BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Matt_Stevens
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Storm2 Case options? Leather vs. plastic, etc.

Please Login to Remove!

I did a search and only found a thread like this in regards to the first Storm. It's now closed:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ase-storm.html

My Storm2 is always in my left front pocket. I have placed my cell phones in that pocket for over ten years because I do not like holsters on a belt or any such nonsense. I never put anything else in my left pocket, so I am not worried about scratches on the screen.

However, I drop cell phones constantly! My prior phone, a crapola LG VX8350, is so dinged up it looks like Rambo used it for combat practice. The phone I had before that was a Razr and holy smokes, did it take a beating. Went through two of them in a year.

So now I need a case. A case that will protect this thing from the constant drops to the floor that are sure to come. After a week I have dropped it once, on a hard wood floor. It hit in such a way that there was no damage, but the back cover popped off. Wake up call!!

The Otter Box is like $45 or so and appears robust, but it's thick. It'll be a brick in my pants, but then again, if it protects the phone, I won't care.

My wife wants me to have a leather covering case. She says they are much more professional looking. Whatever. The only one I see that I like is not yet available.

Case-Mate BlackBerry Storm2 9550 Signature Leather Case (Case-Mate CM010234), BlackBerry Storm2 9550 Cases, Holsters, Skins, and Accessories in Premium Leather

That's a fine looking case. Anything else out there like it? I have yet to find something similar. Maybe the wife is right cause I am liking the look of such a case.

InvisiScreen and such screen protectors don't interest me. I've not the patience needed to apply them. Maybe if I find a place somewhere in Manhattan that does the work, I'll spring for it. Then again, my wife's iPhone doesn't have anything covering the touch screen and after five months of heavy use, it doesn't have a scratch. This should be no different.

OK, thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Storm2_leather_case.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	17690  
Old 12-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
rich007007

Carrier: Verizon

I've gone through a total of 4 cases (gotta love CrackBerry's return policy). I tired the BlackBerry Leather Horizontal Pouch, Seidio's Holster for BlackBerry Storm2 9550, Seidio's Innocase Lock Holster and the Nite Ize Executive Leather Side Case for BlackBerry Storm2 9550. The one I ended up keeping was Seidio's Premium Horizontal Leather Case. This case is perfect since I ended up purchasing the BlackBerry Skin. The case has expanding sides which allows me to slide in the S2 with or without the skin and always have a nice snug fit.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Matt_Stevens

Thanks for the reply. That shopCrackberry site is amazing. I may pick up the $50 Superbundle, which has a lot of stuff that will be great for me. Still deciding.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

If you really need the protection, use an Otterbox case.
They are the most durable and offer the most protection of all of the cases.
Several of my coworkers use them (myself included) during the course of our work in law enforcement
Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Matt_Stevens

Yes, that is what I am doing. I decided to order the Otterbox Commuter Case (I think that's what it's called). Basically, the one below the Defender. The Defender is just too thick. I had a chance to look at it in person at a local Verizon store and compare it to the COmmuter and I think I have made the right choice. We'll see.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
woodworthjohnca

I also carry my Storm 2 in the left front pocket of my pants, but also sometimes in a pack or brief case. I am considering the Fortte "Dual Design" leather case. This has a removable flip cover which will protect the screen. About $40 to $50 or more depending on options.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

Matt,

I've been through the gambit of invisi shields, rubber covers, and plastic cases. The plastic ones seem to do the best even when dropped. I got the cheapest plastic form fitting cases and replaced them a couple times. Case Mate, Incipio and iSkin Vibes were my top favorites.

In the end, I am with the Storm bare. I even pulled off the stock screen protector and all is well. When I go to the Storm 2, Ill pull off the stock screen protector and use the iSkin Vibes cover.

For me, unless the case isn't form fitting, it takes away from the aesthetic of the phone. The Storm 2 looks HOT bare.

Ask you wife about the bare Storm.

Verizon 9530
Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Matt_Stevens

Yeah, cased the Storm2 dos look a bit bulky and clunky. Nude it looks like it came out of Star Trek and is quite cool. But I drop my phones, always, so I have no choice but to grab a case.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2

I got this one from Verizon directly and its perfect. It has a rear cover shell but also has a Rubberized Swivel Holster, which you could choose to use or not. I do use both but could see just using the rear cover shell alone.

Enter your location
Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2

I'm not sure if that link will be ok, it works for me but? Anyway it is the Rubberized Swivel Holster w/ Rear Cover Shell included

PART# RIM9550HOC
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
deej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbairdjr View Post
If you really need the protection, use an Otterbox case.
They are the most durable and offer the most protection of all of the cases.
Several of my coworkers use them (myself included) during the course of our work in law enforcement
Just got my Storm 2 last week, and the Otterbox Defender series case, and I have to say that Otterbox really stepped up to the plate and out did themselves on this one. Its the best case I have ever seen for a cell phone, I was a little worried about it being bulky, but this case is not boxy (is that a word) Its really great, and I have dropped it twice already and not a scratch. ;)

Think of your three closest friends. If they seem normal
you're the one!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
deej
Thumbs Must Hurt

I forgot to add that Otterbox makes 3 versions of the case for the Storm 2, the reason that I went with the full meal deal is that I am a Maintenance Mechanic and I need a case and phone to hold up under abuse.

you're the one!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

Matt,

your dilemma also brings to mind another design oversight. I think the Storm designers should have offered a tether lug on the Storm. Might have worked out well for your butter fingers.

I will tell you that the iSkin vibe case holds up well. I don't drop my Storm but it has been knocked off my truck seat and desk a few times and the case held up quite well. I did however have to use a rotary tool to add at few holes near the rear speak so I could hear the phone ringing through the case when it was in my pocket.

But do check Crackberry for some quality cases that might suit your needs without making the Storm get to clunky looking.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
deej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hello all, I copied this review that I did from another forum, just FYI..;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej1914 View Post
Got my Storm 2 last week and the Otterbox a few days later. Here is my review. Zero issues with the case, all buttons work absolutely flawlessly. The case is top notch in my book, and since I am a maintenance mechanic, this thing will serve me well. Another thought, I have always had an issue with cell phones being made smaller every year, and frankly I was getting tired of phones slipping out of my hands. This new Otterbox Defender case not only protects the phone perfectly (already dropped twice and not a scratch) but the larger case along with its rubber case really feels like a phone now. If anyone is having issues with the buttons or the screen not working, then you installed something wrong. The sliding action and tap and typing features are exactly the same as before I installed the screen protector and case. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. The only issues that I wish they would have addressed was to make the back come off without having to take off the whole case apart to swap batteries. If they ever do that I will upgrade faster than Rossie O'Donnell running to an all you can eat buffet.

P.S. No I'm not being paid by Otterbox to say this...LOL

Deric
Well after a few drops of the phone and one of the small round notches on the case breaking, I decided to look for a new case. Oh sure the case is under warranty, and this morning I received a whole new replacement from Otterbox. However I was disappointed how easily the phone got bumped out if my hip hit anything or you didn't quite get it snapped in right. So here is what I did.

I found a new case on line, its a Carbon Fiber case>>>> LINK

I received it last week, and as you can see it keeps the phone from dropping out. I was real worried that while riding my motorcycle the phone would just drop off and land on the ground and I wouldn't even know it till it was too late. This new case although a little expensive, is absolutely the best case to date. I know I said that about the Otterbox Defender case, but this one really feels great.

Bonus: I just discovered that the Otterbox case will fit perfectly into the Carbon Fiber holster. So now I have 2 options.

Now all that being said, I still think Oterbox makes an awesome case. I just think for me I really needed that extra assurance that the phone was not going to drop on the sidewalk anymore. It happened at least 6 times in the last month, and I just could not take any chances like that. Here is a picture of the otterbox case fitting into the Carbon Fiber holster. In fact the Otterbox actually fits tighter in the Carbon Fiber Case. So all around I think I have some combinations that will serve me well.

Another nice feature of the Carbon Fiber case is that its waaaaay easier to slide the phone out to pull the battery or just to swap in a new battery. With the Otterbox Case you have extra layers to get through. Also I noticed that the Otterbox Case was starting to get a little stretched out from taking off the skin. I suppose there is no perfect case out there since we all have so many different needs and requirements. But if you work at a job where there is the potential of the phone getting bumped out and to the ground, might I suggest the Carbon Fiber case.

you're the one!

Last edited by deej; 02-08-2010 at 12:47 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #15
walkerzhang

Model: 9500
Carrier: 9500

Thank you very much.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
fink1434

Model: 8100
Carrier: Airtel

I bought a Pink and Cute cell phone skin which fits my blackberry and change the whole look of my cell in seconds and it also having the Highest Quality Guaranteed!

blackberry storm2 skins
Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

For what it is worth, I came across some cases from Leather PDA cases, PDA case - Stylish Elegant Functional leather PDA cases and handheld cases by Fortte. that are pretty nice. Reminds me of the Krusell cases back in the data that snug fit your device. But I do like the cases from seidio as well. In both instances I have found that these cases can fit phones with extended batteries. The fortte case being a lilttle tight but managable!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
mdlissner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Go to www.Degasis.net - Authorized Dealer of Epik Case Products for Smartphones - Blackberry Iphone Etc.. Cases for Storm 2 are great, and you can get three or four for what you would pay for most others.

Mark

Cingular BB8800
Old 09-04-2010, 03:08 AM   #19
merry558

Model: bold
Carrier: none

I need a case for my blackberry for my iphone to protect my phone from scratches...which case i have to buy leather or plastic ..can anyone suggest me...
Old 09-04-2010, 04:08 AM   #20
merry558

Model: bold
Carrier: none

wow...what a cases for blackberry at stores...i like to buy a beautiful case for my iphone..but i have two options leather and plastic..please anyone suggest me

blackberry storm2 skins
Closed Thread