colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone
Default Re: Switching from Torch back to 8900

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I switched back from the 9800 (AT&T) to the 9700 (T-Mobile). Perhaps as much for the network (I had more dropped calls on AT&T in a day than on T-Mobile in a week) and at least I can rely on UMA for areas of poor coverage.

The 9800 still needs to grow up a bit. How come I can't switch off the views I don't want? How come tapping the time ALWAYS brings up Manage Connections (which leads to connections being shut down) and I can't change that.

It needs some work. Just my .02

And I like paradigm shifts. And other trendy phrases also.
Paradigm shift is not trendy anymore, just established business language

UMA does work on the BB Torch, see here for how to enable it:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...e-handset.html

The 9700 is a great device, but I got used quickly to the bigger screen and touch shortcuts on the 9800. Touch screens do add a level of care. sometimes you if you throw a touch screen phone in your pocket unexpected options have a higher chance of getting picked if you forget to lock first.

All in all I am spoilt and can't go back. Might buy a 9300 as well to take on beach holidays as I wouldn't want to damage the 9800 (a bit more like Jewellery )

Finally, the great thing about the Torch is that IMHO BB have got the hardware for the Torch right.
You could argue for higher resolution screen or faster CPU but ultimately they are incremental rather then fundamental.
It does seem that RIM has learnt from the storms and worked out how to keep the reliable BB experience whilst adding another layer, which I think does not get in the way of the BB experience, perhaps just for a few niggles.
Now that the hardware is right, RIM can really continue to fix and enhance through firmware updates alone.

Last edited by colonel; 11-16-2010 at 04:47 AM..
Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #22
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
the Torch has a touch screen and a proper browser

sure the 8900 is easier to use as its more basic, but so is a nokia 6303i
Well put. There are still plenty of people out there who prefer that Nokia 6303 (or similar) and complain how difficult ANY smartphone is to use. The rest of us enjoy the increased productivity that comes with the advances which continue to be made in smartphones such as the BlackBerry. The capabilities of the 9800 far surpass those of the 8900, but if you really want to be stuck on the previous generation, that's your decision.
Quote:
The 9800 still needs to grow up a bit. How come I can't switch off the views I don't want? How come tapping the time ALWAYS brings up Manage Connections (which leads to connections being shut down) and I can't change that.
Agreed on the views - there continue to be tweaks which are needed within the OS, that's one of them. On the other hand, you say "How come tapping the time ALWAYS brings up Manage Connections" like that's a bad thing. Personally, I prefer that doing something ALWAYS leads to the same result. You want something random to happen? If you don't want "Manage Connections" then don't tap on the area on the screen which brings up "Manage Connections." This isn't exactly rocket science!
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Finally, the great thing about the Torch is that IMHO BB have got the hardware for the Torch right. You could argue for higher resolution screen or faster CPU but ultimately they are incremental rather then fundamental.

It does seem that RIM has learnt from the storms and worked out how to keep the reliable BB experience whilst adding another layer, which I think does not get in the way of the BB experience, perhaps just for a few niggles.
Now that the hardware is right, RIM can really continue to fix and enhance through firmware updates alone.
Agreed. As NJ says, there are little things which need improving, but those are tweaks that will come with experience with the OS. The Torch platform is a huge step forward from the 8900 I moved from, IMHO.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I could add the weight of the device as a general complaint, but that is not a surprise given the hybrid screen/keyboard design. It is comparable to a T-mobile G2 Android which doesn't nearly have the keyboard usability. And nothing beats a BlackBerry with the brillliant in holster/out holster profile. NOTHING.

I tap the Manage Connections when I take the Torch out of the holster. I switched off the mobile radio several times without noticing it until later. Not good.

But the killer for me - which forced me to go back to the 9700, was the dropped calls.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #24
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
I could add the weight of the device as a general complaint, but that is not a surprise given the hybrid screen/keyboard design. It is comparable to a T-mobile G2 Android which doesn't nearly have the keyboard usability. And nothing beats a BlackBerry with the brillliant in holster/out holster profile. NOTHING.

I tap the Manage Connections when I take the Torch out of the holster. I switched off the mobile radio several times without noticing it until later. Not good.

But the killer for me - which forced me to go back to the 9700, was the dropped calls.
funny about the dropped calls. mine is the best phone I have had for ages. Although I am comparing to android/iphone, not BB
Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
C'mon, NJ, that's a bogus argument and you know it. Dropped calls is not an issue of 9700 vs. 9800, not in the slightest. Its an issue of carrier coverage (and where you're at - AT&T has fine coverage for me, and folks around here complain about T-Mob's dropped calls.) If you want to complain about the 9800 vs. the 9700, by all means go for it - but to say the 9800 is responsible for more dropped calls than the 9700 is total BS.
Closed Thread