Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
mdaoudi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Angry Storm2 - Issue with Bottom keys - Verizon tweaking

Please Login to Remove!

hello
i have been experiencing this issue with my storm where the dial , end call, escape , menu keys are not responsive. it takes a few seconds and a few retries for them to start working.
very very annoying.

so yesterday went to verizon store to see if i get a new one. the vzw support guy said not need, i have this tool that blackberry gave us to tweak on the sensitivity of the sensors under the screen. is this accurate? because what he did ... did not help at all.

is the only fix to this issue to get a new one?
thanks
Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Murphy5111
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

You could try bit I don't know if a new one will fix it. Its pretty weird. Sometimes I can't press them with mt finger but can with my thumb. Sometimes it seems like they are asleep and once I press them the first press is difficult but then they "wake up.". It seems almost random sometimes
Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
kevinalt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

I ended up calling tech support and they mailed me a new one and I sent mine back. This one is a lot better but still have some issues, but not as bad.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
TylerBoneZJoneZ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: INK
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Somtimes I cant even click mine the screen wont even push down like usually it clicks but sometimes it wont even click no matter how hard you push it...... its like the screen is locked up or something...
Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2

I had this but figured it out. Its possible that you are touching some area on the screen and its locking out other clicks at the moment. Whenever this happens, I make sure I'm not touching the side of the screen at all and then it clicks fine.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
w3n.jember
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
Carrier: Telkomsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerBoneZJoneZ View Post
Somtimes I cant even click mine the screen wont even push down like usually it clicks but sometimes it wont even click no matter how hard you push it...... its like the screen is locked up or something...
I'm having the same problem

anyone know how to fix that, help plz
Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Merrell

I stumbled onto this.. as I was about to take my storm II back to the verizon store regarding the periodic inability to press the buttons on the bottom. Im still under my 30 days, and it is becoming irritating.

Any update on a solution? Is it a bad hardware design?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
deej
Thumbs Must Hurt

the 4 buttons on the bottom have been giving me some grief here and there too, I will follow this thread and see what happens. ;)

Think of your three closest friends. If they seem normal
you're the one!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

I am also having this issue. Though I still can't decide if it is a hardware issue or a software issue, or hell, a combination of both... I am starting more and more to think it is a software issue. One of the things you will notice, is that when it is starting up, on the BlackBerry screen with the progress bar at the bottom, you can press any part of the screen with ease. Why? The software locking out clicks isn't loaded at that point. You might argue that the screen is simply 'fully unlocked' and loose but you will notice that if you cover your finger with a thick sweater or something else that prevents the screen from reading your finger, you won't be able to press down. So the core logic of the touchscreen is up, just not the software component that controls when it is allowed to be pressed down.

I'm not saying there isn't hardware issues involved (knowing RIM there probably) is, but it seems that software plays a large component. Also why sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and why a battery pull frees up the stuck buttons.

What is KEY is that we continue to educate each other with our experiences, so we can get new units from VZW asap if that is the cure... It astounds me and outrages me as to how poor RIM's QA must to let an error this big get through. Though at the same time, I am not really surprised.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
the maddman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: 3312e4fc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrell View Post
I stumbled onto this.. as I was about to take my storm II back to the verizon store regarding the periodic inability to press the buttons on the bottom. Im still under my 30 days, and it is becoming irritating.

Any update on a solution? Is it a bad hardware design?
I've already replaced two Storm2's for this issue. Same symptoms, screen clicks fine while loading, once it's fully started the bottom of the screen gets extremely hard to click. The replacements have worked fine, so I'm going with it's defective phones.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #11
PaulQ

(hand raised)

Same problem here. Periodically unable to press the keys. I am able to wait a few seconds and it works, though. Still annoying and not normal.

<><><><><><><><><><><><> Life after Pearl is Curved... then there's a STORM!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
sbbytor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yep same problem here too. In fact I'm on my 2nd Storm 2 because of this but it seems like if you wait a second the issue goes away.

I'm hoping the new firmware update coming out on the 12th addresses this issue.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: ATT

very annoying!

Yes my 9550 at times becomes un usable - I can't type anything - when I try to it reverts to the home screen. Is it perhaps the settings under screen/keyboard?

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
PaulQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
very annoying!

Yes my 9550 at times becomes un usable - I can't type anything - when I try to it reverts to the home screen. Is it perhaps the settings under screen/keyboard?

Can anyone confirm this?
I don't know about reverting to the home screen per se but it looks like the frozen screen issue is resolved with the next OS update (coming soon).

<><><><><><><><><><><><> Life after Pearl is Curved... then there's a STORM!
Closed Thread