Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
f!ver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280
Carrier: Cingular
Default IRC for BB Forum?

Please Login to Remove!

If you do not have an IRC channel...I really think it would be popular for this site...if there is can someone give me the server address and room name? Thanks
Old 05-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

No, there is not an official IRC channel for BlackBerry Forums. I think at some point in time, one of the member mentioned something about setting a channel up. Try searching the forum, but no gaurentee that the channel is still up.

I dont know how well an IRC channel would work for this site. I think a lot of the members are accessing the site from work. Any security minded company is not going to allow access to an IRC channel through their firewall.

PS- Moving this post to the Site Suggestions forum.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
f!ver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280
Carrier: Cingular

We have a sonicwall firewall and I get on IRC all day..plus its supported in Opera browser.

Also jmirc is a cliet for BB's to access and chat in IRC...I heard its a great program....was just an idea..I really think it would be usefull..we have ALOT of members here...and being able to give advice and get help in real time would be a great addition to the forums. Whoever owns this site should really consider it I think.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Not knocking your idea down, but what makes you think that you would get any more real time than you do here. I for one monitor this forum and would not have the opportunity to monitor this and IRC at the same time. Besides I agree with Doug, there would be many companies (specially any that are worth their salt) that would restrict access to IRC channels and chatting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f!ver
We have a sonicwall firewall and I get on IRC all day..plus its supported in Opera browser.

Also jmirc is a cliet for BB's to access and chat in IRC...I heard its a great program....was just an idea..I really think it would be usefull..we have ALOT of members here...and being able to give advice and get help in real time would be a great addition to the forums. Whoever owns this site should really consider it I think.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
I dont know how well an IRC channel would work for this site. I think a lot of the members are accessing the site from work. Any security minded company is not going to allow access to an IRC channel through their firewall.

PS- Moving this post to the Site Suggestions forum.

I work at a large.... nay THE largest "computer" company in the world (software+services+hardware+research+consulting).. ... that's the most I can say... I'm sure you've figured it out by now. AND I happen to be a security consultant. We leave IRC open outbound. A truely security minded company would use proper IDS/IPS signatures rather than arbitrarily blocking ports in a feeble attempt to defend against worms. Please remember, FAR more often worms are propogated via SMTP and are controlled via encapsulated HTTP. After all, how hard is it to run an IRC server on 666[7-9] or even 80?
Closed Thread