Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
bendycricket

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default 8320 and uma

Please Login to Remove!

ok im close 2 getting a 8320 and im getting ready 2 go overseas.i asked before if there was a charge to make calls over a wifi connection and i was told no but i should get a uma.well im not sure what that is or what i gotta do 2 get it,can yall help me out?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

some one correct me if I've got my terms confused, but:

UMA is referencing the wi-fi connection, so (in my wee brain) they are the same.
the t-mo rep told me that calls using the wi-fi will come out of my pool of minutes, just like if I was using their network. I don't know how that would translate going overseas.

I just got my 8320, upgrading from an 8100, and am loving it. I say go for it.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

If you connect to wifi/uma overseas then calls are billed exactly as if the device was on TMobile here in the states.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
skawt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmccartin View Post
some one correct me if I've got my terms confused, but:

UMA is referencing the wi-fi connection, so (in my wee brain) they are the same.
the t-mo rep told me that calls using the wi-fi will come out of my pool of minutes, just like if I was using their network. I don't know how that would translate going overseas.

I just got my 8320, upgrading from an 8100, and am loving it. I say go for it.
Actually, I've noticed that when using UMA, it does NOT use up my T-mobile minutes. Only when going over the EDGE network.

I cannot guarantee that the same would apply for overseas connectivity. Perhaps if you keep the wifi enabled and disable the mobile antenna.

Update: Confirmed. I can turn off the mobile network, leave wifi enabled, and still have UMA access. Also, I checked my bill. I have used 42 minutes, but I still have 595 out of 600 minutes left. Most of the usage minutes were UMA, therefore free.
Arthur: Look, I'm just a sidekick.

Last edited by skawt; 10-26-2008 at 05:35 PM..
Old 10-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawt View Post
Actually, I've noticed that when using UMA, it does NOT use up my T-mobile minutes. Only when going over the EDGE network.

I cannot guarantee that the same would apply for overseas connectivity. Perhaps if you keep the wifi enabled and disable the mobile antenna.

Update: Confirmed. I can turn off the mobile network, leave wifi enabled, and still have UMA access. Also, I checked my bill. I have used 42 minutes, but I still have 595 out of 600 minutes left. Most of the usage minutes were UMA, therefore free.
This is true, but it's not supposed to happen. There is some technical glitch where many people's minutes are not reduced for UMA calls. However, calls over UMA should use up minutes.

I would guess only about 10% of my UMA minutes show up. The most likely to show up are calls to voicemail or customer service. But even some voicemail checking calls don't show.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
skawt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw
Quote:

This is true, but it's not supposed to happen. There is some technical glitch where many people's minutes are not reduced for UMA calls. However, calls over UMA should use up minutes.

I would guess only about 10% of my UMA minutes show up. The most likely to show up are calls to voicemail or customer service. But even some voicemail checking calls don't show.
I'm not sure why your service would be different. My T-mobile usage definitely shows a lof of minutes tagged with a U for UMA and are not counted towards my total available minutes.
Arthur: Look, I'm just a sidekick.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

"Supposedly" if you have the H@H home plan (or whatever it's now called) you get unlimited UMA minutes. If you don't have the plan then minutes come out of your bucket. Some say they don't have the plan and don't get minutes deducted from their plan. I wouldn't count on that in all cases or in those few cases, I wouldn't plan on it lasting forever.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Crippler

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Shmobile

Quote:

.....and you dont have the Hotspot @ Home add-on?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
RCA

Model: 9850
Carrier: Sprint

Correct. I have the same glitch. I don't subscribe to @home and all of my UMA calls don't get deducted at all. The calls don't even show on my usage report when I log into my account. And it doesn't matter if it's weekend, weeknight, or during the day.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Exactly. I'd consider it a nice "glitch."
Old 10-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Crippler

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Shmobile

well i'll be getting a curve with my handset upgrade discount next month. i'll hope for the "glitch" too. lol. i was already sold on it, so this would be a bonus. w00t.
Closed Thread