BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
ksc6000
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Travelling to canada, thinking of unlocking my phone and getting a sim card

Please Login to Remove!

Hello fellow BB'ers.

I go to Canada (Mississauga, Ontario), one weekend a month. I live in the US, and I have tmobile with a BB 8100 pearl.

Since tmo charges me 49cents to even recieve a call (I don't even have to pick it up), while I'm in canada, and the charges I would get from people sending me BB messenger messages for international data usage, i just turned off my phone completely for the entire weekend.

And I'm sure as a lot of you can understand, it was excrutiating to not have my wonderful pearl with me, working.

So I was thinking of getting a SIM card from Rogers to put into my pearl for when I go to canada after unlocking it.

After 2 hours of searching online, I'm pretty disappointed with the choices! I was expecting something more economical, but supposedly those offerings *are* ! The cheapest I found was Canada SIM Card SIM card for 50 dollars and, with .40 cents per minute airtime plan. It's not the cheapest numerically, but it lasts 6 months at least, whereas other carriers seem to only do for 30 days! Which would mean I pay the "top up" price every month since I only go once a month.

Not only that, *none* of the sim card offerings i found allow GPRS data services! I desperately need my BB messenger at least.

I'm hoping that one of you clever BB'ers who travels to canada may have found a better solution?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
olly666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksc6000 View Post
Hello fellow BB'ers.

I go to Canada (Mississauga, Ontario), one weekend a month. I live in the US, and I have tmobile with a BB 8100 pearl.

Since tmo charges me 49cents to even recieve a call (I don't even have to pick it up), while I'm in canada, and the charges I would get from people sending me BB messenger messages for international data usage, i just turned off my phone completely for the entire weekend.

And I'm sure as a lot of you can understand, it was excrutiating to not have my wonderful pearl with me, working.

So I was thinking of getting a SIM card from Rogers to put into my pearl for when I go to canada after unlocking it.

After 2 hours of searching online, I'm pretty disappointed with the choices! I was expecting something more economical, but supposedly those offerings *are* ! The cheapest I found was Canada SIM Card SIM card for 50 dollars and, with .40 cents per minute airtime plan. It's not the cheapest numerically, but it lasts 6 months at least, whereas other carriers seem to only do for 30 days! Which would mean I pay the "top up" price every month since I only go once a month.

Not only that, *none* of the sim card offerings i found allow GPRS data services! I desperately need my BB messenger at least.

I'm hoping that one of you clever BB'ers who travels to canada may have found a better solution?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Canada is very expensive for BlackBerry usage compared to the US. Do you have the international calling+bb plan with T-Mobile? (if not, look into it...)

I use a local SIM when I travel to Europe for calls and then switch back to my TMO card for data. It's a little annoying, but it works for me.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
ErnieH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Rogers

Would you consider two phones?

Keep your T-Mobile Pearl but just use it for data (which won't cost much roaming). Get a second unlocked phone, Canadian SIM and prepaid minutes. I think Rogers has a decent price per minute and 1 year expiry if you take $100 increments. Don't think the SIM will cost too much either if you get it with the $100 prepaid.

I'm based in Canada and that's how I travel in the US and other countries.
Closed Thread