BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #21
tdiplacito

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry to hear about all the bad luck. We have nine at the office here and they are FANTASTIC! WTG RIM. I haven't even missed the 3G.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
gadgeticfanatic, please edit your comments to delete the insults.

I don't consider "OCD riddled bb freak" to be an insult. I mean doesn't that describe most of us here??
Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #23
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I think the OP might take it personal at this point, seeing the other posts in the thread.

Let's just keep it polite, you know what I mean?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #24
Ash Li

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi
I have a new 8900. I've noticed some play in the battery door (a very small amount), the keyboard has movement if I jiggle it about (so I don't), and a slight ripple.

My honest opinion (and just IMHO) is that the thread originator is a little unrealistic in his expectations. Life is short dude, and real problems are plenty. Don't drive yourself mental trying to find a handset that is perfect as it probably doesn't exist! I reckon that the more handsets you look at, the more problems you'll find.

I speak as a recovering anal muppet, trying hard to chill and run with the chaos!!

Peace

Last edited by Ash Li; 02-16-2009 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #25
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

I would be pretty upset to come across several defective blackberry's in a row, considering that I haven't personally experienced a bad one yet. To put that in context: as CTO for a financial services firm in NYC a couple of years ago, I had my telecom team provide about 60 of our staff with blackberry's over a 2 year period. With incoming staff, spares, lenders, "lost" devices and careless damage, we probably went distributed -- and managed -- about 90 to 100 blackberry's in that time period. We ran the gamut with 8700's, 8800's, 8100's, 8300's -- and we never saw a hardware or other physical defect. The only issues we saw related to firmware bugs, occasional problems with BES, and your garden variety Microsoft issues (such as the clever change in security rules screwing up BES "send as" capabilities for anyone with domain admin rights!).

I've personally used an 8700, 8800, 8100, 8300 -- and now an 8900. I use my blackberry about 14 or 15 hours a day, almost never turn it off, carry it everywhere -- and have yet to have a hardware or physical problem with any of them. I remember when so many people were posting about the dust intrusion issue with the Curve -- I watched mine every day SO closely for signs of this happening, and it never did. For some reason, I also don't see anyone posting about that particular issue anymore (odd -- did it stop happening somehow?).

Anyway -- we may all have different experiences, and I would be the last to deny that it's possible for somebody else to have a bad run of luck. However, of all the mobile phone devices I've used in the past 16 years, I have to say that Blackberry's have been, by far, the most consistent, most reliable, and least bug-ridden. Not perfect -- and I wish they'd test their firmware releases a bit more thoroughly, but as a general rule, Blackberry's have performed incredibly well for me and my staff (and friends, associates, etc).
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #26
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

To the OP: where were the (defective) models PRODUCED?

I have a Storm which was assembled in Canada, and apparently the build quality is far better than the Mexican ones.

I just configured two Curve 8900's yesterday, and both were prefect. No screen ripple, no wobbly keyboards.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 AM   #27
goodboy7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: verizon

I've got the Curve 8900 last Feb 12, shipped to me and have no complaints. The video camera and screen is perfect, no wobbly keyboard (it's actually better than my ex-8320, IMO), no loose battery door. I agree with the battery life being so short, but I use the same ritual I have with my 8320 - to always charge it at night before going to bed. Besides, I don't use my phone a lot.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #28
velocity92c
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T Mobile

lol, this is the most ridiculous thread I've ever read on these forums. not trying to personally attack or insult you, but you're being far too picky. it's one thing to have high expectations of a device that costs a lot of money, it's another to have unrealistic expectations of said device.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #29
Insurgent
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
I would be pretty upset to come across several defective blackberry's in a row, considering that I haven't personally experienced a bad one yet. To put that in context: as CTO for a financial services firm in NYC a couple of years ago, I had my telecom team provide about 60 of our staff with blackberry's over a 2 year period. With incoming staff, spares, lenders, "lost" devices and careless damage, we probably went distributed -- and managed -- about 90 to 100 blackberry's in that time period. We ran the gamut with 8700's, 8800's, 8100's, 8300's -- and we never saw a hardware or other physical defect. The only issues we saw related to firmware bugs, occasional problems with BES, and your garden variety Microsoft issues (such as the clever change in security rules screwing up BES "send as" capabilities for anyone with domain admin rights!).

I've personally used an 8700, 8800, 8100, 8300 -- and now an 8900. I use my blackberry about 14 or 15 hours a day, almost never turn it off, carry it everywhere -- and have yet to have a hardware or physical problem with any of them. I remember when so many people were posting about the dust intrusion issue with the Curve -- I watched mine every day SO closely for signs of this happening, and it never did. For some reason, I also don't see anyone posting about that particular issue anymore (odd -- did it stop happening somehow?).

Anyway -- we may all have different experiences, and I would be the last to deny that it's possible for somebody else to have a bad run of luck. However, of all the mobile phone devices I've used in the past 16 years, I have to say that Blackberry's have been, by far, the most consistent, most reliable, and least bug-ridden. Not perfect -- and I wish they'd test their firmware releases a bit more thoroughly, but as a general rule, Blackberry's have performed incredibly well for me and my staff (and friends, associates, etc).
This is feeling I get from RIM and the BlackBerry ecosystem in general. The whole "it just works" dichotomy rings true for many users (business and consumer). My first BlackBerry device is actually the 8900 but I have used the 87xx, 81xx, 83xx and the 9000 and with the degree of technicality undertaken on server and communication integration for these to be such good phones as well is quite a feat. Its only the most recent consumer focused BlackBerrys that have faced such a bad wrap when it comes to things like phone launches and such.

My first 8900 was fine but I did complain somewhat about the battery life and such, I also had an unhandled exception upon startup but these issues didn't bother me at all as the next OS would most likely solve said issues. I accidentally scratched my phone's screen and after scrambling to establish whether I needed a case or a new phone I got a new device sent to me when I sent my phone off for repairs.

The new device has had none of the OS bugs that my previous one did and I've upgraded the OS twice to take advantage of the improved battery life in the subsequent iterations. I am pleased with my experience of the 8900 dispite having a creaky door on all my devices and a tiny amount of keyboard movement in my more recent device. I have no quarms with any of these small things, its a world better than the 83xx generation Curve which is the previous benchmark.