to be that many of us...

"There is something about jumping a horse over a fence, something that makes you feel good." William Faulkner
Old 05-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Oh my. Is this to become the UK thread? Me to. With an 8700g from T-Mobile.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
twonk

Hurray for the UK thread!

I must admit, that I know of very few people over here that have BB's.

Andy
Old 05-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I think it depends who you know

I see loads of users in London on public transport, for example... Last time I was on the tube I was comparing the number of visible iPod users compared with the number of BB users in a carriage. 3x BB users inc myself. All those business types going to work in the City I suppose. 8 or 9 I could spot with iPods.

Also 'fun' to play 'spot the operator'. T-Mobile is blue, Vodafone is black, Orange is black but has their orange logo, etc...

Last edited by wibbly; 05-09-2006 at 10:29 AM..
Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
Les Armitage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly
I think it depends who you know

I see loads of users in London on public transport, for example... Last time I was on the tube I was comparing the number of visible iPod users compared with the number of BB users in a carriage. 3x BB users inc myself. All those business types going to work in the City I suppose. 8 or 9 I could spot with iPods.

Also 'fun' to play 'spot the operator'. T-Mobile is blue, Vodafone is black, Orange is black but has their orange logo, etc...
Plenty of us in the UK and as for BB's. Try the Pendalino from the north to the south any day you fancy: train full of them

Me - 8700 - Vodafone (fantastic). Everthing else is cave man stuff. What about the 17 year old goin to germany!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 AM   #7
asianmaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ah ha. I knew there were more of us. I see lots of people using BBs - Les, I know those Pendolinos well - but I don't see many using this forum. Either it means they all have great IT Support (I'm my own) or they're just a lot cleverer than I am at working things out without help (very likely). Or, of course, they could just be lurkersxxx8230;

If any of you use t-Mo, then I have another thread going about T-zones in the UK and it's not had one reply so I was feeling a bit lonelyxxx8230;

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=34408
is where you'll find it.

Nice to meet you all

"There is something about jumping a horse over a fence, something that makes you feel good." William Faulkner
Old 05-10-2006, 05:22 AM   #8
twonk

Ah well, you see I dont do trains, (barely leave the house - truth be told). which would explain why I dont see many of these things out and about.

When work said I should have a mobile phone (something I'd resisted for many years), I jokingly told the IT director that I'd have a BB, and surprisingly he agreed. I wasn't overly bothered about getting one, thinking that my personal O2 XDA Exec - (HTC Universal) running WM2005 was much more use than a BB could ever be, but oh boy, was I wrong. The universal has a better keyboard than the 7100, and it has the potential to be so good, but its lousy as a phone, it crashes, locks up, runs out of memory and needs daily reboots. The BB just works consistently without any problems. Now, if only the BB would run TomTom, I could do away with the Universal for good.

(sorry for the rant)

Andy
Old 05-10-2006, 05:59 AM   #9
Streetp

Default South East

I'm another UK User, 7100 Vodafone, Company we have just made the decision to go down this route and as I work in IT we get them first as we're meant to support them......

I like the fact that most problems we have are solved just by removing the battery and replacing it. I wish everything else were as easy.

Paul
Orpington, Kent, UK

Old 05-10-2006, 06:03 AM   #10
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

There's plenty of the UK crew up in here man, including me!!!!!

Old 05-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #11
sm1th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2

Yay, a UK thread! I don't see many UK users on this site...I guess you've all been hiding. Anyone on O2?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #12
asianmaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm on T-mo. Generally find them really helpful - and have had one or two very long calls to their help line! Only real problem can be network coverage - ironically that's lousiest where I live and work (home office) - but since I need the BB for travel - which is what I do a lot of - then that's okay.

Does anyone else find that that T-Mo coverage on the Pendolino (Manchester -London) has got diabolical lately? That's when I'm really glad of the BB - so much easier to send an email than wait for voice coverage.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #13
g1no
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

hello all

im using a 8700g on O2, had it 3 weeks now, bit let down by the lack of software available but pretty impressed with the BB so far....
Old 05-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #14
sm1th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1no
hello all

im using a 8700g on O2, had it 3 weeks now, bit let down by the lack of software available but pretty impressed with the BB so far....
Are you able to connect to the net using 3rd party apps? I'm not...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:14 AM   #15
g1no
Thumbs Must Hurt

hey sm1th,

i spoke to BB uk support, the reason i cant connect to google talk is because it supports [email address] accounts (being USA accounts). in the UK accounts are [email address] but you will receive emails sent to [email address].

So to stop the confusion above, google talk only supports American accounts opened and not British accounts, unless theres another UK user thats connected without any problems.....
Old 05-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #16
PaulPoker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: Orange
Talking another UK user....

Woohooo!

there are more BB UK Users out there. It's good to see that the things are not only taking off over here but there are people to discuss things with on here.

Just finished a Trial with Orange using the 7200 and about to get our paws on a new 8700 on the EDGE platform.. ooohhhh..... ;)

PS - am interested to see why some people post thier PIN's on here.

Last edited by PaulPoker; 05-11-2006 at 09:55 AM..
Old 05-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #17
g1no
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPoker
Woohooo!

there are more BB UK Users out there. It's good to see that the things are not only taking off over here but there are people to discuss things with on here.

Just finished a Trial with Orange using the 7200 and about to get our paws on a new 8700 on the EDGE platform.. ooohhhh..... ;)

PS - am interested to see why some people post thier PIN's on here.

paul

when u have that 8700 on EDGE you gotto do a "review"....

as for the pin posting, it gives u an option of sending messages direct from 1 BB to another.
thats how i managed to get some info from sm1th.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #18
asianmaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1no
hey sm1th,

i spoke to BB uk support, the reason i cant connect to google talk is because it supports [email address] accounts (being USA accounts). in the UK accounts are [email address] but you will receive emails sent to [email address].

So to stop the confusion above, google talk only supports American accounts opened and not British accounts, unless theres another UK user thats connected without any problems.....
THANK YOU!! That's info I've been after for a while.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #19
g1no
Thumbs Must Hurt

asianmaze

entering your name and password correct and getting a invalid user name or password reply had to p*ss someone off sometime
Old 05-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #20
PaulPoker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: Orange

yeah I can do a review no problems.

how do I use the PIN to message people then?
Closed Thread