Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
chrisxtremes
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Leather
Default Need help!! Newbie.. Sorry if it's a stupid question

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys, I just purchased my 9000 today. There will be funny, weird, stupid questions. Hope U guys could bear with it and aid me so that I can fully utilize the phone. Thanks.

1st of all, I'm using mac OSX. And when I run the software given, it just don't run. What can I do to sync my documents, contacts and calenders from my com to my phone? The bluetooth can't send files and browse from the pc itself. I tried downloading "blackberry for mac" software, but when I plug my phone to the pc, where should I transfer the files to? I'm confused

Next, how do I set the email address in the phone to get my emails automatically? This might be very general, but I'm not a technical person U see. haha

This question might tick some of U guys, but I just want to ensure that I do not miss out anything from the BB features programmed for us. What are the features/ application use in BB that makes U buy the phone?

About BB messenger, how does it work? is it like msn messenger where I can add email addresses and chat on the go?

I heard BB can send free sms to other BB phones, how do I enable this feature from my phone? How do I know who in my contacts owns a BB?

I really hope U guys could help me out of my quories. Thank you very much.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Ateam

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon
Default Nub

Welcome nub I am right there with you I just got my first bb and have asked ... Well just one question but every one seems to take the most basic ones nicely and help full. Good luck
Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
bkeen

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Chris,

Lets start off with BB Messenger. BB Messenger works just like any SMS/IM service. The one nice thing about BB Messenger is you are not limited to the 160 characters like you are with SMS. You can even send attachments to your contacts. The first you will need to do to get the PIN of the people you want to add. The PIN is found by going into Options>Status. Once you get that, you can add them.

As far as BB features, there are a bunch of Apps out for the BB. The best this to do is just check the forums here, there is a bunch of good information on apps (some free, some not free) that you can put on your BB.

Email set up is pretty straight forward. If you go into the menu, you should see "Set up" under that you should see "Setup Email" and that will walk you trough it or you can go to your carrier's BIS site. I know for Verizon it is blackberry.net/go/vzw. Your carrier can then hook you up with a UserID and Password for their BIS and you can add and control emails that are attached to your screen.

Lastly, I am no Mac guy at all, I've worked in a PC environment so I don't know if this will help, but if you go into BB Desktop Manager, you'll need to go into the Sync menu and select exactly what you want to sync and where BB Desktop should pull the information from. Once you have that set up, you should be able to plug in your phone and rock and roll.

Hopefully, some of this information is helpful to you and welcome to BB.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
nitu

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisxtremes View Post
Hi guys, I just purchased my 9000 today. There will be funny, weird, stupid questions. Hope U guys could bear with it and aid me so that I can fully utilize the phone. Thanks.

1st of all, I'm using mac OSX. And when I run the software given, it just don't run. What can I do to sync my documents, contacts and calenders from my com to my phone? The bluetooth can't send files and browse from the pc itself. I tried downloading "blackberry for mac" software, but when I plug my phone to the pc, where should I transfer the files to? I'm confused

Next, how do I set the email address in the phone to get my emails automatically? This might be very general, but I'm not a technical person U see. haha

This question might tick some of U guys, but I just want to ensure that I do not miss out anything from the BB features programmed for us. What are the features/ application use in BB that makes U buy the phone?

About BB messenger, how does it work? is it like msn messenger where I can add email addresses and chat on the go?

I heard BB can send free sms to other BB phones, how do I enable this feature from my phone? How do I know who in my contacts owns a BB?

I really hope U guys could help me out of my quories. Thank you very much.
for the 1st question: you have to donwload and install the latest driver fro blackberry's website, after installing the software and restarting.
it works like a charm for me. to send files to the you have to enable "bluetooth sharing" in the sharing pane of preferences.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
chrisxtremes

Model: 9000
Carrier: Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeen View Post
Chris,

Lets start off with BB Messenger. BB Messenger works just like any SMS/IM service. The one nice thing about BB Messenger is you are not limited to the 160 characters like you are with SMS. You can even send attachments to your contacts. The first you will need to do to get the PIN of the people you want to add. The PIN is found by going into Options>Status. Once you get that, you can add them.
Thanks! It sure help. Does this mean that I can only have these services if I have friends who have BB also? In other words, it doesn't work for other phones right? Is there any function that can detect which of my friends are using BB? I myself are not sure what my friends are using.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
cupcake of bahrain

Model: 8900
Carrier: Zain Bahrain

There is no desktop Blackberry CD for Mac OS. So you will need to go on the net and download pocketmac to be able to sync your BB with your Mac.

Blackberry need to release a MAC version soon orelse us Mac guys will eventually move over to the iPhone... NOT
Closed Thread