Old 11-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
sz3wp7

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default How do I: Installing apps to SD card

Please Login to Remove!

Hey,

I've recently gotten a BOLD 9000, I've put in the miniSD card and it is enabled. How do I install apps to the card instead of the device?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You can't.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Only music, pictures and ringtones on the SD card.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

That's why it's called a media card.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
TTsoldier
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2168B71A
Carrier: bmobile

Looks like the need to develop an app card...

*rimshot*

!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
sz3wp7

Model: Bold

Well that's just stupid...

I was able to do it on my last phone, no problem.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I take it your last phone was not a BlackBerry.

It's not stupid, it's done for security. You know what BlackBerry devices are known for.

This is a classic example of not doing enough research on a product prior to making a purchase.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

You might want to look into Aerize Card Loader.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
jimmyh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Default Media card problems on Bold

THE SERVER INDICATES YOU EITHER HAVE INSUFFICIENT ACCESS RIGHTS OR THE FILE IS TOO LARGE FOR THE REQUESTED OPERATION.....This is the message I receive each time I try to view a picture or document from the media card. I have formatted once and lost everything that was on the card. PC will not reconize the card. ANY SUGGESTIONS....???

I have a Bold 9000 running OS 5.0.0.314 on AT&T service. It may be the new OS because I have noticed a memory drain also. Has anyone else had these problems that may be on the .314 OS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Pete777
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz3wp7 View Post
Well that's just stupid...

I was able to do it on my last phone, no problem.
Brother, I feel your pain. I had a Treo and a Blackjack before I went to a Bold 9000 and was able to load apps on the SD cards for those others. The security thing was explained to me by a fellow user, but I still don't understand why RIM cannot make it a user switchable function.

i.e.: If you access an enterprise server regularly for your job, then you would want high security and maybe there's a way the IT crew can set that up and lock it into your phone. However if you're an individual user or a sole-proprietor, you can have it unlocked to utilize the SD card for applications.

The other thing that doesn't make sense is that BBerry launched their App Store with great fanfare a few months ago, but with only 128 MB of device memory allocated, I don't see buying too many of their apps.

Someone above mentioned Aerize Card Loader. I installed that to my device and it works great. The only thing is in order for it to load to the SD card, you have to download & install applications OTA. The Desktop Manager will not access the SD card at all - not even with Aerize loaded on the phone.

However, for $9.95 Aerize is worth it. Check it out.

Pete

Last edited by Pete777; 11-09-2009 at 10:46 PM..
Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Pete777

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
THE SERVER INDICATES YOU EITHER HAVE INSUFFICIENT ACCESS RIGHTS OR THE FILE IS TOO LARGE FOR THE REQUESTED OPERATION.....This is the message I receive each time I try to view a picture or document from the media card. I have formatted once and lost everything that was on the card. PC will not reconize the card. ANY SUGGESTIONS....???

I have a Bold 9000 running OS 5.0.0.314 on AT&T service. It may be the new OS because I have noticed a memory drain also. Has anyone else had these problems that may be on the .314 OS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance...
I'm still getting familiar with the different models and OS versions, but it seems to me that OS 5 is reserved for the Bold 9700 and the Storm. If you're using a 9000, you may want to try rolling back to version 4.6.0.297.

Pete
Old 11-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
kgrehm

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Why would you buy a $500 phone to download 3 apps waste of my money
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
jamesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete777 View Post
Someone above mentioned Aerize Card Loader. I installed that to my device and it works great. The only thing is in order for it to load to the SD card, you have to download & install applications OTA. The Desktop Manager will not access the SD card at all - not even with Aerize loaded on the phone.

However, for $9.95 Aerize is worth it. Check it out.
Pete
Pete, i bought and installed Aerize and it seems to have only installed one app on the SD card, and none of the others that i downloaded and installed OTA when Aerize was already running. I read in the instructions that you need to un-install and re-install apps in order to have them go to the SD card with Aerize, but I would have assumed that all apps would automatically be installed on the SD card if Aerize is running already and you install them OTA. There are not options I can find that let you select where the apps get installed when Aerize is running, i.e. either SD or System.
Any suggestions for where i'm going wrong?
Thanks James.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrehm View Post
Why would you buy a $500 phone to download 3 apps waste of my money
Trolling for dollars. I have over a dozen apps loaded with no problem. It's not that hard.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
I take it your last phone was not a BlackBerry.

It's not stupid, it's done for security. You know what BlackBerry devices are known for.

This is a classic example of not doing enough research on a product prior to making a purchase.
Don't know about the security aspect, but if you put applications on the SD card, because of the way applications tie into the Java virtual machine, you would have to reboot the device any time it wasn't available to the JVM (removed, mounted to the PC via USB).

App developers (and I include RIM in this) need to realize that you don't need a 1.4MB app to access Facebook.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #16
Pete777

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesk View Post
Pete, i bought and installed Aerize and it seems to have only installed one app on the SD card, and none of the others that i downloaded and installed OTA when Aerize was already running. I read in the instructions that you need to un-install and re-install apps in order to have them go to the SD card with Aerize, but I would have assumed that all apps would automatically be installed on the SD card if Aerize is running already and you install them OTA. There are not options I can find that let you select where the apps get installed when Aerize is running, i.e. either SD or System.
Any suggestions for where i'm going wrong?
Thanks James.
James,
You're correct in that you have to uninstall any apps that were previously loaded into the device memory area, then re-install them OTA from where ever you originally downloaded them. When you reach the download link for a program, wait a second or two and the "Download to SD card" prompt should trigger. At that point you can start your download. If you don't see that, try doing a hard reboot (battery pull) and give it another shot.

Something I noticed was after I upgraded my device OS for ATT, I noticed that Aerize did not function correctly - initially. After emailing Tech Support at Aerize, they told me that when the OS is upgraded, the program may not run correctly. However, the next day it suddenly started working again.

One thing I did notice from the start is that the option to load to SD card will not trigger when downloading from Blackberry App World through the mobile launcher. Actually, BB App World just starts the download automatically to your device without intervention from Aerize Card loader. I figure that's because RIM would rather you did not load apps to the SD card. So I avoid buying from BB App World and buy from a third party vendor like CB, the store at this web site, Handango or MobiHand.

Hope that helps
Pete

Last edited by Pete777; 01-10-2010 at 10:54 PM..
Old 01-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #17
jamesk

Pete,
Thanks for the info. My 9700 came from ATT with OS 5.0 and the Aerize has never shown the "load to SD card" prompt, and i've bought apps from all the sources you listed. I've also tried un-installing apps and re-installing them OTA like you said, and only some, very few go to the SD card, but randomly and without any chance for me to pick or choose. I do have the install to SD card option enabled...

I have also done battery pulls (using apps like Quick Pull) a number of times since, but that has not fixed the Aerize problem.
I will contact Aerize to see if they have any ideas or an ETA on an updated version.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #18
Mr Morden

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizion
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
You can't.
while they better figure out a way ASAP if they expect to compete with Apple and Google
Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Its unlikely to happen.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #20
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Morden View Post
while they better figure out a way ASAP if they expect to compete with Apple and Google
Apple doesn't even support media cards. I don't know if Google allows apps to be installed to the card. The only phone I know that did it was the old Palm Treos, and they sucked with or without this feature. With the amount of internal memory in modern BlackBerrys you really can install a lot of apps with no trouble.

If you're looking to install about a bazillion apps for multimedia and such, BlackBerry really isn't for you. But it you're a serious business user, or if you're primary focus is communications, you probably don't want a bazillion apps.
Closed Thread