Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t
Default More restrictive application permission = software hard reset

Please Login to Remove!

Much lamented is the inability of the Pearl (and the 7130c/g, for that matter) to be hard reset without pulling the battery.

I just discovered that if you edit an application's permissions (e.g., by going to options>>advanced>>applications>> and selecting edit permissions from the menu) so as to make them more restrictive, the device prompts the user to do a hard reset (and actually forces a hard reset after 5 such prompts). So, the application permission settings can be used to force a hard reset without pulling the battery.

This is all too much of a pain in the ass to go through, but I was wondering whether it would be possible to write a small application that could automatically change its permissions so as to allow an easy and quick method for a hard reset. There are at least 15 permission settings that can be changed, and so the application could allow for 15 hard resets before the application's permissions could be restored to the default, thus allowing another 15 hard resets.

Possible? Doable? Bueller?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
stac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster
Much lamented is the inability of the Pearl (and the 7130c/g, for that matter) to be hard reset without pulling the battery.

I just discovered that if you edit an application's permissions (e.g., by going to options>>advanced>>applications>> and selecting edit permissions from the menu) so as to make them more restrictive, the device prompts the user to do a hard reset (and actually forces a hard reset after 5 such prompts). So, the application permission settings can be used to force a hard reset without pulling the battery.

This is all too much of a pain in the ass to go through, but I was wondering whether it would be possible to write a small application that could automatically change its permissions so as to allow an easy and quick method for a hard reset. There are at least 15 permission settings that can be changed, and so the application could allow for 15 hard resets before the application's permissions could be restored to the default, thus allowing another 15 hard resets.

Possible? Doable? Bueller?
Not really sure I understand... I changed the permissions on an app (berricons) a few times and that didn't seem to prompt me to reboot my phone. I don't know how many admins, or users, for that matter, really feel comfortable changing app permissions, or running an unsigned app that would do that either... I, like you, am in a quandry about rebooting my phone... I want to be able to do it easily and quickly... but I don't think your method is very palatable...

Stac

'This one goes to eleven...'
Closed Thread