Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default How To: Backup and Restore All Installed 3rd Party Apps

Please Login to Remove!

Need to wipe your device using javaloader or JL_Cmder but don't want to lose all your 3rd party apps? Backup/Restore in Desktop Manager won't do it. Here is a way to back them up and restore them. Note: It wouldn't be a bad idea to do this on a routine basis just incase your device gives you the unexpected hourglass screen of death requiring you to wipe the device.
  • Download and install the latest version of Desktop Manager 4.2 from here
  • Plug in the device and run Desktop Manager.
  • Click on “Switch Device Wizard.”
  • Click on “Switch Blackberry Devices.”
  • Click “Next.”
  • Select USB: Your Pin.
  • Click “Next” and then enter your password if required.
  • Uncheck “User Data and Settings” and “Include Messages” leaving only “Third Party Applications checked.
  • Click “Next.”
  • When it’s finished backing up the apps, DO NOT click “Next” or “Cancel.” Leave that screen as it is and continue these instructions.
  • Search your computer files/folders for a folder labled with your pin number. Be sure and search in hidden and system files. Hint from BBF member NextelUser: Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and type in %temp% to find your temp folder with the folder labeled as your pin number.
  • When you find it copy it to another location.
  • Now go back and “Cancel” the Switch Device Wizard. If you cancel the wizard before copying the folder to another location the folder is automatically emptied.
  • Now wipe your device as desired. Your backup is complete.

Restore:
  • When the OS has been loaded back to the device run Application Loader again and click on “Add”
  • Browse to the folder you copied with your PIN. Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.
  • This should add all your 3rd party apps to the apploader.
  • Finish the installation to load them to your BB.
  • After the 3rd party backups have been restored, move, rename or delete the folder you pointed to using the "Add" feature in DM. Failure to do so will cause subsequent backups to skip any application that was contained in the original backup. See the note below.
  • Restore your personal data using the restore feature in Desktop Manager Backup/Restore
Note: If you are wiping the device because of a problem this procedure may not be wise to perform because the cause of the trouble could possibly be in one of the 3rd party apps.

Note: If you ever use one of these backups to restore an app or multiple apps back to your device you'll need to move the folder to a new location after restoring. If you leave it in the same location then the next time you perform this backup procedure any apps included in the original will not be backed up in the temp/yourpin folder since they are already recognized by Desktop Manager as being in another location. So, after restoring your app(s) simply move the pin folder to a new location, rename it or delete it.

Last edited by John Clark; 10-03-2009 at 05:49 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
bloodhound

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: China mobile
Default Re: Backing up applications -How To: Backup All Installed 3rd Party Apps

The process described in http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...arty-apps.html
Did not work for me, it backed up nothing, what am I doing wrong ?, I followed the steps, tried 3 times.
I do have 3rd party applications installed, such as Handango Chinese translation dictionary and phrase book, Opera, + other 3rd party apps.
Are there any other methods for backing up 3rd party apps ?.
===
Blackberry 8100 user in Shanghai.
===
Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
The process described in http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...arty-apps.html
Did not work for me, it backed up nothing, what am I doing wrong ?, I followed the steps, tried 3 times.
I do have 3rd party applications installed, such as Handango Chinese translation dictionary and phrase book, Opera, + other 3rd party apps.
Are there any other methods for backing up 3rd party apps ?.
===
Blackberry 8100 user in Shanghai.
===
so when you ran a back up it didnt save any third party apps at all?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

If you can determine the names of the .cod files on the device, you can use Javaload (JL_cmder) to backup third party programs.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-jl_cmder.html
Old 08-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Two Mike Romeo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Just a quick note on searching for the yourpin.alx file...

First of all... Thanks John for this excellent tutorial. This has saved my bacon and LOTS of time reloading all my 3P apps. Kudos to you!

And for those of you that are trying this for the first time...

When you search your computer files/folders for the folder labled with your pin number - make sure that you enable searches for hidden files and folders. See the attached pic for a description.

Randall
Two Mike Romeo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Search Window.jpg (70.8 KB, 139 views)
Old 08-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
bloodhound

Correct, it did not save any apps. Infact the process was slightly different than that described in the previous url.
1) Start BB Desktop, enter passwords on Desktop and BB.
2) Start Switch Devices
3) Click the Switch the BB Device icon
4) Click Next
5) At USB:pin dialog, click Next
6) Enter Password, click Next
7) "Activate my New Device during the Device Switching Process", "Select you email MS Outlook or IBM Lotus" Dialog is displayed
8) Select "Do not activate my device during the switching process"
9) Click Next
10) "No Actions Required" Dialog is displayed
I do not see at any point any apps being backed up,
Thoughts ?.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

did you do a back up prior to the switch?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
bloodhound

Not sure what you mean, certainly there's no backup option dialogs for the switch. However I did do a backup from backup/restore from the desktop manager, but this only performs a backup of data, not applications.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #9
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Default Backup & restore

Why not FIRST use Backup & Restore app within BBDM.

Do a FULL backup. RESTORE on the replacement unit.

Then activate the new replacement BB unit .... sounds like you're on a BES and its POSSIBLE that new IT Policy has restrictions.

question ... IF you are ON a BES ... did you install those 3rd party apps BEFORE setting up on that BES?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

He's wanting to backup the 3rd party apps on his device. Backup/Restore doesn't back those up.

@bloodhound:
You are simply going to far in the switch device wizard. After you select your pin (the first time,) enter your password. It should read the device and then bring up a screen to check "backup user data and settings" and "include messages" and "Third party applications." Uncheck the user data and messages and leave third party apps checked. Click Next. Once that is done DO NOT do ANYTHING else otherwise it will empty the folder and the backup won't be there. Leave the window there and go search for the folder labled with your pin. Remember to search hidden and system folders.

All these instructions are in the sticky thread with exception to the password entry and the part about searching for hidden and system folders.

...and I've merged your thread with this one to keep it all in one place. You'll likely not be the only one with this problem.

Last edited by John Clark; 08-27-2007 at 11:33 PM..
Old 08-28-2007, 01:09 AM   #11
bloodhound

Thanks John, rtfm, I forgot to search for hidden files. I have now found the directory named with the pin number, however no files at all with ext alx.
The 8100 platform ver is 4.2.1.101 not sure if this makes any difference.
FYI I am very new to BB, I am based in Shanghai, so worse still theres no support or true outlets yet for BB's, China Mobile now supports BB's, however I am at the mercy or unqualified outfits that load/unload software on BB's, hence my urgent need to backup my apps. Recently I got the BB 8100, could not see how to connect to the internet and had no MMS support, could not see anything in the BB to support MMS, my simcard supports both internet and MMS and works fine on my samung. I had no idea how to configure MMS or Internet, no idea where you get a service book from still no idea. So I took the BB to a place, they trashed everything on the phone, but managed to load new stuff on and get MMS and Internet on.
Again thanks for you help.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:17 AM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

If there are no files in the pin folder then that means you went too far during the switch device wizard. Follow the instructions very closely. If you cancel out or continue on, the files will be removed from the folder. After it reads the 3rd party apps, do NOTHING. Just go find the folder and copy it to another location. THEN go back and cancel the switch device wizard.

This procedure was not meant for doing this but is a workaround way to backup all 3rd party apps at once. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
TomT64

Model: 8100

This all looks very easy to do, except my device's USB connection no longer works. I was able to backup the data and restore it to a new Blackberry of the same type (Pearl) under warranty replacement. However, the desktop manager will not allow me to backup applications via Bluetooth. I am wondering if there is any other way to do this.

Just to be clear, backing up from USB is IMPOSSIBLE, and Bluetooth is the only connection to a PC that I can manage. I need to know how to backup the applications via bluetooth so I can restore them to the new phone which is working perfectly.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Tom, welcome to the forums,
Unfortunatly, the application loader will not connect to the device using bluetooth. Sorry, you're out of luck on that one. You'll have to redownload your applications to the new device.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
SteveMRose
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon
Question Switch devices does not back up all 3rd party apps

I have also tried this method but by looking at the .alx file I see that it does not include WorldMate Pro 2006, IM+, nor Cryptmagic, all of which were done OTA.

I guess if a 3rd part app was not installed using DM, it is not recognized by the Switch module, even though it is recognized by Application Loader.

Now, I want to upgrade my Verizon 8830 OS to .148 from .66 but do not want to have to reload all my 3rd party apps yet again as I just switched from a 8703e to the 8830.

I guess there is no way around this if I want to update the OS- is there?

Thanks and sorry to be such a newbie- I've had a BB for over 7 years but just used them as supplied until now.

steve rose
Old 09-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
John Clark
BBF Moderator

This is just a backup in case something goes wrong during the normal backup/upgrade/restore process or if the device unexpectedly won't boot and has to be reloaded. There may be a few apps that this method doesn't pick up. However, if you are doing an OS upgrade, Desktop Manager should show all the apps installed on the device and backup and restore everything. There are a few apps where some of the data doesn't restore however. CryptMagic has it's own database on the PC that you can restore back to the device.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:03 AM   #17
KendallParis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Boost

John, I just want to say thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I was a beta tester for Pocket Metro a few years ago and on my first BlackBerry. The program is the best thing to happen to someone that doesn't know New York or their subway system, but it was an OTA download. I could never figure out how to convert it, so it was stuck on the 7100t. The company apparently went out of business, so I couldn't even buy a new copy, and even though people have suggested "equivalent programs," they aren't.

I'd often look at it sitting on that unit while trying to use all of my mental powers to move it over to my 8700g. Every few months or so, I come on the board looking for a way to get it off the 7100t as well as catch up on new stuff for my BlackBerry.

The past two nights, I've searched and searched the threads, downloaded this or that and finally came across this thread...It worked! It worked!

Thank you so much.

And a special thanks to Two Mike Romeo for showing exactly how to search the hidden folders.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:38 AM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

happy to help.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
eykhong
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21C27C4C
Carrier: Rogers

i don't know what i'd do without this forum. thanks to everyone who contributes to this site and saves me many a headache.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #20
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220

for most pc's. you can easily find the temp folder that it is using to temporarily save for the switch. in windows explorer type %temp% and hit enter. that is usually where the folder with your pin will be

if this works for most, then maybe you can sticky it