Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
caldersj

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Browser - help needed on width control

Please Login to Remove!

This question applies to the browser on all recent models. By default, any browser content that is too wide for the display wraps onto the next line, whether in a table, or as free text.

I want to set up an HTML table that is wider than the display, and to have the user scroll left and right to see the hidden columns.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Suggestions gratefully received.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
john.kmiecik
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 6969
Carrier: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldersj View Post
This question applies to the browser on all recent models. By default, any browser content that is too wide for the display wraps onto the next line, whether in a table, or as free text.

I want to set up an HTML table that is wider than the display, and to have the user scroll left and right to see the hidden columns.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Suggestions gratefully received.
With my experience in browsing on the BB, you have to have the emulation set to a real web browser -- IE, Pocket IE etc. -- to get that kind of functionality. I can't remember what pages I've seen use this, but I am pretty confident it can be done. I don't know if it used tables or not (my guess is yes).
Old 06-20-2007, 05:46 AM   #3
caldersj

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.kmiecik View Post
With my experience in browsing on the BB, you have to have the emulation set to a real web browser -- IE, Pocket IE etc. -- to get that kind of functionality. I can't remember what pages I've seen use this, but I am pretty confident it can be done. I don't know if it used tables or not (my guess is yes).
John, would appreciate if you can think of any examples. I've set the browser compatibility to IE, but no luck with the horizontal scrolling.

Many thanks,

Stuart Calder
Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

AFAIK the browser needs to be in Desktop View for that. It's not something that you have direct control over. Formatting control was never an intended function of HTML anyway -- it's left up to the browser.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
caldersj

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
AFAIK the browser needs to be in Desktop View for that. It's not something that you have direct control over. Formatting control was never an intended function of HTML anyway -- it's left up to the browser.
I'm aware this is not an HTML-specific issue. I was looking for a BB config option. I'm not sure what you mean by running the browser in Desktop View?

Many thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
john.kmiecik

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldersj View Post
I'm aware this is not an HTML-specific issue. I was looking for a BB config option. I'm not sure what you mean by running the browser in Desktop View?

Many thanks.
I think he may be referring to the 'Style sheets media type' option at the bottom of the Browser Configuration screen, where you can choose Screen (Desktop?) or Handheld.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
caldersj

Quote:
I think he may be referring to the 'Style sheets media type' option at the bottom of the Browser Configuration screen, where you can choose Screen (Desktop?) or Handheld.
Many thanks for the tip, but didn't seem to make any difference.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
john.kmiecik

Damn! I'm looking around in my settings and I just don't see what he's talking about. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Also, even though it constitutes a hardship on your users, what about using a 3rd party browser such as Opera Mini?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 AM   #9
caldersj

Quote:
Damn! I'm looking around in my settings and I just don't see what he's talking about. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Also, even though it constitutes a hardship on your users, what about using a 3rd party browser such as Opera Mini?
I had considered Opera, but couldn't get it to install on my BB. I'm also concerned that it apparently works by routing all requests via their own proxy server in Norway which reformats content on the way through. I'm not sure how well this would scale to millions of users, or whether it would compromise our ability to control layout.

So, ideally I'd like to make it work in the native BB browser. In fact, it is only a short-term option, as we will build a .NET app once the environment is fully supported (we are not a java shop). Bloomberg provides an app that allows left-right scrolling across a grid with the stock symbol on the left, then various attributes (price, volume, etc.) This will likely be our model too. Obviously in an app you can do anything (e.g. the scrolling in Google maps for the BB, which works very well in my opinion.)

Not life-or-death then, but if you do come across anything, I'd appreciate a note.

Many thanks.
Closed Thread