BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #41
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I've had the tour now for about 2 hours and so far have these issues.

1) Placement of the charging port. It makes it pretty well unusable when plugged in. Why couldn't they have moved it higher on the right side? This is going to be a real issue and I think is going to lead to more issues with the usb port breaking (a common problem on the 8830 and 8330 devices). Doesn't EVERYONE use their bb while plugged in? Car AND office. Even a bottom placement would have been preferable to where they put it. I wonder who beta tested this thing!

2) Micro USB charging port. Why did they need to change it? I have a total of about 6 chargers between home, office and cars that will need to be purchased. I know they like to sell accessories, but this is crazy.

3) Changes to the keyboard shortcuts. The eliminated the "R" working for the alarm, something I use multiple times a day. Not sure if any of the other shortcuts have been changed. Is there a way to customize this?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #42
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A

1) I agree-dumb move by Blackberry!

2) The entire mobile system, or at least most of it, is going to the new size USB port so that whatever make phone you buy from now on, one size fits all when it comes to chargers etc.

3) No idea.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #43
sychocism

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyo View Post
2) Micro USB charging port. Why did they need to change it? I have a total of about 6 chargers between home, office and cars that will need to be purchased. I know they like to sell accessories, but this is crazy.
Micro USB is the "standard" that has been adopted by manufacturers. I guess RIM decided to start earlier rather than later.

Universal cell phone chargers coming soon | 3GSM blog - CNET Reviews
Old 07-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #44
nosidam

Quote:

1) Placement of the charging port. It makes it pretty well unusable when plugged in. Why couldn't they have moved it higher on the right side? This is going to be a real issue and I think is going to lead to more issues with the usb port breaking (a common problem on the 8830 and 8330 devices). Doesn't EVERYONE use their bb while plugged in? Car AND office. Even a bottom placement would have been preferable to where they put it. I wonder who beta tested this thing!

3) Changes to the keyboard shortcuts. The eliminated the "R" working for the alarm, something I use multiple times a day. Not sure if any of the other shortcuts have been changed. Is there a way to customize this?
1. Couldn't agree more. I think this is a passive aggressive way to get us to buy their desktop and car cradle chargers, which they'll be happy to sell you for $35+.

2. It's the standard going forward. Until they develop a better one.

3. I'm glad I'm not the only one pissed at this. I use "R" and "F" daily. Not any more. Glad they replaced them with more convenient ways of...oh, right, they didn't.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #45
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosidam View Post
1. Couldn't agree more. I think this is a passive aggressive way to get us to buy their desktop and car cradle chargers, which they'll be happy to sell you for $35+.

2. It's the standard going forward. Until they develop a better one.

3. I'm glad I'm not the only one pissed at this. I use "R" and "F" daily. Not any more. Glad they replaced them with more convenient ways of...oh, right, they didn't.
I don't want to go off on a tangent here, but does anyone realize the natural resources that could be saved if these manufacturers would get together and collaborate on these things such as accessories and chargers? Such a waste to have to buy all new for every new device. Yeah they all tout themselves as green and environmentally conscious...I dont believe it for one minute. The bottom line is all that matters.

I just realized that the F shortcut is also gone...I probably use it more than the R shortcut! Every single meeting I use it to set to silent or vibrate, many times a day. Now I have to waste the left side convenience key and that still only cover one function! Is there ANY way to hack to edit these shortcuts?

Come on RIM...2 steps forward and 1 step backwards?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #46
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
I don't want to go off on a tangent here, but does anyone realize the natural resources that could be saved if these manufacturers would get together and collaborate on these things such as accessories and chargers? Such a waste to have to buy all new for every new device. Yeah they all tout themselves as green and environmentally conscious...I dont believe it for one minute. The bottom line is all that matters.

I just realized that the F shortcut is also gone...I probably use it more than the R shortcut! Every single meeting I use it to set to silent or vibrate, many times a day. Now I have to waste the left side convenience key and that still only cover one function! Is there ANY way to hack to edit these shortcuts?

Push and hold the "Q" for a moment.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #47
michael12005

Model: Tour

Quote:

Oh please. I suppose you think there is really global warming too.......
Old 07-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #48
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael12005 View Post
Oh please. I suppose you think there is really global warming too.......
Ah cmon, was that post really neccessary?. Wow. You do say stuff you shouldnt say. Didn't believe the moderator last time he/she said it but now I see.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!

Last edited by xxDruMMer BoYxx; 07-15-2009 at 09:09 PM..
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #49
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

Quote:

1) Placement of the charging port. It makes it pretty well unusable when plugged in. Why couldn't they have moved it higher on the right side? Doesn't EVERYONE use their bb while plugged in? Car AND office. Even a bottom placement would have been preferable to where they put it. I wonder who beta tested this thing!
I tried to hold off but I had to post.

Do you POSSIBLY understand that using a BlackBerry while charging in your car is a MAJOR hazard? I was almost hit today - TWICE - by some moron who was on his phone in his car.

RIM is a large corporation who may have been pressured to make it just SLIGHTLY less convenient for morons to use the device while driving.

Last edited by lindros2; 07-15-2009 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: removed angry stuff
Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #50
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post

NO YOU MORON, WE DON'T ALL USE IT WHILE PLUGGED IN AND DRIVING.

Do you POSSIBLY understand that using a BlackBerry while charging in your car is a MAJOR hazard? I was almost hit today - TWICE - by some moron who was on his phone in his car.

Have you heard of a Bluetooth headset? Or the fact that using a device like this is an issue while driving?

RIM is a large corporation who may have been pressured to make it just SLIGHTLY less convenient for morons to use the device while driving.
I see where ur coming from, and not trying to justify either...but is it possible that he is talking about maybe the fact that its a little less convenient to hold it some way some how when your charging it? And he did mention using it in the office too.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #51
knhellesky
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Carrier: Sprint

Not splitting your SMS message if it goes above the normal 160 limit.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #52
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post

Did I say that I was using it while driving? Of course I was referring to using it only as a passenger, in which case the issue still persists. I never allow my driver to use a phone while driving.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #53
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyo

As far as the car comment, I will only say that ist hard to type if I am charging the device. Enough said

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #54
zetroc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Love my Tour, it's excellent... I have to send it in and get it replaced. I tried putting in my headphones in today and it wouldn't go in. There is something blocking it inside the headphone jack, as if something in there collapsed and won't let it in... I had already set up my phone exactly how I wanted it... how annoying....
Old 07-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #55
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

Just back it up, whne you get your new one do a restore and it will be exactly the same.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #56
jnyost

Model: 9550

I also hate the USB on the right side. It sucks while trying to use it while plugged in. I wish it had keys that were spaced like my curve.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #57
heffe2001

I will also agree that the charge plug location is very inconvenient, you can' charge the device when it's in the holster now, you have to slide it out to get to the plug location. I also don't like the quality of the holster Verizon supplied with the device, it's a major step down from my Curve holster (which I'm currently using on the Tour, it fits in it ok.

Only way to reach the charge plug port is if you put the Tour in upside down, then the magnet in the holster doesn't trigger it to turn off...

Other than that I'm loving the new phone..
Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #58
Thumbs Must Hurt

Try this, see if the same thing happens on your Tours - it does it on a coworkers...

At the end of a call, hit the Red Phone button to disconnect, then hit the Red Phone button again to quickly close the disconnect screen. I've always done this will all my BBs - and I end up on the home screen, so I can quickly do something else.

On my buddies Tour, it doesn't do this - it pops up a screen asking if I want to leave the call.

Very annoying - curious if it is doing this to anyone else?
Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #59
tj13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0100010 View Post
Try this, see if the same thing happens on your Tours - it does it on a coworkers...

At the end of a call, hit the Red Phone button to disconnect, then hit the Red Phone button again to quickly close the disconnect screen. I've always done this will all my BBs - and I end up on the home screen, so I can quickly do something else.

On my buddies Tour, it doesn't do this - it pops up a screen asking if I want to leave the call.

Very annoying - curious if it is doing this to anyone else?
i thought it was something i was doing, i guess not.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #60
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
Push and hold the "Q" for a moment.
Dude! You rock! You've made me a much, much less cranky person. Thank you!

(it's even compatible with qsms!)

Is there a complete list of Tour shortcuts somewhere?
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250

Last edited by kurichan; 07-17-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Closed Thread