BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
dd123

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Unhappy RIM Desktop Manager Screws Up the BB Modem & RIM Virtual Serial Port

Please Login to Remove!

I have been using my BB Standard Modem with my 7130c for the last 3 months just fine. Downloaded and installed Desktop Manager v4.2 2 weeks back and it deleted the Standard Modem & the RIM Virtual Serial Port. Instead it setup RIM Virtual Serial Port v2. Tried setting up a Standard Modem, but it would not recognize the COM port this RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 was tied to. Downgraded to Desktop Manager v4.1.1 after a clean uninstall and it still will not setup the RIM Virtual Serial Port or the Standard Modem. Tried the repair option a few times. Finally went into Add Hardware and tried adding the RIM Virtual Serial Port by pointing to the driver RIMSerial.inf under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Modem Drivers. The add new wizard finishes with an error saying -'A error occured durind the installation of the device. The system cannot find the file specified'. The only option this screen gives me is 'Finish'. However, as long as I donot press finish there is a little message in my system tray which says new hardware has been installed and ready to be used. If I open Device Manager, I can see the new RIM Virtual Serial Port attached to a COM port and it is enabled. The minute I press finish on the add new Hardware wizard, this RIM Virual Serial Port disappears. I have attached some screen shots below. Before I tried re-installing the RIM Virtual Serial Port, I went through the registry & C:\Windows\System 32\Drivers folder and removed all prior versions of the RIM driver. I travel a lot and need to use my 7130c as a modem. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIM Virtual Serial Port Install Error.jpg (22.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Device Manager Before Hitting Finish.JPG (38.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Device Manager After Hitting Finish.JPG (38.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
tarve

Model: 8700r
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers
Unhappy Cannot install rim virtual serial port v2 either...

I have the exact same issues as you describe. The RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 was not automatically installed when I installed Desktop Manager 4.2.0.14. When I tried to manually install the virtual serial driver (Add hardware...) it appears to add the port but then display the error.."the system cannot find the file specified".

I have gone through the uninstall, reboot, install cycle and also tried the repair option...no luck. I have tried v4.1 as well...but again no luck.

Getting my BB to work as a modem would be a huge benefit for me, so any assistance would be much appreciated..
Closed Thread