Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
>>FaHaD<<

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Etisalat
Default Enable Mass Storage Mode

Please Login to Remove!

Hey there ppl. I own a 8310

When ever i am connecting my BB with my computer it asks me if i want to enable Mass Storage mode and for it, it is asking for a Device Password.

Now what is my Device Password? I am given 10 chances. Both the PC and the BB device is asking for it.

I have only one set of password on my device that being the one i use to unlock the device when i pull it out of the holster. that is not being accepted by as the correct password.

My device was locked to a network and i just got it unlocked.

so now how do i figure out the device password?

also, do i have to enable this mass storage mode? what is it and do i need it?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: AT&T

It is the same password you use to unlock the device. Check caps lock, etc... but it is the same one. If you are approaching your number of tries, unplug it and lock it then unlock again with your password to reset the number of tries.

This is to allow your PC to use your media card (SD card) as a drive. You do not need to enable this but you will have to enter the password on the device to allow your PC access to it. The prompt on the PC side is also the same one as your unlock password. This is required for desktop manager to access the device and device memory.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
>>FaHaD<<

Carrier: Etisalat

Jee thanks.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by >>FaHaD<< View Post
Jee thanks.
You're welcome... I think
Old 12-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
aboger

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

CO_BBTechie,

I recently purchased a media card for my new 8330. I purchased it and a USB card reader from cellphoneshop (the site linked on this board). My PC didn't recognize the storage device though. Well, it did in the sense that the message in the lower right hand corner popped up and said "new device found", installed, etc. But when I go to My Computer, i can't double click the drive to access it. Also, my MAC at home won't recognize the drive either. I then put the card in my phone and formatted it to make sure that wasn't the problem, but it didn't solve the problem. Any thoughts?

Last edited by aboger; 12-12-2008 at 05:56 PM..
Old 12-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
CO_BBTechie

What should happen here is:

You need to enable media card support: options>advanced>media card. You also need to select a mass storage mode options (yes, no, prompt.)

Pull the battery on your device and install the card. When the device powers up you may or may not see a message indicating a media card was installed and it may ask you if you wish to format it.

When connecting the BB to your PC you should receive a prompt on the BB asking if you wish to enable mass storage mode. You do. If you have a device password you will need to enter it here.

You should now have DLA to your media card from your PC.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
aboger

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

CO_BBTechie

I tried using Destop Manager with my BB connected via USB and that worked. Windows was able to recognize that as a USB drive. so I just used DM to transfer over some music. I have no idea why the card won't read when its in my USB card reader but works when its in the BB?? All the best I suppose since the card is in a poor location for repeated swapping anyways

And now when I plug my BB directly into my MAC, it recognizes it as a USB drive. Which is what I wanted all along since that's where my music is! Thanks so much.

Up for fielding another question? I only transferred 2 albums over to the BB just to test it out and see how it played. Well, both albums show up correctly under the music folder under my media card. Funny thing though... The 2 albums are entirely complete and functional under their respective album names on my BB, but a few songs from each of the 2 albums also show up under "unknown album". The songs under "unknown album" read 0:00 length and nothing happens when i try to play them. I tried Menu-> Delete, but it didn't do anything. Both albums were ripped from CD, under the same m4a format, and converted (when prompted by Roxio) upon transfer via DM. So there shouldn't be any difference in the audio files as far as tags, type, etc. Any thoughts as to why, or more importantly, how to get ride of them?

EDIT: In case I sounded contradictory about wanting to be able to transfer music from my Mac and then saying I sucessfully used DM (which doesn't work for Mac) to transfer music from a PC... I first moved some music to a separate USB and then used the separate USB as my source of transfer w/ DM. Thanks.

Last edited by aboger; 12-12-2008 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: for clarification
Closed Thread