Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
Orinoko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: O2
Lightbulb Boxtone or Zenprise?

Please Login to Remove!

We are looking for a top level management software for all our BB's and *ahem* iPhones and we've been talking to both Boxtone and Zenprise.

Does anyone out there use these products and if so what are you thoughts? Either one obviously better than the other?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Cannot beat Boxtone.

I've been trying to get BoxTone for last 2 years but they are too expensive. Since BoxTone is now going to support iPhone/iPad I might have a chance to get it.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
cyclmpc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I've never used Zenprise, so I cannot comment on that, but I can comment on BoxTone.

I would wait until Jan of next year if you are going to look to BoxTone. They will fully incorporate Apple's MDM with it. You cannot beat BoxTone with it's reporting feature and asset management. To be fair, it's a bit behind with ActiveSync, but its more of a feature of AS than BT. The continous monitoring is pretty fantastic. You can configure alerts with the admin console for advance alerting. I find that BESMON alerts me a minute earlier, but you can configure BT with greater detail. I could go on, but I found it worth the money, albeit, not my money.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
AhNe

Model: 8300
Carrier: o2
Default BNator?

check out bnator.com

they also do iPhones/iPads and ActiveSync devices in general now.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
b52junebug

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..

Okay having heard of both:
Boxtone: Allows monitoring of Blackberry's, usage etc. More reactive than proactive monitoring. Has some really great graphs.

Zenprise: Really great software, however also does Exchange Mailbox monitoring. If you already have a monitoring solution for Exchange you really dont need this one. Very robust, can be pricey.

As far as a MDM solution look at Mobile Iron. They do the same sort of thing, allow you to remove apps etc. It is for all platforms. Tangoe also has a MDM solution as well. Tangoe has many other modules that you can use to monitor billing as well. Their MDM solution is up and coming.

Also you may want to look for a solution coming from Cisco. I advise you from one admin to another look at all of them and dont get to swayed by the nifty graphics, make sure it is going to do what you want it to do.
Ask your self questions

1) Like what is your main goal for the product?
2) Do you want remote control capabilities?
3) Who has the best access control for all platforms?
4) Are you trying to limit apps or control security access?
5) How much are you willing to spend? (this is a toughy, most enterprises want us to find solutions, yet so few are willing to invest the money required and think that we are magical beings that can predict the future and stop our users from Jailbreaking the devices)
6) Do you need Jailbreak notification and limitation?
7) Will it work with your email program on the other devices? Active Sync, Good, etc.
8) Pros and cons for each solution.

Remember none of these are full proof. As we continue to grow in our MDM and all of these other platforms coming out we have to adapt and be forward thinkers. So make sure which everone you choose has a known progression in this field.

I have used Zenprise and found it was really cool at actively monitoring our users, but again if you dont need a full exchange monitoring solution, you might want to investigate the other softwares.

Last edited by b52junebug; 09-14-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Old 09-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
b52junebug

oh on a side note, see if they have centerally located the Apple iPhone Configuration Utility. The IPCU will be your friend...

Last edited by b52junebug; 09-14-2010 at 06:07 PM..
Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Orinoko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: O2

Thanks for the replies, very useful!
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
b52junebug

Hey take a look at this as well:
Mobile Device Management (MDM) - Third Party Solutions

iPhone and iPad both support Mobile Device Management, giving businesses the ability to manage scaled deployments of iPhone/iPad across their organizations. These Mobile Device Management capabilities are built upon existing iOS technologies like Configuration Profiles, Over-the-Air Enrollment, and the Apple Push Notification service and can be integrated with in-house or third-party server solutions. This gives IT departments the ability to securely enroll iPhone/iPad in an enterprise environment, wirelessly configure and update settings, monitor compliance with corporate policies, and even remotely wipe or lock managed iPhone/iPad devices.

Here is a list of third party mobile device management companies (in alphabetical order):

AirWatch - AirWatch is a Web-based Solution with Multi-tenant Architecture

John Marshall
404-925-8539
[email address]

Good - Good on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

DC Cashman
415-652-1597
[email address]

Mobile Iron - iPhone Security & iPhone Management Solution | MobileIron

Mike Leigh
408-828-6885
[email address]

Sybase (SAP) - Sybase iPhone Enterprise Solutions - Mobile Device Management Application & Software - Sybase Inc

Chuck Vertrees
208-287-6111
[email address]

Tangoe - Enable the Potential of your Smartphone Infrastructure | Software

Tiffany Benson
602-570-0108
[email address]

Trust Digital (McAfee and Intel) - Enterprise Mobility Management EMM | Device Agent | Trust Digital

Sandrine Goodman
703-380-2324
[email address]

Zenprise - Zenprise

Kelly Thayer
530-277-1661
[email address]

Here is a summary of the capabilities of the iOS 4 MDM APIs (enhanced now with Query and silent OTA Management capabilities):

xxx8226; Enrollment - user authentication, certificate enrollment, device configuration
xxx8226; Configuration of settings - accounts, policies, restrictions and other settings
xxx8226; Queries - device information, network, compliance, security, applications
xxx8226; Management - remote wipe, remote lock, clear passcode, configuration/provisioning profiles

Capabilities are further outlined in this document:
http://images.apple.com/iphone/busin...iPhone_MDM.pdf
Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
b52junebug

most of these with the exception of Good will work on bb and the phones that shall not be named..
Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
jbaumann

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Other complete solutions to consider too!

Though the vendor list is extensive it really is not complete without mention of Mobile Active Defense and their Mobile Enterprise Compliance and Security Server (MECS) solution. MECS is very unique in it's ability to TRULY lock down iPhones, iPads, other smartphones and tablet devices to the extent required by a security aware and compliance regulated organization and extending existing enterprise and network security policies across mobile platforms with complete encryption, granular firewall controls and a suite of anti-virus, malware, content filtering and device management tools. Basically like a BES for the "other" smartphones.....

Recently written up in NetworkWorld, ComputerWorld and SC Magazine and now serving on the Board of Advisors to the Georgia Tech Information Security Center they are certainly a solution that needs to be considered for Enterprise Management of mobile devices.

Go to the website at mobileactivedefense.com and check out their comparison document that really sheds light on the inherent differences between the vendors, product and capabilities!
Closed Thread