Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
MIIGHT

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: moblicity
Default Blackberry without data but with wifi

Please Login to Remove!

I just recently purchased a blackberry curve 8300 and did not sign up for a data plan because i have access to wifi 90% of time. My question is, is the phone completely useless without data i notice i cant even use MSN on wifi.
Before i bought my BB my friend told me that i could still use everything on wifi, just not BBmessenger and BB email, But it seems i cant use any applications on wifi.

Last edited by MIIGHT; 04-20-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Default Re: Blackberry without data but with wifi

Most applications nowadays require a blackberry data plan.
This includes MSN.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Here's the deal:

1 - You're friend is sort of correct. The fact is that you will not be able to use ANY BlackBerry branded apps, nor any other apps that require access to the BlackBerry/RIM infrastructure, without a BlackBerry data plan. This will be the case even for wifi. So that includes not just BBM and push email, but the BlackBerry twitter, facebook, etc. and even some third-party apps.

2 - Some carrier's require the BlackBerry data plan in order for wifi to be usable. Do a search on this and see the discussions. Some others, for example T-Mobile USA, do not require it. I don't know about your carrier. See what others say.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-20-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
fazli

Model: Bolt
Carrier: Digi

dear god,

so this is the phone problem and require to unlock if the carrier had set it , or we simply change the carrier will solve the problem??
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Faxli, please explain your question in more detail. I am not sure what you are asking.

Plus it is bad manners to hijack another user's thread, particularly when your problem is not like that of the original poster.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
fazli

Model: Bolt
Carrier: Digi

Opps , really sorry about my rude.

I am Fazli from Malaysia, i just bought a 9780 bold from a phone shop not from the telco/carrier and i currently use the Digi carrier call and the data plan. i didn't buy my phone with signing the contract with any telco/carrier so i can switch to any provider if needed.

the weird thing i notice even i subscribe/pay the call + data plan, if i am a Blackberry user i even require pay for addiitional small fee in order for blackberry services , if i don't pay for this, not only special features of blackberry such as blackberry messenger, push mail, i am not even can use the general internet browsing with my blackberry bold although i already have the data plan,i being told. I don't know this is same at other country or provider?

this is my problem, i found i am not even able to go online if that is wifi available to be access by me, this is misleading from the datasheet of the blackberry as they told us it is support wifi but now it is hidden "term and condition' . i will forseen i have bigger problem if i am go oversea, i can't use the wifi out there, have use my current carrier with hosh cost.

Can i know this is the carrier problem or the phone had been setted? can the unlock phone solve this kind of problem. Please bear in mind i can and i have freedom switch my phone to any call & data plan provider in Malaysia, such as Digi, umobile, maxis, Celcom, i think also no problem with any country provider as well, just now if i switch off the data plan, i just plainly use the wifi to suft the web.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazli View Post
Opps , really sorry about my rude.

I am Fazli from Malaysia, i just bought a 9780 bold from a phone shop not from the telco/carrier and i currently use the Digi carrier call and the data plan. i didn't buy my phone with signing the contract with any telco/carrier so i can switch to any provider if needed.

the weird thing i notice even i subscribe/pay the call + data plan, if i am a Blackberry user i even require pay for addiitional small fee in order for blackberry services , if i don't pay for this, not only special features of blackberry such as blackberry messenger, push mail, i am not even can use the general internet browsing with my blackberry bold although i already have the data plan,i being told. I don't know this is same at other country or provider?

this is my problem, i found i am not even able to go online if that is wifi available to be access by me, this is misleading from the datasheet of the blackberry as they told us it is support wifi but now it is hidden "term and condition' . i will forseen i have bigger problem if i am go oversea, i can't use the wifi out there, have use my current carrier with hosh cost.

Can i know this is the carrier problem or the phone had been setted? can the unlock phone solve this kind of problem. Please bear in mind i can and i have freedom switch my phone to any call & data plan provider in Malaysia, such as Digi, umobile, maxis, Celcom, i think also no problem with any country provider as well, just now if i switch off the data plan, i just plainly use the wifi to suft the web.
Again, all BlackBerry devices with any carrier require BlackBerry data plans in order to operate properly, including over WiFi.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
jonahhugo

Model: Torch
Carrier: Virgin

Dear MIIGHT..... you have bought BlackBerry Curve 8300 and you have told that you have not yet signed up for its data plan...... dear friend you must know that BlackBerry handsets are such gadgets which are generally preferred not only the conversation but more importantly, the users have brought it to their home to complete some more task.. related to internet. i am totally agree with Fazil... but the Uk market has some other plans also.... there are many related portals like phonelimited , free3gmobilephoneoffers and many more, where you would find some kinds of plans which comes with data connectivity options.... but at first.. friend you have to get signed up for its applications especially data applications...
Closed Thread