Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
kurizma
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Default Curve Battery Drains in seconds

Please Login to Remove!

I've had 3 users actually see their battery bar go from full to empty in a matter of seconds. Reseated the battery and it takes a few seconds before the battery charging indicator turns on, indicating that it has lost all power.

All were 8300s, no memory card and fully charged and up to date OS. Has anyone else seen this? I've been searching around and haven't found anything on it.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Lecter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone Germany

Sounds like the Devil's work!!! :eek:
Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Sounds like you have the only devices doing that... first I have heard of, or seen it posted here.

Return them.

How many seconds?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Have you tried a battery from a working device, to determine if the issue is with the batteries or the devices. I would suggest swapping the batteries from a working device to a non working device and vice versa.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Pinman

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

You can contact ATT and tell them of your issue and they will send you new batteries for free as long as you are within the first 90 days...(This is the Case with T-Mobile anyways....first hand experience)...
Old 10-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
Lecter

Model: BOLD
Carrier: vodafone Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
How many seconds?
Yes, exactly how many?!!?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
kurizma

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
Yes, exactly how many?!!?
It drains in about 2-3 seconds. I've swapped out the batteries and going to see if it happens again. Will RMA if it does, but wanted to see if this was a common problem. we have about 100 Curves here and i've seen 3 of them go down.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Never heard of it. Wow. Fast drain.

And, YOU know for a fact those three batteries were FULLY charge (you observed the charge to 100% for the few hours)?

So why not just grab another fully charged battery from one of the good 97 units, place it in the questionable device and see what happens. That rule out some things.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
TBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

hey all.

i had a battery issue two days ago. i usually always plug my curve in at night when i go to bed. saturday night i didn't and just left it on my coffee table. it looked to be fully charged, if anything, maybe 4 bars. most likely fully charged though.

when i woke up in the morning, there was only 1 unread email but the battery was about to die. this is very very strange as i hardly used the curve at all the entire evening.

i dont' know what could have caused this so luckily, my friend works at tmobile and i called him up. he's never had a customer report this issue so he kindly replaced my battery with a brand new one. i proceeded to charge it to full power and left the charger in all night when i went to sleep last night.

this morning i've been texting lightly. maybe about 20 sms messages total. received about 5 emails and the battery seems to be holding a full charge still. I dont' know what could have casuse that yesterday but I will report back with the status of this new battery.

so strange because the battery never gave me any problems since i purchased the curve. anyone have thoughts on what could have shortened it's life span?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
Kevin Stanley

Model: 8800
Carrier: vodafone

We are seeing something similar in my organisation. We have just upgraded approx 100 devices to the Curve and have probably taken about 6-8 calls from users where the battery has drained in less than a day. I have mentioned this to our supplier who said they haven't heard of this.

As with other threads by replacing the battery seems to do the trick but has of these users have had the device for a good couple of weeks before reporting this issue

At least it isn't happening just here in the UK
Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
CHT

Carrier: Cingular

You might have already done this, but do select "switch application" to see which applications are running. I was using Beyond 411 searching for something via my GPS location on my 8310. I received a call, got distracted, and forgot about the application. For the next 2 days, the battery kept draining by the end of the day. Literally an hour after charging it was already going down. In the past I can get up to 4-4.5 days on a charge if there was light use. I checked my apps and discovered the Beyond 411 application had been running. Once I shut it down, battery life returned.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
ogdt68

Carrier: T-Mobile

i am having a similar problem with my 8320 battery. i charged it fully over night and within in 3 hrs, and i only used it for 10 minutes today, the batter is all the way down to 15%
Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
Snyder81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Same problem here

We have upgraded over 100 users to Curves in recent months and a few are reporting battery drainage in short periods of time, usually after the device being plugged in overnight. When I looked at the most recent device having this problem there was still an active Enterprise Activation in progress. There were just a couple categories left to activate, but I'm sure it had been that way for over a week which would certainly drain the battery due to constant radio activity.

On this particular device the user had disable Bluetooth and was using Standby mode on the device when not in use, but the battery still drained.

Has anyone else seen one of these and checked if Enterprise Activation is stuck?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
BlackBerry1229

I've had my Curve for about 10 days now. Although I have not had a drastic battery issue, it seems like my battery does not last very long (1 1/2 days stby).

Although I am constantly playing BrickBreaker, or am Online...that probably has something to do with it.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
BiggJayBK
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 243070B3
Default You need to let it sit when you get it

You guys must have been pretty excited when you got your new toys... I've had just about every Blackberry out and never had a battery issue. (knockin' on wood)

I Charge My battery for about 8 hours for the first time and after that I dont recharge the battery until its about 20-30% and I only charge it for about 3-4 hours when I'm in the office. My battery last me for about 1 1/4 days even when I watch an hour of video on it.

I spoke to a blackberry Rep a while back and he told me to only charge the phone when really neccessary.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #16
BlackBerry1229

Ok, my battery is starting to deplete very quickly. I charged it fully last night. Took it off the charger, and put it on my dresser (did not use it at all). This morning it had about 20% left. What the hell???

Today I charged it in the office for until it was at 100%, took it off, talked maybe 10-15 minutes and right now (5 hours later), the battery is at about 50%. Something is not right!

I'm taking it to T-Mobile tomorrow to exchange the battery.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #17
cmguerra77

Model: 8300
PIN: TS of Guinness
Carrier: AT&T

I've seen battery issues with all types of phones. I think it just happens to be that you were the 10% of people who got either a bad battery or phone. I would try to swap it for a new phone sooner rather than later. You don't want to keep trying different things only to find your carrier won't let you return it.

My wife and I have had our curves since Sept with no battery issues.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #18
Fkmegently
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have a similar issue. My battery only lasts a day at best and I'm not a "heavy" user. I'm currently waiting for my new battery from T-mobile.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #19
rka

Carrier: tmobile

I had that problem and it was really warm unplugged it and pluged the battery in and it fixed...my baterry only last 3 days tho on idle with lil usage.
Closed Thread