BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:44 AM   #1
Q14

Model: 7520
Default SMS messaging for Nextel's 7520

Please Login to Remove!

I sent the following letter to nextel and rim and got the following response. Something needs to be done about this sooner rather than later. Why do we pay the same blackberry service fee's as other providers and do not get the same features as they do it. I do not like Nextel's/Rim take it or leave it attitude. I would love to hear you guys comments

Complaint
I am writing to discuss my concerns regarding the RIM Blackberry service provided for Nextel. I own a Nextel 7520 and by comparison to the T-mobile (7100t), Cingular (7100g) and Verizon (7250) RIM Blackberry devices, Nextel is the only service provider that RIM has not integrated SMS messaging for Blackberry users. I don’t understand why SMS messaging can’t be combined with the e-mail function of the Blackberry for Nextel service. SMS messaging is an industry standard for devices like the Blackberry (T-mobile, Cingular, Verizon).
I am currently a Men’s basketball coach at the Division I level and SMS is literally the wave of the future in recruiting student athletes. It is inconvenient to tell friends, business associates, and prospective student athletes to send me a SMS as an e-mail. Also, sending SMS messages as emails from my RIM Nextel 7520 is a hassle because I often don’t know the e-mail address used for the other subscriber’s SMS messaging.

The most frustrating thing is that I am able to receive SMS messages, but the sender is not identified, and I can’t reply. This is obviously an inconvenience to my ability to utilize and maximize the services in an all-in-one device like the RIM Nextel blackberry device. It needs to be corrected.

When I contacted Nextel technical service, I was told basically, “that’s just the way it is.”

I hope that Nextel and RIM are working on a solution to integrate SMS messaging with the blackberry service. I would like to know the timetable, so I can determine if Nextel can continue to serve my communication needs.

Answer

I wanted to follow-up with you to share some important information relative to corresponding using SMS from your iDEN BlackBerry.

1. The current Nextel network infrastructure does support Mobile Originated SMS which is as you have described; (Nextel uses 2-way messaging via techonology called net-alert. Net Alerts are currently not supported on our handheld software)

2. It is important to note, that if an SMS is sent from the Nextel messaging website, the sender's number is included in part of the SMS content;

3. If the SMS is sent from other CDMA/GPRS handhelds (as you mentioned Verizon or Cingular), the sender's number is not passed to our iDEN BlackBerry, therefore we unfortunately do not have the sender information to display

I understand that you are interested in corresponding with prospects vis SMS. If feasible, I encourage you to ask that prospects send you an SMS from the Nextel web site. Other options can include exchanging email and/or utilizing the end users' phone email address. In future, I do expect the 7520 to be able to support enhanced messaging capabilities and these capabilities will most likely address your complete needs.

I appreciate the fact that you have made an investment in the BlackBerry 7520 and trust that you will continue to enjoy the device and functionality.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
nv00021

Thumbs down

In other words....too f**cking bad....we do not supported....you're s**t out of luck and thanks for your money....

Super Service....

Great Response....

Time for you to seriously look at another vendor

NJV
Old 05-05-2005, 08:15 AM   #3
jdh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

I hate to say it, but the truth is that is the way it is, and there's nothing that RIM or Nextel can really do about it even if they wanted to.

The problem with SMS on the 7520 (and Nextel in general) is that it uses iDEN as it's network technology (which is fundamentally different from GSM/GPRS or CDMA). iDEN does not define a standard for the transmission of SMS messages from a network device.

The limitation is not RIM or Nextel's but rather the network technology itself. The Telus "Mike" network up here in Canada has the same limitation. There simply is no published specification for the sending SMS messages over iDEN.

The only thing Nextel may be guilty of in this case is selecting the wrong network topology for their network, however to be fair, iDEN was the only network built from the ground up to support the two-way PTT-style communications.

Note that you will find some Motorola iDEN phones that can send SMS, but I believe that Motorola had a proprietary method of doing so (and remember, they basically designed the iDEN network protocol).

Bottom line is that if the sending of SMS messages is a feature you really need, you will have to move off of Nextel onto another carrier that uses GSM (T-Mobile, Cingular, etc), or CDMA (Verizon).

Last edited by jdh; 05-05-2005 at 08:18 AM..
Old 05-05-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
nv00021

jdh....

On a unrelated topic. Do you know if Telus is going to support the HTML browser as Nextel has with the new software update?

Just taking a shot to see if you have any knowledge of that before I call our beloved Telus Mobility.

Thanks

NJV
Old 05-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
JDWallace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

jdh, Thanks for that info! I have been wondering about that myself, as I too have Nextel and a BB7520. Thanks for explaining the response, I learned more about IDEN Network and stuff!!

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 05-05-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

atleast now I understand why it takes so long for a non nextel sms to reach my i730 phone and vice versa.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
JDWallace

HMMMM, could explain why my wife's i730 is the same way as Dawg's

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 05-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
NXTL*BRIAN
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Thumbs up SMS Messaging....

I noticed that when I send Text Messages with my i860 it does take quite awhile for them to go to other carriers...However, when I send them to another Nextel user they get them as soon as I send them. Additionally, sending text messages is not one of my top priorites, so it doesn't affect me all that much. I usually just send PIN or Email messages using the Blackberry.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: The New AT&T

Everything about Nextel is garbage. Even non-blackberry related things. They have zero care for anybody so long as the paper keeps rolling in. Their network is awful. Im a former client, but will never give them another dime. They are rude, inconsiderate, and pretty much unless your line of work is blue collar (which is ok not ripping them and totally respect them) nextel is worthless.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 05-05-2005, 11:10 PM   #10
JDWallace

Jacobbsaa,
Refer to this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6611
I don't really agree with your Nextel bashing...and I don't see anyone else bashing outer carriers. It seems you might have had some problems with Nextel, which people do. But I tend to see people get heated and start taking it out on the first person who they talk to. That is where you get the problem. I would not want to help people if they were going ballistic on the phone at me while I was attempting to help them, this is probably why I don't work in CS though! I use my BB as a personal phone, work does not pay for my service! I have NEVER had any problems with Nextel or their CS! Granted they may have a few people that don't have a clue from time to time, but just ask to be transfered. That is what I like to call THAT 10%, meaning NO MATTER what you are doing or situation your in....there is always 10% of people there who are complete jack@$$es. You can't help those, they are born like that....LOL! We can all disagree in the forums, but bashing is going a bit far brother. I am not trying to rip on ya, but Nextel Ripping gets me going sometimes, sorry!

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 05-06-2005, 05:39 AM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWallace
Jacobbsaa,
Refer to this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6611
I don't really agree with your Nextel bashing...and I don't see anyone else bashing outer carriers. It seems you might have had some problems with Nextel, which people do. But I tend to see people get heated and start taking it out on the first person who they talk to. That is where you get the problem. I would not want to help people if they were going ballistic on the phone at me while I was attempting to help them, this is probably why I don't work in CS though! I use my BB as a personal phone, work does not pay for my service! I have NEVER had any problems with Nextel or their CS! Granted they may have a few people that don't have a clue from time to time, but just ask to be transfered. That is what I like to call THAT 10%, meaning NO MATTER what you are doing or situation your in....there is always 10% of people there who are complete jack@$$es. You can't help those, they are born like that....LOL! We can all disagree in the forums, but bashing is going a bit far brother. I am not trying to rip on ya, but Nextel Ripping gets me going sometimes, sorry!

I agree JD I love Nextel wouldnt go to another service for anything or any amount. Yes there CS does leave a little room for getting better but I have the same problem at bellsouth comcast and anyother place I call. We expect everything to work when we pay for a service but hey this is the real world and things arent perfect. Remember the customer service people are contracted by Nextel they are not Nextel employees. If you dont like Nextel then thats your choice. I hate verizon so with that said since you hate them please dont post in the nextel threads simple enough.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
NXTL*BRIAN
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Smile Get'em Dawg....

Dawg....you stated that just as I would have. Where I live here in Kentucky we have to pump the sunlight in! LoL However, right at this moment Nextel doesn't have the best service in the area. The best part about it, its growing really fast, Cingular is probably the more dominant company here. I just love it when a Cingular customer comes in here and switches from Cingular to Nextel. In the month of April we switched 22 people from Cingular to Nextel. I always tell my customers, "as of right now we don't have the bars like Cingular, but we got friends!" Nextel doesn't have plans until next year of placing more towers here in the are. However, right now they are putting up some new Directionals. I'm all Nextel, no complaints here...
Old 05-06-2005, 10:38 AM   #13
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

I just think it is not a smart move going with nextel. There is no secret that you pay more for less. It's that simple. If you like the direct connect, im with you all the way. If you like it, thats all that matters. I support you. But Blackberry-speak, you get ripped of for the money when other carriers have 1)better network 2)more services 3)better customer service 4)outspend nextel by 5 times every year to make improvements. That is just my opinion.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 05-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #14
iflyskyhigh

Default Business vs. Pleasure

Just my two cents, but in all fairness and reality for that matter, Nextel was designed for business use and I have always thought of SMS as something people use to chit chat back and fourth in a non-formal setting.

I'm sure that SMS does have professional uses, and those uses are most likely growing everyday, but it takes a long time to develop new technology, and the products that you see on Nextel shelves today have been in the works for years. Therefore Nextel does lag behind the other's since as some one else already pointed out, it is an entirely new network.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Nextel yes person, in fact I'm probably gonna switch to Cingular becuase I need a more personal style cell phone plan as opposed to a business style one. I want the SMS services, wireless to wireless minutes, and more minutes for less money, something Nextel is way behind in! I'm not mad at Nexel, nor do I think their product is sub-par, it's just not a good fit for my needs.

Really the only reason to have Nextel is for Direct Conect, so if don't need it or don't use it (like me), there are far better deals out there both on phones and on plans. I wish I would have done more research before I signed a two year contract with Nextel just because several of my friends and people work with had them. Because in actuality, most of the people I communicate with most often don't have nextel.

I think that Nextel phones and plan will someday in the near future be "great" for the average joe, but for now they just can't compete with the other carries in terms of pricing, plans, and phones that the everday person needs.

Just for the record, I feel Nextel has the best customer service I have I have ever delt with. I know that go to a different CS department because I'm on a government discount plan, but I would assume everyone gets the same level of service in the end.

I also have Sprint PCS for my wife now and I used it for years before switching to Nexel. I can't tell you the of times I've wanted to go down to the Sprint Corp offices with a wrecking ball and tear the place down. They have the worst CS in the world.

Last edited by iflyskyhigh; 05-06-2005 at 10:49 AM..
Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #15
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

iflyskyhigh,

I couldnt agree more.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 05-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #16
mannym45

Default sms

hey guys maybe this could help. SMS could be sent as an email what a hassle, but if you don't know the person phone email here is what you do sent the person and email [email address] it will route it to the service provider of that person. Not my info got it at another forum.just thought this could help for the time being.
example
[email address]
Old 05-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I really dont even care about SMS I have had it on other phones with other carriers its just not a big deal to me. I like the fact that I can pick up my nextel and call my buddy on the left coast and talk as long as I want with out the hassle of LD charges or any LD at all I used 1400 minutes last month and 200 minutes of cell so the cell minutes arent that big of a deal I pay 34.99 for unlimited BB and email thats 10. more than what i have seen posted from other carriers the only service I can see that nextel doesnt offer me is the SMS what do the others offer that is so much better?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #18
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

I mean it basically comes down to if you like the direct connect. Dawg, if you use that alot, then for sure you are going with nextel. It would be stupid not to. I hold no illwill. I just use SMS alot so I like other stuff.

Agree to disagree.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 05-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #19
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Thats cool I was just wondering what I was missing from the other carriers I hold no ill regard either. We are all crackberry addicts here..
Old 05-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #20
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Indeed we are my friend

Politicin' 24/7
Closed Thread