BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 04:26 AM   #1
tonejarvis

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default BDM Crashing PROBLEM SOLVED

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Guys, I've spent a fair bit of time on these boards and the Internet looking for a solution to the problem that seems to plague a lot of people. Therefore I'm going to tell you how to fix it for good.

OK so I've got Windows XP, Service Pack 1. I was using Blackberry Desktop Manager 3.7 which worked OK. After a rebuilt my laptop I installed BDM 4.0. It sort of worked but then crashed after it worked just once. Nothing I could do would make it work. I then upgraded my XP to SP2. That did nothing for BDM.

So the problem I was having was that it would start the sync but whenever it got to contact or tasks it would crash.

So after several attempts to un-install/re-install BDM, hacking the registery and so on and hours of searching around I found that loads of people had the same problem. After searching through these boards I found lots of suggestions but nothing really worked.

So I took a risk on an age old problem with Outlook - that being corrupt profiles.

So here's the fix.

Create a new outlook profile and then setup your details again. When you start Outlook you'll have to tweak a few things again but it won't take long. Then DELETE YOUR OLD PROFILE!!!!! Once done start BDM and tell it to Synch. It will complain about the profile being missing but you'll be able to change the settings to your new profile and hey presto! you should be synching like a dream.

This worked for me and I was having the same errors as most of you guys so give it a go. You don't lose any data.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
djbeenie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 20F7C0E8
Carrier: TMO

Thanks this fixed my problem!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:21 PM   #3
ProductWizard

Sorry to be an idiot can you tell me in detail how you deleted your outlook profile. Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2005, 08:53 AM   #4
rchoromokos

First time poster with the same problem obviously. Sync crashes when it gets to calendar and contacts and then corrupts the service books on the BB. I'm running 4.0 on the BB and Desktop Mgr. However, I am syncing with the MS Exchange Server at Corporate. They are running 3.7 Redirector.

I think the problem is with MS Outlook on my machine, although I recieved this brand new laptop with XP (BB 7750).

More than a little frustrating. At least the emails are working.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
chrisnol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT
Default sync problem and fix

Could you walk us thru step by step on how to create a new Outlook Profile and how to delte the old one , etc. and direst the BDM to the new profile? Thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
BB_WayCool
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I have the same problem periodically. Its very annoying as I am OK for a while and then it progressively gets worse until I have to refresh. I am using Outlook offline and its my offline folder that gets corrupted. I can fix it temporairly with scanpst, but eventually it becomes unfixable. To fix the problem I go to my offline file, which is called outlook.osf. It can be found typically at C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. After closing Outlook, I rename the file to outlook.old. I then bring Outlook up in online mode and do a send/receive all, which rebuilds the osf file. I have a CRM package that also syncs to Outlook and wonder if that causes the issue or BDM itself. If anyone has any words of wisdom, it would be much appreciated.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:21 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnol
Could you walk us thru step by step on how to create a new Outlook Profile and how to delte the old one , etc. and direst the BDM to the new profile? Thanks
From your Desktop, go into Control Panel
Select the Mail icon
You should (or may) see a "Show Profiles" option
Select it
You should now see your Outlook profiles
At this point, it you have no idea what is in an Outlook profile, please go into the profile (it will probably be called Default or Outlook) and write down the settings (server name, account name, etc.).
Then delete the profiles
Add a new one, and put in the same credentials as the old one

When you restart Desktop Manager, it may ask which profile to use. Use the new one that you just created.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #8
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have a different problem. My BDM crashes on startup. The normal course is that it crashes on startup and then I restart it and it works okay. Sometimes it just keeps crashing after I restart it, over and over again. After a few reboots and some more restarts I can usually get it going.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled, no help.
Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
A4Pike

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T (Cingular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccitman
I have a different problem. My BDM crashes on startup. The normal course is that it crashes on startup and then I restart it and it works okay. Sometimes it just keeps crashing after I restart it, over and over again. After a few reboots and some more restarts I can usually get it going.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled, no help.
Any ideas?
This is the same problem I am having... and also, when I do actually get it to sync, it crashed half way through... only I am using Notes 5.0... any ideas?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #10
MI_BB_TECH

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon
Question Thank you sire may I have another!!

I have the same problem only we are a GroupWise Shop. We have some users that do not want to synchronize wirelessly (Go Figure?!?!) so they want to synch it on their desktops like a palm. When they go to sync they get this: Handheld Tools Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. It does the typical MS error reporting and thats it... I've uninstalled reinstalled DM, wiped the device, nothing seems to work. I was going to upgrade to Desktop 4.2 but It won't let me install that because it says that the isscript.msi is missing. I've checked.. its there.. On the chance it was corrupted I installed a fresh copy and then tried to run it manually... still can't install 4.2. We run XPSP2 on our desktops and GroupWise 6.5.3
Closed Thread