CMatthews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: ??????
Carrier: Verizon 9630, 9650, 9550/AT&T 9000, 9700, 9800

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsands View Post
It looks like everything that you are doing is with Desktop Manager...

what about us Mac users that want to get rid of the stupid att theme and the locked preloaded pictures.

I was able to delete the sample video without any problem, but the themes and the preloaded pics are annoying.

any advice??
I got rid of all the useless files on my Curve with my Mac Pro by using VMware Fusion running Vista, worked like a charm.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #362
MrSauga

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers
Default Great Job! ....... however....

Once upon a time I found a silver dollar in my washing machine under my freshly laundered clothes. Therefore I deduced " Doing laundry can be extremely profitable! " So.......I frantically began doing more and more washes, used more and more detergent and discarded many many items where the thread began to fall out. Would more money be found?? I'm not convinced. I have since deduced that "Doing laundry SOMETIMES is profitable." The older I get, the wiser I get. Ain't life grand? Oh Yeah !
Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #363
openlate

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus

John, thanks a bunch for this. Great help.
Question though.

I have the 8130 with Telus in Canada.
After doing what you mentioned, and even deleting VAD, I only have 17-18 MB free. I have looked, I have a few apps installed that are large, Opera Mini, Facebook, Jive Talk, BB Maps.

I don't have a lot of contacts or messages. When I load the phone with DM, says its loading about 34MB of stuff when updating, plus give or take a few MBs of my apps and databases (which are 700KB, btw.)

Any idea what else is there that is taking up so much?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #364
mjgs1971
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Globe Telecoms - PH

Hi everyone.

For my 1st post, I really would like to thank John for this. My BB8800 now boast of 33MB free memory from 14MB previously. First, I had trouble saving the .alx file, then this thread also gave me the solution (I'm on Vista)

You've helped a lot of people here John. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #365
supe12xj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT & T

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020: BlackBerry8320/4.3.1.27 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I believe this has been addressed in this thread already but its a problem with your edited blackberry.alx. Reinstall the OS and edit it again. Don't use notepad to edit. Edit with Wordpad, at least.

If you saved an original .alx use that. Otherwise, reinstall the OS.
Hi John.

I am having a same problem. I re-installed OS several time already, and edited with wordpad. And still having a same problem. I use 8300 AT&T and tried to install newest OS. I ve read your step #4 numerous time, and i still cant figure it out. What am i doing wrong?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #366
drstefano

Carrier: t-mobile

Hi, John- I got through step 4 including adding BBmaps, and tried the Application Loader at that point.

Every time, I get the error message:

The application "Browser" cannot be loaded, because it requires the following applications that are not available: net.rim.blackberry.xml

Am I doing something wrong?
thanks,
Steven
Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #367
Jayden0606

Model: 8310
PIN: Options > Status
Carrier: AT&T Mobility - 8310/personal 8100/business
Question

If I so happened not to know about this thread until I installed everything, Is it too late or can a restore do the trick?

Last edited by Jayden0606; 03-21-2008 at 01:09 PM..
Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #368
mizditz101
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhne
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstefano View Post
Hi, John- I got through step 4 including adding BBmaps, and tried the Application Loader at that point.

Every time, I get the error message:

The application "Browser" cannot be loaded, because it requires the following applications that are not available: net.rim.blackberry.xml

Am I doing something wrong?
thanks,
Steven
Go back to your Blacberry.alx file and make sure you deleted the VendorID codes properly, and got them all. Mine did the same thing when I ran through this thread because instead of deleting the whole "_vendorID="xxx"" I just deleted the quotes and the numbers.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 PM   #369
drstefano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizditz101 View Post
Go back to your Blacberry.alx file and make sure you deleted the VendorID codes properly, and got them all. Mine did the same thing when I ran through this thread because instead of deleting the whole "_vendorID="xxx"" I just deleted the quotes and the numbers.
Thanks, ditz-- I'll check. I ran through it twice but it's such a tricky operation that it's very likely that I missed something

--Steven
Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #370
mizditz101

Did you just scroll, or did you do the Find: "___" thing? That's how I ended up having to do it so I didn't miss anything lol
Old 03-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #371
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: z10

i've read through all the pages looking at the few people who had the browser error with the app loader and getting the net.rim.blackberry.xml error... i read the responses and tried every one of them

i've reinstalled the os... nothing
reinstalled desktop manager... nothing
reinstalled the os twice or more and deleted the vendor file every single time and opening up blackberry.alx and deleting every vendorID i saw with the quotes and numbers as instructed... (i had done it before with a previous OS and it worked perfectly)

the only difference this time i can think of is i'm doing it with the one with asian text support 8320CJK_PBr4[1].2.2_rel338_PL2.5.0.40_A4.2.2.184_SingTel.

i'm gonna reboot my computer now and try the app loader again but i've done that several times as well. any suggestions?

also, why the heck does it say that i still have app loader running in the background when it's not... it keeps giving me that error during reinstalls of the OS or the desktop manager
Old 03-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #372
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I believe that errors arises from mis-editing the blackberry.alx files, happened to me recently. I reinstalled the new OS, re-edited my blackberry.alx, and all was fine.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #373
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I believe that errors arises from mis-editing the blackberry.alx files, happened to me recently. I reinstalled the new OS, re-edited my blackberry.alx, and all was fine.
yep, that's what i kept reading... and i've done it again and again... i open it with word pad, use the find feature to looking for vendorID and delete all that i'm supposed to. i do this until i get to the bottom of the text with nothing left. then i click the save button. it warns me that i'm about to save it and something about text format and i just click ok and that's it

run the app loader and error again and again
Old 03-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #374
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

i removed the os from the computer, reinstalled the os and went through the steps again... and i'm still getting this net.rim.blackberry error

i'm only deleting the vendorid and the numbers and the quotes... also the underscore in front of vendorid also the space in front of that as well

what is always weird is as i'm going down the code and deleting, i get near the bottom half and the font is different on the code. somewhere around the GPRS stuff. but i still delete the vendorid part per instructions.

some parts of this java 1.0 thing which i leave alone since it's before the vendorid stuff.

what can i be missing? should i just wipe the phone and install this OS?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #375
drstefano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizditz101 View Post
Did you just scroll, or did you do the Find: "___" thing? That's how I ended up having to do it so I didn't miss anything lol
I did the Find thing, and after each occurrence, hit "Find Next" but that doesn't mean that I actually deleted them properly. I could easily have made a mistake, deleting too much or too little from one or more entries.

Did you get the exact same error message that I got?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #376
drstefano

Well, at least I feel a little less stupid, seeing how many of you have run into the same message. I've also installed and uninstalled the OS a few times.

I'm hoping that I won't have to do it many more times.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #377
nova609

Model: 8300
Carrier: Att

JOHN, where are you...Please help us with this issue!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #378
drstefano

Default GOT IT! Removed the Browser error

Of course, now that I got it after a number of frustrating tries, it's simple (but not easy). Just follow John's instructions exactly.

I was deleting too much. Only take out this much (example):
_vendorID="100"

Delete everything from _ through 100" but LEAVE IN THE >

Once I got it, the upload went through the first time.

Last edited by drstefano; 03-21-2008 at 12:54 PM..
Old 03-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #379
Jayden0606

Model: 8310
PIN: Options > Status
Carrier: AT&T Mobility - 8310/personal 8100/business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden0606 View Post
If I so happened not to know about this thread until I installed everything, Is it too late or can a restore do the trick?
anyone?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #380
mizditz101

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstefano View Post
Of course, now that I got it after a number of frustrating tries, it's simple (but not easy). Just follow John's instructions exactly.

I was deleting too much. Only take out this much (example):
_vendorID="100"

Delete everything from _ through 100" but LEAVE IN THE >

Once I got it, the upload went through the first time.
Yupp, that > would do it.
Think of it as HTML (if you know HTML coding) If you try to put in a break (< b r >) and leave out the > (and of course the spaces for real)... it's not going to work. It's an un-finished code :P

Glad you got it working, however! It does get frustrating when you have to do it 3-4x to get it to work