BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
jamesdoe

Model: 8700
Default disable password feature or lengthen the time before bb locks out for password?

Please Login to Remove!

is there a way to disable the password feature that has been pushed down by my IT dept?...i know that for the treos it was a simple reg edit...

if thats not possible...is there a way to lengthen the time from 30 min to 24 hours or something?

thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
kelvin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Simple answer - No. LOng answer - you could delete the policy (search this forum) but as you will also find when you search, it is not recommended and may be cause for Dismissal
Old 05-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

First off, listen to what kelvin said. If you attempt to disable security you may be subject to terminiation per your company policies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdoe
is there a way to lengthen the time from 30 min to 24 hours or something?
Yes, and no. The length of time before locking can be adjusted to a maximum of 60 minutes. The ability to change it it also controlled by the IT Policy. You best bet is to contact your BES admin to see if there is an alternate policy you can be added to.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-23-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
is there a way to disable the password feature that has been pushed down by my IT dept?...
The same way for any IT procedure. If there exists a valid business reason to not adequately protect the company data since it conveniences you, here is my advice. Get Executive level buy-in to change IT procedures. Do this at the highest level possible. Preferably at an executive level that ultimately both you and IT report to. The guys that sign the checks can also pretty much change any procedure.

Accomplishing this through any other means is likely unethical.

Quote:
if thats not possible...is there a way to lengthen the time from 30 min to 24 hours or something?
Same as above. Get executive level buy-in. If any part of the password policy is negatively affecting company profits, something will be done (assuming rational executives). If there is no good reason for the password, the rule will be changed. Some IT departments are guity of that. My guess is the password policy was dicted my management or via some security audit checklist (possible through external audit, if the company in question is publicly traded). Otherwise learn to type the password, change jobs, or accept a position with less responsibilities.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
a_kayaker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
is there a way to disable the password feature that has been pushed down by my IT dept?...i know that for the treos it was a simple reg edit...

thanks

I am the BES admin for my company and just got asked this question 3 mins ago... 5th time for the day so far.

Our policy is to lock the handheld after 2 mins and upon holstering. THis includes the phone.

Now we only require a 4 character password with the device set to erase after 10 wrong guesses.

This may seem like a bit much, but think of all of the the company and personal info that these devices hold. Nevermind the fact that someone could get your device and call their good friend in China on your dime.

While the security settings may seem like a bit much, we also have to protect ourselves (IT). After all... who are going to run to when you have lost your device. US.

I can hear it now. You have lost your device and left it unlocked so now someone has all of your personal data including your passwords and credit card #s because you were stupid and had that info on there too. They now know where you and all of your friends live and they will be visiting your wife while you are away.

SO, now you ask "why wasn't there better security on the device" and "how could this happen" and "if it was possible to lockdown the device then why didn't we"? Who can I blame? How can I make this look like someone elses fault? Damn IT people

I'll tell you what... if it happens at my company then you can blame me.

Think about all of the important info you have on the device, now think... would you want the guy next to you on the airplane to have that info?

Now how hard is it really to enter a simple password?

Now, I may sound angry, but I am not. I'm just trying to drive home a point here.

Sometimes we need to be protected from ourselves.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Amen to that. Just about the only person in our company who HASN'T complained about the locking policy that I implemented is the owner. I am not budging, though, since it's one of the more lax policies I could have implemented (6 char min w/1 num & 1 letter, user can change timeout up to 60 min, 10 tries and yer out).

We have had numerous people (all Sales team) lose their devices or leave them in cabs and are happy the device locks to prevent anyone from getting into their email, address book, etc.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Sorry jamesdoe, I meant to warn you last night that aq lot of admin's (maybe even yours) visit this forum.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
jamesdoe

Model: 8700

no worries...appreciate the heads up...
Closed Thread